Derby County v Rotherham United

Day

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back.

Think we deserved the win overall but credit to Rotherham, they came and gave us a good game. Very workmanlike performance from them but not much quality - especially didn't see the hype with Agard. Think they'll struggle as a result this season but should survive through sheer grit and determination, both of which were on show today.

As for us, we started like a house on fire for the first 15 minutes. Very fluent and Rotherham were visibly rocked. Everything went a bit flat after that with misplaced passes all over the place.

Defending was absolutely superb throughout though. Keogh and Buxton were both fantastic (although still a bit of dallying on the ball from both of them) and Christie was absolutely superb (both defensively and offensively). My only concern was Forsyth, who seemed to be under strict instructions to not get forward too much, perhaps to balance out with Christie? Two shots wonderfully cleared off the line and a brilliant save from Grant really kept us in it. Hughes was very assured in the DM role too - some crunching tackles from him!

Front five were very average. Martin couldn't get much going, Dawkins was bright but not much end product and Russell was really poor. Lots of running from Bryson but not much else and Hendrick lost the ball way too many times for my liking (very positive going forward though) - great finish too!

Grant 6

Christie 9

Keogh 7

Buxton 7

Forsyth 6

Hughes 7

Hendrick 6

Bryson 6

Russell 4

Dawkins 6

Martin 5

Couple of shocking passes though, but just by the way he moves around the pitch you can tell he is quality.

Maybe one.

But most players hit a couple of dodgy passes.

Maybe one.

But most players hit a couple of dodgy passes.

i agree he underhit one and then hit  a diagonal one that christie couldn't get to.that went out of play - but that was more to christie not setting off really.

Looked quality to me.

No way dawkins was 2 better than russell imo.

both 4 - 5 if you're being generous.

Dawkins was very bright first half, probably our best attacking threat. Quiet in the second half though.

Russell, besides his header (which he should have buried) was poor throughout.

Good win..difficult team to break down, but could tell it was 1st game of the season - everybody looked slightly off the pace. How was Dawkins better than Russell? Both poor but at least Russell made it look like something was going to happen, particularly in 1st 20 mins.

Dawkins was very bright first half, probably our best attacking threat. Quiet in the second half though.

Russell, besides his header (which he should have buried) was poor throughout.

i thought both were poor - poor decision making.  Dawkins had a good shot saved in the first half (or was it deflected?) and russell had a header well saved. To say dawkins was better is madness imo...

Our attacking play was poor- some of that was due to martin not being quite on it too.

Started brightly but we didn't have enough threat wide and they throttled the life out of us through the middle. Dawkins kept cutting in, looking up and there's a packed edge of the box to contend with. 

As the second half went on you could tell there was a goal coming at one end or the other and a brilliant break for us got it. Wardy did well to win the ball and lay in out to Christie who was Brayfordesque leaving his man wrong footed as he cut in and laid it into Hendrick for the coolest placed curling finish you could want.

Hughes was our best player until he went off but we want him further up the pitch, Christie very much impressed, Bucko solid, Forsyth put in 3 or 4 very dangerous crosses. Dawks and Russell struggled to make an impact.

Best looks like he'll be a great capture based on that cameo - he hugged the line and gave us threat wide that we'd lacked all game. OMG wasted the ball horribly on 3 occasions, but also played two or three lovely passes, kept showing for it and looks a player to me.

Granty wasted a couple of clearances straight out for a throw in, but made a couple of good saves.

Given that they had three efforts cleared off the line they were unlucky not to take a point, but if we'd had someone poaching around the back stick we could have had three tap ins of our own from corners. Not entirely convincing, but a good win nonetheless.

i thought both were poor - poor decision making.  Dawkins had a good shot saved in the first half (or was it deflected?) and russell had a header well saved. To say dawkins was better is madness imo...

Our attacking play was poor- some of that was due to martin not being quite on it too.

Yes, my subjective opinion is "madness" :rolleyes:

Can see Dawkins being the latest in a long line of scapegoats when results don't go our way. We're definitely going to need another one if Keogh keeps playing like he did today. Or is that opinion "madness" too?

Yes, my subjective opinion is "madness" :rolleyes:

Can see Dawkins being the latest in a long line of scapegoats when results don't go our way. We're definitely going to need another one if Keogh keeps playing like he did today. Or is that opinion "madness" too?

i don't have scapegoats, favourites or fall guys.  As to your opinion - don't be so precious. it is no more or no less valid than anyone elses.

Grant with a fantastic save when needed

Christie was written off far too quickly and looked great today

Keogh actually looked calm on the ball, well a bit anyway

Hughes good in  the holding role, good tackle on him

Hendrick and Bryson pretty quiet apart from the goal

Dawkins looked a little lazy to me

Martin has slimmed down alot, ran someone for pace over 20 yards

Subs wise, did not think Mascarell would play, did alright but the ball didnt quite come off, Best used out wide but looked good on the ball and has a bit of pace to him.

Overall decent, Rotherham a team certainly looking for a 0-0 every game, just glad they didnt get it today

i don't have scapegoats, favourites or fall guys.  As to your opinion - don't be so precious. it is no more or no less valid than anyone elses.

Are you on crack? You're the one who said that my opinion was "madness". I said absolutely nothing about yours.

Are you on crack? You're the one who said that my opinion was "madness". I said absolutely nothing about yours.

calm down.  And don't be personal.

If you think dawkins was considerably better than Russel today then your opinion is wrong.  How's that?

calm down.  And don't be personal.

If you think dawkins was considerably better than Russel today then your opinion is wrong.  How's that?

Well, coming from the guy who said that my opinion was no more valid than anyone else's, it makes you a hypocrite.

Now bore off. I'm still enjoying the result far too much to internet-argue with someone I don't even know.

Archived