Malky Mackay and Iain Moody 'sexist, racist and homophobic' text messages

Gary Teale

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be honest: have you ever - ever - looked at a woman and thought "I'd do her" or something along those lines? Because if you have then - by your reckoning - you should lose your job.  If the answer is yes then your boss should probably expect your resignation on their desk on Tuesday.

As I mentioned earlier ... threads like this reveal a great deal about the way that certain individuals carry themselves.

I am a straight, red blooded male. I am wired the same way as you...we all have desires.

That does not mean i see a woman's existence, because she appears to be physically attractive, as purely for the purpose of my own gratification. Think it? Maybe ... but watch your behaviour, and keep it in check.

Grow up.

Yep those thousands of page three girls, hated being ogled .

Ditto. Behavioural lessons required.

I'm not buying this sexist argument at all, if I said women shouldn't play football that would be sexist, not talking about a woman's boobs, 'kin ell hundreds of thousands of men have probably talked about another woman's boobs at some point today, to have a pop at Malky for that is laughable

You are missing the point.

Here is a man, probably in his fourties or fifties, with a family, in a position of responsibility, of representing his community, communicating in a professional CONTEXT (look the word up ... it is vitally important in this debate)...with one of his employees, whilst simultaneously making a crude and puerile comment about a woman's physical attributes.

I have no doubt that the woman in question is very attractive indeed...but I am afraid that Malky Mackay is no longer 'one of the lads' ... whether he accepts it or not. His landscape has changed, and he should have been behaving as such.

The man behaved like a complete and utter prat. Tough ****. Totally unacceptable.

Again ... it is an issue of personal behavioural standards, and about the way in which we carry ourselves.

I employ people, juniors, people much younger than myself...some of them attractive, bubbly young women, a couple of my staff over the years, shock horror, have the temerity and arrogance to have boob jobs. Can you believe that? How dare they?

However, I do not sit there constantly making judgements about the size of their knockers...because I am a mature adult within a professional context, and not some teenager on the piss with the boys in Magaluf.

Laughable the lot of it really.

If Stan Collymore, Ched Evans and Lee Hughes can still get jobs in football then why can't Malky Mackay?

Also, it's yet another PC brigade going so far overboard it's ridiculous.

Homophobe? Better ban all of those Mexican fans who shout everytime a goalkeeper takes a goal-kick then.

Sexist? Are you serious? A private message between two men talking about a woman's knockers? Feck me you'd have to ban almost all the guys in the country if that was the case. Also, didn't Paul Jewell pay to have sex with a woman? Didn't see him get the sack.

Racist? Luis Suarez got an eight-match ban for it and was still loved by Liverpool all the same. I don't condone it, but if you're going to ban a guy for a racist joke in private, then once again you'll have to ban almost every guy in the workforce.

"There aren't many black people on that list" erm, didn't some people recently throw a hissy fit because the PL managerial roster is too "white" and the FA board was also too "white"

Complete, utter, overraction. 

You are missing the point.

Here is a man, probably in his fourties or fifties, with a family, in a position of responsibility, of representing his community, communicating in a professional CONTEXT (look the word up ... it is vitally important in this debate)...with one of his employees, whilst simultaneously making a crude and puerile comment about a woman's physical attributes.

I have no doubt that the woman in question is very attractive indeed...but I am afraid that Malky Mackay is no longer 'one of the lads' ... whether he accepts it or not. His landscape has changed, and he should have been behaving as such.

The man behaved like a complete and utter prat. Tough ****. Totally unacceptable.

Again ... it is an issue of personal behavioural standards, and about the way in which we carry ourselves.

I employ people, juniors, people much younger than myself...some of them attractive, bubbly young women, a couple of my staff over the years, shock horror, have the temerity and arrogance to have boob jobs. Can you believe that? How dare they?

However, I do not sit there constantly making judgements about the size of their knockers...because I am a mature adult within a professional context, and not some teenager on the piss with the boys in Magaluf.

This.

Hit the nail on the head far better than my ramblings.

Don't understand why some on here are having a hard time getting this point.

As I mentioned earlier ... threads like this reveal a great deal about the way that certain individuals carry themselves.

I am a straight, red blooded male. I am wired the same way as you...we all have desires.

That does not mean i see a woman's existence, because she appears to be physically attractive, as purely for the purpose of my own gratification. Think it? Maybe ... but watch your behaviour, and keep it in check.

Grow up.

Ditto. Behavioural lessons required.

Also reveals how some view themselves.

The views are prehistoric, but they don't break any laws with respect to hate speech, because they are not INCITING hatred. You can think what you want, and you can say what you want, but unless you are inciting others to take action, you are (at least in law) doing nothing wrong.

I understand the law but the FA and the footballing community are not the law. A chairman is quite within his rights to not go anywhere near MM or IM because of those texts and I hope that is the case. (which is what I meant by 'and more' as obviously the FA cannot stop them working in football permanently) 

And I'm not defending him by saying that at all - I'm arguing that punishing people for holding opinions which you dislike is a very slippery slope.  What happens if a view that you hold becomes anathema?  Should people be screened for their views on abortion, suicide, the NHS, benefits?  A lot of people have very strong views about those things and are convinced they are in the right about them.

I understand where you are coming from but people's opinions on the things you list are often central to debates and as such there are pros and cons to be argued for both sides (regardless of whether I agree with the pros or the cons) I really don't see any pros to the comments/attitudes had by MM and IM and I doubt I'll ever be convinced that what they said are acceptable in any walk of life never mind one which brings him into contact with people of all social/ethnic backgrounds. 

Absurd? A cursory glance at history tells you it's not. Just because you can't conceive of a time when racism and sexism might be the norm doesn't mean it'll never happen.  I think the desire to suppress the opinions of others that you find distasteful to be dictatorial and extremely dangerous.

To people in Saudi Arabia, the idea of religious freedom is absurd. The idea of gender equality is absurd.  They think just like you do; the notion that women should be subservient to men is, to them, the norm.  They can't see why their view of morality will ever be wrong either.  And that's not 70 years hence - it's now.

Yes but we've come forwards from then and I highly doubt we'd slip backwards 60/70 years where those awful opinions are the norm. 

Islam is by all accounts (like most religions) awfully stuck in its ways which are overly dated. The majority of Muslims I know agree that their religion needs change in its views on gender equality etc....but I'd rather we avoided religion as it is a delicate area for a lot of people and not something I'd like to get into on a public forum. 

Archived