Nottingham Forest v Derby County

Ovis aries

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: :lol:

Unbelievable.

Why?

At the moment I think we'd all agree that Derby are playing at 70-80%.

We haven't found our pace or aggression. The basics are there but we need a bit of kick up the arse.

Yet teams are struggling to beat us. Forest created less than anyone else we've played I think. I don't think you were at your best but I wouldn't swap with you

Why?

At the moment I think we'd all agree that Derby are playing at 70-80%.

We haven't found our pace or aggression. The basics are there but we need a bit of kick up the arse.

Yet teams are struggling to beat us. Forest created less than anyone else we've played I think. I don't think you were at your best but I wouldn't swap with you

Everything you say (except the pace bit) could be said about Forest. We've not played well for an entire game yet, we've had good spells in games but not for the entire 90. Yet we're unbeaten and clear at the top of the table.

All the players and Pearce himself all say that we need to improve and that we haven't hit our straps yet. But by simply being hard to score against and having players up front that can produce a moment of magic as you saw yesterday we're doing enough to get by.

I was disappointed with Derby (or is that relieved?). I expected more in an attacking sense from the top scorers last season and favourites to go up at the start of the season. Yet you barely threatened and Darlow could've lit a cigar up and sat in the Trent End in the first half.

Daz, I can't believe you thought all our defenders played well - if there was ever a chance to criticise Buxton, it was yesterday. He had a stinker. His distribution was off colour, he was very fortunate not to give away a penalty, he fully deserved that second yellow and I'd even go so far as to say it's his fault Keogh felt compelled to step out of line for the goal.

He doesn't look fit for me, still - I like Bucko as much as the next man, but this is the perfect time to try out the Whitbread Keogh partnership again. Buxton needs to cool off and rest that hip.

I missed that, what happened?

Everything you say (except the pace bit) could be said about Forest. We've not played well for an entire game yet, we've had good spells in games but not for the entire 90. Yet we're unbeaten and clear at the top of the table.

All the players and Pearce himself all say that we need to improve and that we haven't hit our straps yet. But by simply being hard to score against and having players up front that can produce a moment of magic as you saw yesterday we're doing enough to get by.

I was disappointed with Derby (or is that relieved?). I expected more in an attacking sense from the top scorers last season and favourites to go up at the start of the season. Yet you barely threatened and Darlow could've lit a cigar up and sat in the Trent End in the first half.

Tbh I thought it went slightly wrong for us when we picked our RB based on who we were playing. I think that gave some clue into how we were going to be fairly reactive to what you do.

As for improving... We know how we can play so we know what we level we can reach. I don't think you can say the same for Forest. It's all unknown with you?

imo Derby are playing to our favourites tag. Probably on my own in this thought but it's like we are waiting for the inevitable storming unstoppable football.

It's not inevitable though.

I'm hoping for better performances in the next few games over the last few. We lack aggression.

The thing with Forest is, I can't really see what their game plan is, attacking wise.  Their entire attack seems to consist of players that can run quickly in a straight line, and not much else.  There's not much creativity or guile, barring Reid (who's never fit), and there doesn't seem to be that much thought gone into how they're going to score goals.  They have wingers, but not really much of a target in the middle.  They've got pacy forwards, but not really anyone to play through balls for them to run onto.  They've got strength up front to move defenders around, but they don't get midfield runners into the spaces.  It all seems very incoherent.  They're decent at the back and work hard, but they're just relying on a bit of brilliance from Antonio or Assombalonga to win them games.  And sooner or later that's going to dry up, or they're going to pick up a few injuries, and they will struggle.  I still think they'll be up around the playoffs, but I don't think they're going to romp away with the league or anything.

First and foremost we should play players who are fit... Bucko was clearly struggling and only reason with it must be his injury. And Bryson should've been taken off earlier as he was not in the game after the hit.

Interesting to see line-up against Rovers.

Daz, I can't believe you thought all our defenders played well - if there was ever a chance to criticise Buxton, it was yesterday. He had a stinker. His distribution was off colour, he was very fortunate not to give away a penalty, he fully deserved that second yellow and I'd even go so far as to say it's his fault Keogh felt compelled to step out of line for the goal.

