Worst Derby XI

Anon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you could put out a billy davies turd 11.

snip*

Surely no other manager made so many cr@p signings.

Don't forget Darren Currie. It's funny to think back now, but it was an absolute travesty for football that that team won promotion. 

Remember Bjorn Otto Bragstad being so bad he came on as sub in the pre season friendly v Barcelona and they had to take him off again 10 minutes later after he was being roasted left right and centre.

Always seemed to play as if he had just taken about 5 sleeping pills before going out on the pitch.

Then he turned up playing at Scarborough for the reserves the next day, where he played the full 90 probably mainly because the coaching staff didn't bother to make the journey.

Then was sent on loan to Birmingham who sent him back after a fortnight because the fans were booing him.

Still think Claude was a bit worse though.

Trying to think of the worst manager to go with the worst team but there would be quite a few candidates! Davies certainly made some terrible signings when we got to the top of the League that Christmas before we went up and continued the following season when we got there. Though at least he got a promotion I suppose so probably exempts him.

The most boring midfield ever came in Gregorys reign I think consisting of Bolder, Boertien (when he didn't play left back) and Murray, three middle of the road plodders who didn't resonate an ounce of excitement in anyone. Gregory was also probably the most boring manager continually championing "hard work" at the expense of any semblance of skill.

No idea how Fagan kept going for big fees, had no tricks in his locker, didn't score and he all he ever seemed to do was harry the defender after he had lost the ball.

Beck the slowest forward we have ever had on the books I think, even Dean Holdsworth (who as mentioned Phil Brown seemed to think he could revive his career after playing for the local pub) could give him a start probably.

Going back in time remember Roy Greenwood being pretty awful (a forward who scored 1 goal in 31 games), also Ian Wilson playing at left back against Liverpool when we let about 7 in at home.

John Middleton one of the worst goalkeepers, I think Docherty swapped him for Archie Gemmill or something silly like that.

Also Steve Biggins I recall tripping over his own feet or else bring blown over by a gust of wind he was so lightweight. And another slowcoach forward Mark Lillis, both of whom let around 20 games combined pass them by with a grand total of 1 goal.

For some reason Don Masson who had been great at Notts County and QPR and a Scottish international, suddenly became awful for us when Docherty signed him, disappearing from view for 90 minutes ever Saturday afternoon.

All I remember are his comical corner routines with Gerry Ryan where one would back heel it to the other while the other one wasn't looking and while the crowd tried to alert them, an opposing defender was already overlapping towards our goal in a 3 on 1 breakway.

Oh another one just remembered Simon Webster on loan, Joachim gave him half the pitch start on a throughball and was going clear when dragged down, now a race between Webster and Beck would certainly have been interesting, though might have taken a very long time to complete if it was over any sort of distance!

Also Nick Pickering clearly one of the worst leftbacks, who can forget those satirical chants of "Psycho", yet somehow managed to get an England cap too!

Tito villa was by far good enough, the team around him ever and the streak we were on gave him no chance, Przemyslaw Kazmierczak.....all i can remember of him is he had a brilliant powerful left foot, i remember him smacking in a 40 yard goal out of nothing.

Already mentioned but Francois Grenet firmly remains the worst player in a Rams shirt I have ever seen. Will never forget Rotherham away at Millmoor under Gregory - he kept hoofing it out for a corner under no pressure whatsoever. 3 million too. Dark, dark days.

Can't believe you've all missed out Brad Jones for goalkeeper.

Somehow he's managed to gain international recognition and stay contracted to Liverpool despite being the single most calamitous keeper I can remember seeing.

No other keeper spills the ball more than he does. He was at it again the other season in the cup where Liverpool got knocked out, I think, by Oldham. It could have been another one of their lower league cup exits though. Just awful.

Can't believe you've all missed out Brad Jones for goalkeeper.

Somehow he's managed to gain international recognition and stay contracted to Liverpool despite being the single most calamitous keeper I can remember seeing.

No other keeper spills the ball more than he does. He was at it again the other season in the cup where Liverpool got knocked out, I think, by Oldham. It could have been another one of their lower league cup exits though. Just awful.

Him and Ross Turnbull were one of the main reasons why Boro went down, yet they both went to top teams afterwards.

Picked Oakes just because we went from having Poom and Hoult at point, to him and that was a massive gulf in class.

Roy Carroll

Francois Grenet

Claude Davies

Andy Comyn

Kenny Burns

Steve Cross

Daryl Powell

Robbie Savage

Nick Pickering

Steve Biggins

Dean Holdsworth

I know that this all about opinions....but...

I can't let you include Steve Cross, Andy Comyn and Daryl Powell..and for these reasons alone.

Cross has been the only Rams player that actually had a Ramsfleece on his head ! You could've sheared him once a year and made a beautiful fairisle sweater !

Andy Comyn.Well, apart from being the only player that I've seen come on as a sub and immediately put the ball past his own keeper without breaking sweat (Bristol City, 1992.....3-0 up....4-3 down :( . He also had the rosiest cheeks to ever grace the BBG. Face like a smacked arse.

And DPFG? I don't care about his perfomances on the pitch. It was his old man that we used to watch at the match. The man was a legend, especially when he was slagging his own son off for being cack ! No...I can't accept Daryl in anyones worst XI. He was limited, but was an integral part of the team that went up and stayed up !

But I totally agree with the rest of your choices ..Although Pickering once won me a tenner after (for some totally unknown reason..probably due to alcohol) I had him down for 1st goalscorer against Cov and he only went and obliged !

But there are some seriously bad memories coming my way after reading these posts !!

Archived