Pride Park Area

Jayweb95

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to walk past that god awful velodrome every day. It looks better on a sunny day as it's shiny. On a cloudy day, it looks like it's been covered in 1970s wallpaper.

That said, as we have lost the assembly rooms, at least we'll have a new shabby, dated looking concert venue!

I have to walk past that god awful velodrome every day. It looks better on a sunny day as it's shiny. On a cloudy day, it looks like it's been covered in 1970s wallpaper.

That said, as we have lost the assembly rooms, at least we'll have a new shabby, dated looking concert venue!

it looks like someone spread mustard over a shiny silver building lol

The velodrome is a landmark addition to the city. The panels on the side are gold silver and bronze to give a constant reminder of what all athletes should aspire to.

It's something nowhere else has and we should celebrate the fact it's there, whether you like the design or not.

Hi all,

How true it is I don't know but I know someone (I know I know, dodgy 'source') whose dad does work for the company who designed the velodrome and apparently they ballsed up the specifications and the track has been built 10 meters short of Olympic standard so the athletes can't train there! Genius.

Hi all,

How true it is I don't know but I know someone (I know I know, dodgy 'source') whose dad does work for the company who designed the velodrome and apparently they ballsed up the specifications and the track has been built 10 meters short of Olympic standard so the athletes can't train there! Genius.

there's no balls up and the track is the right length. It's not Olympic competition standard, but much like the way FIFA categorises stadiums it's in the second tier of velodromes. It can hold national championships and World Cup events.

It's similar to the way to iPro can hold international matches but not World Cup matches.

Its ok. Its not like it was built in a conservation area is it?

The Assembly Rooms is/was completely out of character in an historic part of the City but the Velodrome is a modern sporting facility of national importance on a reclaimed piece of industrial land.

Its a stunning, unique design so it'll always be a "marmite" type of place for people.

The velodrome is a landmark addition to the city. The panels on the side are gold silver and bronze to give a constant reminder of what all athletes should aspire to.

It's something nowhere else has and we should celebrate the fact it's there, whether you like the design or not.

It needs re-cladding. 

Why do football fans hate changes around their club so much?

The sports arena looks fantastic.

I agree the arena looks superb and will be a wonderful asset to the City. Hopefully attract top bands to the venue as well

Archived