Gary Mackay-Steven - FLW sources

tomonred

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure you watch Dundee United a lot? :lol:

So inconsistent and is no where near as good as Russell

Yes, buddy. But thanks for questioning my opinion anyhow.

Grandad supports them and I watch all of their televised games with him and stream others too.

For me, GMS is technically more sound and has way more potential. Russell's closer to the finished article right now but I wouldn't mind betting that GMS will go on to play for a bigger club.

Why do you think Russell's the better player? Let's have a civilised discussion rather than just shouting down opinions.

Exactly. We already have 3 better wingers than him and 2 exciting prospects in Bennett and Calero. I think we're fine in that department, and even if we were to make a signing, 500k+? No thanks

You've not seen him play. Genuinely do not know how you can make an assumption like that?

Oh I've seen him play. Just not on a large enough scale to comment fully. He's lightweight and doesn't score enough. Just my opinion

Fair enough. Bags of potential though and I think we'd regret it in the future if we didn't go for him at 600k.

We should bow down to the knowledge of all the people slating Ward and claiming he can't play for a full 90 minutes despite him playing more full games last season than Russell, Dawkins and Bamford  :lol:

Then perhaps you should look into the fact that Russell was out injured for a lot of last season. Dawkins came in late and Bamford was here for less than half a season and is a striker. Us fans with knowledge are waiting for Ward to accumulate injuries again. Players like Ward don't do much at this age. An injury prone winger. He is past his peak. Wingers typically are done at 29. 

Exactly. We already have 3 better wingers than him and 2 exciting prospects in Bennett and Calero. I think we're fine in that department, and even if we were to make a signing, 500k+? No thanks

Bennett is no 'exciting prospect'... I was at McClaren's first away game at Vicarage Road and Bennett started the match but he had an awful game and was taken off at half time and didn't start another game that season... He could be good but he is far from an exciting prospect

Yes, buddy. But thanks for questioning my opinion anyhow.

Grandad supports them and I watch all of their televised games with him and stream others too.

For me, GMS is technically more sound and has way more potential. Russell's closer to the finished article right now but I wouldn't mind betting that GMS will go on to play for a bigger club.

Why do you think Russell's the better player? Let's have a civilised discussion rather than just shouting down opinions.

Russell has a much better end product in my opinion and is a lot more consistent. With Johnny you know what you're going to get, with GMS he can go missing in games. I don't think his fancy tricks would work as well in the Champ as it would in the SPL (However I would enjoy watching a player with his flair). He's like Bamford was for us, can be incredibly frustrating and not have any impact on a game but he could however win us a game with a piece of magic. I wouldn't complain if we signed him because I'm sure with Steve's coaching he'd adapt to the Championship in no time .... my main issue is everyone criticising Ward when he was class last season.

This is my opinion.

Well I personally think he's a better package than Dawkins. Not so much as Ward as he's been there and done it though Ward feels it more week in week out.

Nothing wrong in getting a winger for 600-800k that even the media dub as the "Scottish Messi".. Freshen things up a little.

Knowing Russell on and off the pitch will help him settle even more so than an eastern European coming in (so to speak).

Yes we need a ST and some would say we need someone to come in and battle for Keogh's spot.. but what's to say that they won't come as well?

Like I say, get a grip of the handlebar and enjoy the ride.

He could be good, he could be a disappointment. Definitely worth a punt at a relatively low price, especially as we already have 3 great wingers who we know will deliver if he isn't. But as all 3 of Dawkins, Russell and Ward were out injured at points last season, it could be important to have 4 wingers.

Also, for all inconsistency at Dundee, anyone playing on the wing for us should have a lot of joy. We're an attacking team that can play quickly on the break or play possession. He'd have thrived in a game like Brighton (A) in the play-offs, with us hitting them on the break at great speed.

He's the sort of player that could eventually become a PL player if he clicks with the team and McClaren.

Then perhaps you should look into the fact that Russell was out injured for a lot of last season. Dawkins came in late and Bamford was here for less than half a season and is a striker. Us fans with knowledge are waiting for Ward to accumulate injuries again. Players like Ward don't do much at this age. An injury prone winger. He is past his peak. Wingers typically are done at 29. 

So Ward is an injury prone winger yet he played more games than Dawkins and Russell due them having injuries? I don't understand

Good to have a youngster to gel with the squad, maybe replace Ward when his hamstrings get tight and when ward is released next season. Forward planning is key to keeping things progressing.

If we're forward planning, do we think we'll be a Champ club or Prem club next season? I doubt he's good enough for the Prem just yet  :unsure:

Archived