Pride Park Area

Jayweb95

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually proud that I've made a thread that actually has 60 replies lol.. Past it today on the bus. I still don't like the mustard gold looking stuff and that the sub reflects it right into my eyes.. But the whole shape of it is nice.. The way the top curves and the glass bit is half decent. If it was all gold it would be lovely.

Nothing against England, don't get me wrong but you go to America and you can visit New York City, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, Disney World, Vegas, Hollywood etc etc

Here... He's excited for Blackpool.

Whilst England on the whole is pretty dull in the eyes of an English person, for a foreigner it does have its appeal.

Loads of people love London and so many want to visit there. For me it's a nothing city in comparison to so many others and the architecture is terrible - but people love it.

I recently went to San Francisco and everyone was amazed by the Golden Gate Bridge and the curvy downward sloped road - there were thousands of tourists there.

I spoke to Americans living there and they can't understand it. They can't see the attraction of a pretty basic steel bridge and road which you could walk up in under a minute.

It's weird.

Yeah I feel like a foreigner even though I'm actually English, because when you actually live somewhere your surroundings just become normal don't they? Yeah don't get me wrong American is a million times nicer.. But like being about to go out and stuff is really nice for me because it's just a way of reconnecting with my roots... But I get what you all are saying, blackpoll and places are dull in comparison to attractions elsewhere in the world.

Loads of people love London and so many want to visit there. For me it's a nothing city in comparison to so many others and the architecture is terrible - but people love it.

For what its worth I don't like London but to say its a nothing city, come on man, its the city that arugably has contributed more to the modern world than any other.

As for the Velodrome, its another new build which looks okay at the minute but in 5-10 years time will look dyer, these cladding type faces the likes of Tesco are so keen on look very grubby very quickly.

For what its worth I don't like London but to say its a nothing city, come on man, its the city that arugably has contributed more to the modern world than any other.

As for the Velodrome, its another new build which looks okay at the minute but in 5-10 years time will look dyer, these cladding type faces the likes of Tesco are so keen on look very grubby very quickly.

As a Londoner with views that look out on the Gherkin, Shard, Lloyds Building, London Eye and so on, I agree with lots of the above. In fact, my viiew would be perfect if it weren't spoilt by the blue-clad monstrosity that's "Nido Spitalfields": http://londoniscool.com/old-and-new-colliding-in-london-town

I'm one of the biggest advocates for modern architecture and will reserve final judgment on the velodrome until I see it. But this coloured-cladding style of new build is indeed cheap and nasty and will look even more embarrasing in five years' time than it does now.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was about the new fan area outside of the ground, which sounds a good idea.

Whilst England on the whole is pretty dull in the eyes of an English person, for a foreigner it does have its appeal.

I recently went to San Francisco and everyone was amazed by the Golden Gate Bridge and the curvy downward sloped road - there were thousands of tourists there.

I spoke to Americans living there and they can't understand it. They can't see the attraction of a pretty basic steel bridge and road which you could walk up in under a minute.

It's weird.

Wowsa. That's a hell of a sweeping statement - can only assume you've barely spent anytime in our beloved capital to have such a view.

Now I am somewhat bias, because I've lived here now for 4 years, but London is one of the finest cities in the world no doubt. There's a saying that if you're bored in London, you're bored of life, and I happen to think it true. There's always something going on - be it new bars to try out, exhibitions to visit, utterly unique markets and shops, festivals for art / music / coffee / street food / fashion all year round.

No matter who you are I genuinely believe that if you spent some quality time in London you will find plenty to love. 

As for the architecture - ok, perhaps it falls short of Barcelona, but the landscape of architecture here is definitely more terrific than terrible. Not only is our capital packed with iconic, world-famous buildings, but it's also so, so diverse - thanks to the multicultural history of the city brought about by migration. 

On topic - I must admit I really, really like the velodrome. It's a standout, striking building in an otherwise very bland area of Derby, and is something the people of the city should be (rightfully) proud of. Modern builds like this - one's that actually look unique in an otherwise very indifferent landscape - will only raise the profile of the area. 

To enjoy any city you must avoid the underground as much as possible.

If you travel by bus you see that London has terrific buildings.

If you go to Paris you can cycle round on city-bikes which are great.

The traffic can be a bit scary though.

Similarly Amsterdam is great on a bike.

As for Derby, the velodrome is a bit of a gimmick architecturally.

Interesting for about 5 seconds.

Mind you thats 4 seconds longer than most.

The best modern building I've seen of late was the Birds Nest in Beijing. Fabulous, especially at night, it looked so eye catching not only in colour but design. The velodrome just isn't in the same league.

The velodrome looks fine. Stop moaning you miserable bastads.

I like it - but I have no taste so it must be rubbish.

Brilliant! Beijing vs derby, have to consider the scale of those two cities!!!!!

Lol. Yeah yeah money money money. What's said the same concept couldn't be followed albeit on a much smaller scale?

Obviously with a roof on mind.

Just think this one is ugly and adds nothing to the area. When you compare it to the Chris Hoy velodrome for instance it just looks naff. IMO.

However, it looks better than the big round steel things opposite. What are they for anyway?

Archived