Derby after Chris Wood - According to Sky Sports

AdamRusty15

Nooooooooooooo, slow lump, not needed.

Two years ago people were screaming disaster when he went to Leicester for "such a low fee", now we wouldn't take him because he's a slow lump? He's a young natural goalscorer who has a presence on the field. I'd have him.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we'd dodged this bullet.

Scary times when words like "Zigic" and "Wood" were being thrown about. There's wardrobes with more pace and excitement.

Pretty sure zigic was never a thing. Just some breast on here.

Wood is too slow to be cover for Chris 'the flash' Martin? Seriously?

I doubt it will happen, but most top sides carry several strikers and we have been struggling in that department for years. Last season we were so lucky that Martin was available for all but two(?) games. Fifteen matches with Sammon up front and we wouldn't have been at Wembley.

The tail end of the "Wolves get knocked out of the League Cup" match report on the BBC site mentions that the Wood deal is dead. Wolves couldn't agree terms with the player OR the club..

Would I like him at Derby? Well he was absolutely on-fire when he started with Leicester and couldn't stop scoring.

Then he got injured and allegedly fell out with Pearson (bizarre Foxes rumour was that he injured himself at 10 Pin Bowling and that Pearson was furious about it?!) and never regained form or a regular place in the team

If Sammon goes then yes, otherwise what's the point?

our problem is that they are usually delivered so poorly.

Often below average, but we still play enough good balls in that nobody takes advantage of when faced with a crowded box.

Players who score lots of headers don't do so purely because the balls into them are good, but players who don't score lots of headers could have Beckham in his prime whipping them in but still rarely get on the end of one.

I'm talking about players who can generate their own power in a header without relying on the cross, physically dominate a defender in the air, adjust themselves to get a good connection, that sort of thing.

We seem to say that any cross without pace on it is a ***** cross, any hanging cross without pace where one of opur players has to challenge one of theirs is derided as 'too eeasy for them' as if the cross was at fault.

We've actually done alright from open play crosses so far, some good headers from Ward, Martin, Russell and Hendrick already.

If we are after him, and I think it a big IF (not that I have any inside), it would suggest to me a change of style this season, which would back up match reports on this forum where we appear to be playing narrower as a team encouraging the width and crosses to come from Forsyth and Christie. Perhaps 2 out and out strikers is the new way for Mac this season? We are also linked with Stephen Quinn of Hull today according to Sky. He is looking for guaranteed game time. Not sure of his qualities in truth, but would be interested to know if he could add something that might be currently missing? Is he better than our current midfield options?

Often below average, but we still play enough good balls in that nobody takes advantage of when faced with a crowded box.

Players who score lots of headers don't do so purely because the balls into them are good, but players who don't score lots of headers could have Beckham in his prime whipping them in but still rarely get on the end of one.

I'm talking about players who can generate their own power in a header without relying on the cross, physically dominate a defender in the air, adjust themselves to get a good connection, that sort of thing.

We seem to say that any cross without pace on it is a ***** cross, any hanging cross without pace where one of opur players has to challenge one of theirs is derided as 'too eeasy for them' as if the cross was at fault.

We've actually done alright from open play crosses so far, some good headers from Ward, Martin, Russell and Hendrick already.

Nearly all from Christie crosses which would suggest the problem was with the delivery in open play.

Set pieces are a different matter and when you need dominant players who are also strong in the air and who can attack the ball. Only players like that in the last year were Buxton (to an extent, he's not scored for ages) and Michael Keane (who really should have had a few).

Sadly we just aren't a set piece team. We should try what Boro did last week:

you said set pieces. i think ours compare poorly to virtually every other team.

just my opinion

(btw i think wood is a decent player )

Not sure what you were getting at with 'you said set pieces' because 4/5ths of my post were about set pieces. <_<

Our players don't attack set pieces very well and struggle immensely when faced with a strong defender.

I think you overrate other team's set pieces and underestimate how often they result in a goal due to the striker being good (or the defence being rubbish) more than the cross itself.

I also think Wood is a decent player, but as above I highly doubt we're trying to sign him.

I wasn't getting at anything.  You said we have loads of set pieces and we would be better if we had someone to take advantage of them.  I agree.

My point was our set pieces are poor imo.

You then said something about crosses from open play - I agree with this.

Please don't look for an argument in my replies.  There is none.  :)

Nearly all from Christie crosses which would suggest the problem was with the delivery in open play.

Set pieces are a different matter and when you need dominant players who are also strong in the air and who can attack the ball. Only players like that in the last year were Buxton (to an extent, he's not scored for ages) and Michael Keane (who really should have had a few).

Sadly we just aren't a set piece team. We should try what Boro did last week:

Agreed, and that's exactly what I mean about the set pieces.

I didn't say we;re good at them, but there's enough good that we could capitalise on, but don't.

I just find it stupid the amount of criticism the our crossers get, and quite often hear a great ball in shouted down as RUBBISH simply because a player didn't get on the end of it.

Similarly, when Martin scored a header at the near post from a corner against someone last season, some people were shouting about how good a cross it was - but that very cross wouldn't have beaten the first man had their defender been alert enough to get in the way, and if that was the case everyone would have been calling it a ***** cross!

I wasn't getting at anything.  You said we have loads of set pieces and we would be better if we had someone to take advantage of them.  I agree.

My point was our set pieces are poor imo.

You then said something about crosses from open play - I agree with this.

Please don't look for an argument in my replies.  There is none.  :)

Sorry, I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not looking for an argument either!

The crosser of the ball can only do so much, especially from open play. The striker might stay where he is, he might move to the near post, he might move to the far post - a lot of it is about anticipation. Not only that, the cross might be floated, driven, long, short, high, low, aimed at the edge of the six yard box, penalty spot, cut back to the edge of the area (like Saturday). There's no time and little point for either the crosser or the striker to signal their intentions unless they've bought some space and time (again like Saturday), because then the defender could pick up on that anyway, thus negating what the striker was going to do.

Archived