Official "Cry and bitch about Keogh" thread.

Tombo

It all depends on how he recovers from Wembley.

If he gets it out of his system early on, he'll be fine. He's a good championship centre half, perhaps not quite as good as Barker or Shackell, but good enough.

But it's possible something of his spirit might have been knocked by that particular goal. Apparently he was just gone when he played for ROI in the summer, but we'll see.

FWIW, Buxton still needs someone organising him - be that Keogh or whoever  - remember how much he came on once he was playing with Barker?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top player, top captain imo.

Agree, had a great partnership with bucko last season. He was as much responsible for getting us to 3rd and a playoff final as anyone else on the team.

He made a mistake, so what, games gone, move on.

We will be promoted this season WITH HIM IN THE SIDE.

Keogh was directly responsible. You can't blame the strikers for giving the ball away and conceding a stupid goal. If it had went to extra time QPR would have been very tired. We were close to beating them.

If you're going to say Keogh was directly responsible, then so we're the other 2 defenders involved in the build-up. Bit of a witch hunt before the season's even started ffs

I don't think they could to be fair, but we ain't in the prem but they are both good enough to help the team win promotion.

Agreed. But we don't have a defender (apart from Forsyth) that makes me go 'wow'. Whereas we have four midfielders and Chris Martin that are impressive players in midfield and attack.

Keogh

Buxton

O'Brien

Whitbread

Naylor

All capable players in this division (apart from Naylor), but none of them particularly shine out. which is why I would like a see a CB from the Premier League on season long loan. Our cb's don't particularly inspire me. Buxton has been a revelation and O'Brien will be decent cover barring injury.

If you're going to say Keogh was directly responsible, then so we're the other 2 defenders involved in the build-up. Bit of a witch hunt before the season's even started ffs

Read the thread title.

Feel good factors gone already then for f's. What is the point to this thread? As mentioned before people at Derby occasionally read this **** great way to build confidence this. The playoff final won't matter when we win the league

Feel good factors gone already then for f's. What is the point to this thread? As mentioned before people at Derby occasionally read this **** great way to build confidence this. The playoff final won't matter when we win the league

Oh come on, people have been criticising Keogh before the play-offs, so don't try that one.

He suits our style of play, as he's good on the ball (despite how awkward he looks) and can storm out with it. If we're controlling the game completely then he's an absoloute beast.

Defensively he's average. He has a mistake in him, off of the top of my head I can think of; Bolton OG, Forest red, Wembley, Doncaster misplaced pass, Bournemouth nearly OG.

As for the argument that post McClaren we conceded the second fewest goals doesn't that tell you something? I'd say McClaren's shape and coaching has more to do with our defensive record than the individual abilities of our centre halves.

Personally, I think he'll do for now but I wouldn't mind a replacement coming in. Would we be able to find some mystic defender within our price range though that has the ability on the ball of Keogh and the defensive attributes of Shackell? Not within our price range I'd guess.

Centre backs are now our weakest department. Followed by attack. If we want to go up these are areas that need looking at. Your telling me if Martin gets inured your happy for Sammon to our first choice striker?

Agreed. But we don't have a defender (apart from Forsyth) that makes me go 'wow'. Whereas we have four midfielders and Chris Martin that are impressive players in midfield and attack.

Keogh

Buxton

O'Brien

Whitbread

Naylor

All capable players in this division (apart from Naylor), but none of them particularly shine out. which is why I would like a see a CB from the Premier League on season long loan. Our cb's don't particularly inspire me. Buxton has been a revelation and O'Brien will be decent cover barring injury.

Yeah, fair enough i can see what your saying, but we had a cb on loan from man utd last season and he was pants.

Yeah, fair enough i can see what your saying, but we had a cb on loan from man utd last season and he was pants.

Agreed. But there are plenty of decent CBS that I think we would have a good chance of getting, e.g Ake, Christensen, Isaac Hayden, Kenneth Oremuo etc.

Centre backs are now our weakest department. Followed by attack. If we want to go up these are areas that need looking at. Your telling me if Martin gets inured your happy for Sammon to our first choice striker?

cbs are the weakest, then attack. Full backs the next weakest, then wingers. Gks follow that then midfield is 6th weakest. Wow, we are weak everywhere.

cbs are the weakest, then attack. Full backs the next weakest, then wingers. Gks follow that then midfield is 6th weakest. Wow, we are weak everywhere.

I didn't say that. We have the best midfield in this division, that is undisputed. Very good wingers and two very good attackers (Martin and Bennett). My point is if you want automatic promotion then we need another CB and another striker. I don't want Sammon as first choice striker if Martin gets injured.

Look at centre mid, we have four very good players fighting for three positions, in defence we have two average players fighting for two positions.

Your seriously questioning our attack is a weak area!?

Granted Sammon. But I would say Russell has 15 in him this season, Martin 20 again, Bryson and Hendrick will be scoring plenty from the middle again....

Oh and for the stats.... Didn't we score the most goals last season or something????

Maybe one striker as an option.

As for Keogh and his average defending.... One thing I think he is immense at is his last ditch stuff.... I E blocking a shot.... Tackle etc, and to be honest I'm more happy with that.

We've got a great squad with the potential to win this league.... And we are picking holes in it....

Forever pessimistic our lot are....

"Awaits being called rose tinted" that would be a first on here....

Regards the Mafia

Your seriously questioning our attack is a weak area!?

Granted Sammon. But I would say Russell has 15 in him this season, Martin 20 again, Bryson and Hendrick will be scoring plenty from the middle again....

Oh and for the stats.... Didn't we score the most goals last season or something????

Maybe one striker as an option.

As for Keogh and his average defending.... One thing I think he is immense at is his last ditch stuff.... I E blocking a shot.... Tackle etc, and to be honest I'm more happy with that.

We've got a great squad with the potential to win this league.... And we are picking holes in it....

Forever pessimistic our lot are....

"Awaits being called rose tinted" that would be a first on here....

Regards the Mafia

Good post. I agree with most of it. Russell played on the wing for most of last season however. But yeah he can play as a striker. I don't want to be thought of as being too pessimistic. Far from it. I've already said we have the best midfield in the league. Yes we have a 25 goal a season striker but I low and behold if Martin ever got injured we would have a striker crisis. Strength in depth is an important luxury to have. You can rely on the loan market to pad out injuries but we were very lucky with injuries last season, and we used the loan market to better the squad rather than to pad it out because of injuries. Injuries are one of the unforeseen circumstances in football.

Archived