He doesn't look fit for me, still - I like Bucko as much as the next man, but this is the perfect time to try out the Whitbread Keogh partnership again. Buxton needs to cool off and rest that hip.

Buxtons worse game in a long while, dont remember the last time he was that poor.

Chance for Whitbread or Shotton to take the spot

Personally thought Keogh had a fantastic game, won every thing in the air, his one mistake was chasing the ball for there goal

Not normally one to moan at Keogh because he gets it enough but why on earth did he go to close Antonio down and leave Assombalonga unmarked. Made Shotton have to come out of position too and then it was over. 

He was under orders to chase Antonio down to help Shotton, but that was to cover right back, no need for him to go charging out

He was under orders to chase Antonio down to help Shotton, but that was to cover right back, no need for him to go charging out

came from a completely different position on the pitch. I've watched it a couple of times. Looks like neither Bucko or Keogh knew who was marking Assombalonga. Was a shambles. 

I don't mind that he charged out.

How many times did we concede goals last season because we let midfield runners advance to the edge of our box and shoot? Far too many times. The whole issue of closing down was something we needed to improve on.

Yes, it was Buxton's man and Assombalonga was Keogh's. But, for me, Buxton hesitated and dithered and I think it's encouraging to see the captain take charge of the situation and try and do something about it. Poor judgment but, if no-one closed him down, they'd have probably scored anyway.

Point was probably fair. Typical derby game - scrappy affair full of cards (though probably not enough) and tackles with very few chances.

I thought the ref was poor, should've stamped out the bad treatment Antonio was getting early on. How Shotton escaped a booking I'll never know. He arguably could've gone for constantly fouling before Buxton did. Same with Useless Eustace. Buxton's red was fair as he clearly heard the whistle, hesitated for a second then thundered in with a second tackle. We could've had 2 penalties (1 definite handball in 1st half) as well.

Convenient how you forgot to mention Lansbury's shin-raking on Hughes or Assombalonga's elbow on Bryson (the former, in particular, was completely indefensible).

Two penalties, my arse. Absolutely laughable how biased you are :rolleyes:

came from a completely different position on the pitch. I've watched it a couple of times. Looks like neither Bucko or Keogh knew who was marking Assombalonga. Was a shambles. 

I think the plan was for Assombalonga to be marked by Buxton and Keogh to have a bit more free reign to step out and help Eustace or accross to the right to help Shotton. Worked well most of the game

What are you comparing that too? As you've said this is a new team, how do you know you can get better? 

I'm not saying you can't, but you're just imagining a standard and saying 'well, my team can play to that because I imagined they can' - you could say they have played well in patches, just as every team in the country play well in patches, but that's a sorry indication over overall team performance. At least we're going off the back of last season and not our imaginations  :lol: 

I don't think you can judge either team by this game, really. It was clearly a game played on pure reaction and very few players had good games.

What manager wouldn't say the same thing at this stage in the season?

I remember one season under Clough, we won our first 4 or 5 games, but we didn't look any good. We all got delusional, saying "just imagine what we'll be like when we really get going"...well we never did, we eventually got found out and we sank to mid-table without a trace.

For the record, I'm not comparing your current side with that side because we all know you've got a decent team - there's no debate on that. The debate is in what 'decent' means.

You laughed at me suggesting you were riding the crest of a wave - in what world, exactly, can a club sitting top of the table with a 100% home record, managed by a recently appointed club legend, be described as anything else as "riding the crest of a wave"? There have been 23 teams worse than you this far.

You may have more in you but don't pretend that it wasn't a difficult time to play you.

I still believe we have a team which has got what it takes to finish above you - whether we will or not, I wouldn't want to say.

Seemed pretty even overall and to be foir, I think both teams can do better.

For them, Alonngerdonga looked good, shame for the injured lads, seemed to be unfortunate not due to anything untowrd in each case, worked hard.

For us:

Keogh, Hughs and Dawkins 2nd half were good, nice to see Fozzy go forward, Promising from Calero and Ibe, shame about Bucko and Martin left his shoting boots someplace. Showed character.

Shame that some numpties ran on the pitch, it was when we were getting on top too. grizzle.

One to forget, we got a match Wednesday :)

Archived