Did Dawks flip the travelling fans the bird??

CheltenhamRam

Well I wasn't as close to the dug outs as Cheltenham's brother but I was down in the corner of the rams fans on that side of the pitch.

Derby wanted to make the substitution and JR was ready and stripped off. Dawson's number came up on the board and he trudged off to general applause from the Rams fans. There was one young guy in front of me only, who gave Dawks some grief but he sat down when he realised he was the only one. For reasons known only to himself the ref then refused to let the substitution happen - I've no idea why except that he was a tit all night - so Dawks came back on for another couple of minutes until there was another break in play. He came off again, again with general applause though not quite as prolonged given the ref's titting around. I saw Dawks look at the crowd and clap the fans. All in all this was NOT a Sheff Wednesday episode, from the fans reaction anyway.

I thought he was much better tonight, especially in the first half. Anyone who accuses him of not trying is just wrong. Some of what he tried didn't come off but he wasn't alone in that. But he played some good football, especially in the first half.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As other have said, the cheer was for the sub finally being allowed to happen.

Nobody knew why the sub was stopped the first time, everything was ready but then play just carried on. 

I didnt hear any boos, just ironic cheers.

And he didnt play bad tonight at all, their were far worse Derby players.

Don't understand all this anti-Dawkins rhetoric all of the time.

I think he is a very useful and dangerous player...again, played well last night.

The ****** will always pick one out to have a go at though. 

We couldn't possibly imagine digging out Jake Buxton for for example, for being utterly naive and desperately limited ... no .way ... .. because he 'gets stuck in'

So predictable.

The only time Dawks has looked anywhere near the player he was last season, was against Carlisle in the cup. He's been misplacing simple balls, showing shocking touches, which, considering what we are aiming for promotion, is simply unacceptable. When you get the basics right, the rest soon follows. Unfortunately Dawks, and a fair few others I might add, aren't.

The only time Dawks has looked anywhere near the player he was last season, was against Carlisle in the cup. He's been misplacing simple balls, showing shocking touches, which, considering what we are aiming for promotion, is simply unacceptable. When you get the basics right, the rest soon follows. Unfortunately Dawks, and a fair few others I might add, aren't.

It is a long old season ... 

I've said this many times already ... but it is unbelievably EARLY.

Dawkins will be fine - he has got plenty of ability. I am a fan of his - and think the criticism of him on here is borderline lunacy.

It is a very easy game to master from the stands...not so when you are actually out there on the pitch with the pressure on.

People should relax ... good players are good players. With a bit of patience and matches under our belts ... that will be proven..

It is a long old season ... 

I've said this many times already ... but it is unbelievably EARLY.

Dawkins will be fine - he has got plenty of ability. I am a fan of his - and think the criticism of him on here is borderline lunacy.

It is a very easy game to master from the stands...not so when you are actually out there on the pitch with the pressure on.

People should relax ... good players are good players. With a bit of patience and matches under our belts ... that will be proven..

An honest question, did you see any of his performance against Sheffield Wednesday?

I reserve the right the criticise any football player, especially at this level, who played some of those passes. 5 yard balls, just rolling out of play...

I have every faith that his quality will shine through eventually, but at the moment, it's not good enough, from a number of players, not just Dawkins.

No I didn't ... but I have seen plenty enough of the lad to not start having a cardiac arrest about one shaky performance. By the sounds of it the whole game against Wednesday was a war of attrition.

Get over it.

The point is - we came away from that game totally unscathed. All players have off days. Fact. Anyway - I understand Russell missed a sitter ... did you dig him out as well for not taking a guilt edged chance? Sometimes ... that is football.

Dawkins has played decently enough overall, his ability is of good calibre, and he played well last night.

I think we all tend to get a little bit carried away with this game sometimes.

Relax - it is August 20th ... 43 games to go.

Has he really though? 2 or 3 goals in 30 odd games. Minimal assists.

Is that good enough for top two?

I don't know ... ask McClaren.

