Cyrus Christie against fulham

South Ram

Christie has more attacking ability than Wisdom, looks reasonably imposing as a defender - and we already know Forsyth is excellent in attack and an improving defender.

It's interesting game-by-game to watch the pair, as I also think there's an element of the team (and the coaches) feeling their way into games to see which full back is having the most success going forward on his flank. 

It's not wise to let them both go 'gung-ho' of course, so Forsyth might have a stronger defensive brief (oo-er, missus) as Christie is allowed to vamp up his wing and exploit the spaces. As said, he seems to have sparked with Ward too, they tormented Fulham together.

Anyhow, looks like we have a brace of talented full backs and the thorny matter of replacing Wisdom doesn't seem an issue.

With 'Super 'Gl-ue-stace', our warhorse holding player in front of Keogh & Buxton, the team had a solid look and the platform they created for Hughes and Dawkins to open up Fulham late in the game was very exciting.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christies pace and power is probably unrivaled by any RB in the league. There were times where he absolutely tore down that right flank he will be a great attacking asset this season. He looked pretty composed defensively as well Wisdom-esque at times obviously still work to do though.

I am not too sure about him cutting onto his left foot so much though at the edge of their area sometimes I would like him to flash it across the box for the forward runners or cross it to Martin that's my only real negative of him and its a small one at that.

Colossus?   You appear to be easily pleased, he had a better game, possibly his best so far.

Nishy was good but I would put Buckley, M. Forsyth and Chris Powell far ahead of Christie.

I like to get carried away in the moment, but was the most exciting full back performance I'd seen for ages, as a one off better than any of those you have mentioned from my own memory, ok some of those were very consistent over a long period, though Micky Forsyth was more of a defensive player rather than an exciting overlapper I'd say so wouldn't have me in a slobbering wreck very often.

Colossus?   You appear to be easily pleased, he had a better game, possibly his best so far.

Nishy was good but I would put Buckley, M. Forsyth and Chris Powell far ahead of Christie.

Why are we comparing our new right back to our old left backs?

Played great. As others have said he was out on his feet in the last 10 minutes but was still getting up and down.

Got caught out of position twice that I saw and both of these were after being up front and working his way back, not from a starting defensive position so that is to be expected. 

Really pleased with the lad and if he continues or even improves we will have a massive find on our hands.

The curtailing of Forsyths attacking is clear instructions from the bench as every time Forsyth had the ball, or was in space to receive it he was looking over to the other wing to see where Cyrus was, if he was already up, he held the ball back or played it off and worked his way back to continue his excellent defensive work. The only time he didn't look over was when there was a bit of pressure from him and Ward at the time and their players got caught out and Forsyth broke forward, all the rest came with a glance over. 

:wacko: What the **** has Ashley Cole got to do with the original comments regarding Cyrus Christie?

You compared Christie to a number of left backs, but failed to differentiate between them. I then pointed out that if it were just picking 4 full backs for England, Ashley Cole would have been selected. It is called a fashioning an example to back up one's argument.

You compared Christie to a number of left backs, but failed to differentiate between them. I then pointed out that if it were just picking 4 full backs for England, Ashley Cole would have been selected. It is called a fashioning an example to back up one's argument.

Yeah, right.

Could also be called deviating from the point of the thread which is based on the merits of Cyrus Christie as a full back, my comparisons were in response to the fact that Christie was rated as the best since David Nish, I quoted Derby County full backs who I considered to be better, to my scant knowledge [69 years] I don't recollect Ashley Cole playing for DCFC.

Archived