Did Dawks flip the travelling fans the bird??

CheltenhamRam

For me the Dawkins issue is down to his great controll, pace, vision and lack of end product. If you are looking for a player with good technique and controll you'll see him as a decent footballer. If you want someone to put a good ball in, get a shot off or make a burst through the defence for a 1-on-1 you'll be pretty dissapointed with what Dawkins has to offer.

Russell on the other hand tickes the boxes Dawkins struggles with but he uses his pace rather than skill to beat a man. The big difference for me being when we are struggling to get through I feel Russell could always pop up with something but Dawkins doesn't seem to have that in his locker.

Its interesting that on stats their goal record is very similar since Russell moved out to play wide, he has scored 5 in that period to Dawkins 4 in a very similar number of games (between 25-30 I think) so although I would agree Russell would appear to have more outright goal threat the figures don't really back that up.

All Russell's other goals came when he played more down the middle under Clough. Wide players don't tend to have very high scoring ratios generally apart from the odd one.

Perhaps we are misusing the phrase winger in Dawkins case, as he is probably more of a wide midfielder, in that he mostly plays across the pitch in this respect.

Certainly the game at Sheffield was his worst to date but rumblings has already started before that yet he clearly for me played better than Russell in both the home games - that is against Rotherham and Rangers (the latter where he was probably MoM).

All I can remember about Russell in those games is him continually losing the ball very cheaply which ended with me tearing my hair out and I now hardly have any left!

Also how would the crowd have reacted had Dawkins missed those chances Russell missed, not quite as favourably I shouldn't think! But personally would have played Russell at Charlton as he had at least looked lively again coming on as sub (though as we have seen with Sammon that doesn't always translate into playing a good 90 mins in the next match).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

correct me if im wrong ... weve played 5 matches this season including 1 cup game ....  Dawkins hasn't completed the full game in any ....?    please read into that what you wish ...yes I will be the first to admit im no admirer of Dawkins ......  but would love him to prove me wrong this season ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has Russell completed a full game either? Not being funny but just because someone is substituted doesn't necessarily mean they have been poor, its just swapping things around to try and get something different in the game sometimes. Can be that the best players can be subbed off in order to save them for a future match too.

Not being pedantic ..but Will Hughes  hasn't completed every game  :D ...   and yes the list could go on ...  but imo  Smc must see something in Dawkins that others don't ....and will reiterate  I hope Dawkins proves me wrong this season

emphasis on "  WHEN HE FIRST CAME "   :D   .....  I did think he did have some qualities ....   but when he signed permanently ..  imo  he didn't appear to have the same qualities .... and since his record proves me right ... but I still hope he proves me wrong

correct me if im wrong ... weve played 5 matches this season including 1 cup game ....  Dawkins hasn't completed the full game in any ....?    please read into that what you wish ...yes I will be the first to admit im no admirer of Dawkins ......  but would love him to prove me wrong this season ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, you are absolutely correct.

However, we nearly always substitute one or both wide men. It's probably why we finish matches strongly - fresh creative players running defences ragged.

yea he missed a sitter before he scored.

Fulham were rubbish they just fell apart.

Haters gonna hate.

What about the TWO sitters that Russell missed at Sheffield? Or the open goal that Martin missed yesterday?

Archived