He is a former England manager who has worked with the very best in the game,  who sees the lad every day in training, and apparently knows nothing. Obviously finishing third in the league with Dawkins in the side more often than not was a fluke.

Football is not a game played on paper, gentlemen. How many goals has Russell scored? Yet he is to some of you, the best thing since sliced bread. Why? Because he 'gets stuck in' a bit more?

Dawkins offers good ability and technique, good thrust, can dribble, and knows when to play it simple...as a player - he is an asset to us, and to our style.

If you can't see that, you don't know the game.

Whilst I agree with your points and I'm sure he will come good.

Dawks did not have a good game last night, I do think he has the ability to be a top player just not firing at the moment.

If you like at Ward last night he was drifting in to collect the ball because he wasn't getting enough of it.

Dawks stayed on the touchline and didn't bother to run at them with any pace or trickery.

I just thought that his performance with most of the team was under par last night.

I don't know ... ask McClaren.

He is a former England manager who has worked with the very best in the game,  who sees the lad every day in training, and apparently knows nothing. Obviously finishing third in the league with Dawkins in the side more often than not was a fluke.

Football is not a game played on paper, gentlemen. How many goals has Russell scored? Yet he is to some of you, the best thing since sliced bread. Why? Because he 'gets stuck in' a bit more?

Dawkins offers good ability and technique, good thrust, can dribble, and knows when to play it simple...as a player - he is an asset to us, and to our style.

If you can't see that, you don't know the game.

Fans know this. It's the fact that, this season, it hasn't been shown! Russell had more clear cut chances in 25 minutes than Dawkins had in 65 vs. Wednesday. 

Dawkins helped kick start the season last year really when he came in and played through that long unbeaten run while on loan, bringing much more fluidity to the team,  injuries prevented him having a consistent run of games after that, he got crocked just before we played Forest and didn't get a sustained run of games afterwards.

If you look on twitter he has mostly said how great the fans and support are, so not sure why all the vitriol suddenly so early in the season. Just thinking part of it may be that Russell has a cult hero status with some of the louder sets of fans, and they want him in the team no matter how he plays (he wasn't good in the early games so dropped to sub).

Since he has come off the bench, he has looked quite lively so think it might be a good idea to put him back in and let Dawkins change a game from the sidelines himself to get back in peoples good books (opinions seems mixed as to whether he played well or not at Charlton, some very contrasting opinions!)

Dawkins helped kick start the season last year really when he came in and played through that long unbeaten run while on loan, bringing much more fluidity to the team,  injuries prevented him having a consistent run of games after that, he got crocked just before we played Forest and didn't get a sustained run of games afterwards.

If you look on twitter he has mostly said how great the fans and support are, so not sure why all the vitriol suddenly so early in the season. Just thinking part of it may be that Russell has a cult hero status with some of the louder sets of fans, and they want him in the team no matter how he plays (he wasn't good in the early games so dropped to sub).

The most sense i have read in the whole Dawkins debate ... at last - some balance!

Great point about Russell too ...it is just part of the make-up of most Derby fans to favour the lads who are a bit rougher and tougher... a bit more 'game' if you like.

I accept that - but it makes 'Fancy Dans' such as Dawkins the victim of some ridiculous ranting...which i think is thoroughly unfair on the lad.

For me the Dawkins issue is down to his great controll, pace, vision and lack of end product. If you are looking for a player with good technique and controll you'll see him as a decent footballer. If you want someone to put a good ball in, get a shot off or make a burst through the defence for a 1-on-1 you'll be pretty dissapointed with what Dawkins has to offer.

Russell on the other hand tickes the boxes Dawkins struggles with but he uses his pace rather than skill to beat a man. The big difference for me being when we are struggling to get through I feel Russell could always pop up with something but Dawkins doesn't seem to have that in his locker.

A big part of football is confidence, and Dawkins doesn't look to have it so far this season. It's not just him, though.

I detest fans getting on a players back, but on so many occasions last night and v Wednesday he made such basic errors that it was difficult not to take note.

Russell should start, and Dawkins needs to force his way back into the team with improved performances. IMO.

Archived