Ipswich fan needs a favour ( please!)

Ipswich

Hi, young ITFC fan here, I am currently writing a piece on our forum about how the other clubs' fans see us and what they think of our chances, plus our new signings. I understand that there are more signings to come and that you may not know about the ones that have been completed, but I would be grateful if you could write a decent sized paragraph containing three or four main areas. I will return the favour too if any are interested.

Four areas:
Management

New Signings and squad

Predicted finish ( most important)

Players who would be good for us ( not as fussed about this one but would still be interesting)

I think you were unlucky in the play off final last year, nobody wanted Arry to go up, but he did. I think your change of manager was surprising but the three goal deficit you recovered against us in McClaren's first game turned the season around. I think Clough must be credited with a lot of your good fortune but McClaren is a good manager ( England and Forest aside) and has made some good additions. I would have liked us to get Christie but I don't think we made an approach. Santos could come good too and clearly has potential, but I feel your best signings are the contract extensions of Hughes and Bryson, two of the best midfielders at this level. I believe you are one of the favourites for this season and wish you the best of luck, all responses will be well received.

Predicted Derby finish:1st. ( Got to get responses now ;) )

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ipswich are one of the championship clubs I know very little about. Could probably only name 3, maybe 4 of your players. I like Mick McCarthy though and reckon you'll finish 8th, because you always finish around there.

I'm sure there will be a few on here who will go into detail though.

Think all you need is a bit more firepower and you could be challenging for a top 6 position. Ideally someone tall, powerful and pacey -we have just the guy for you! Have a word with Big Mick and get him to put a bid in for Connor Salmon. He would fit the bill perfectly -he just doesn't fit into our pattern of play so a starting offer of

Guess this is sarcasm? A few of our lot have seen the link and are unimpressed by both him and his wages! I'd like to see Johnny Williams back on loan, which is a possibility as the Cresswell money is being spent on loan fees and wages only. We need another keeper and maybe a striker too but we are almost sorted.

You've got a decent squad, a bit of money to spend, and IMO a very good manager.

Ipswich away is one of those games that I hate. We rarely do well down there.

I'd expect you to be not too far off the playoffs this season. At worst.

Awww -sussed! Seriously, you must have a chance but like JW I don't know many of your players but get the feeling that what you might lack is a bit of flair and invention in midfield? Williams from Palace is a good prospect but haven't you just lost Cresswell?

Hi, young ITFC fan here, I am currently writing a piece on our forum about how the other clubs' fans see us and what they think of our chances, plus our new signings. I understand that there are more signings to come and that you may not know about the ones that have been completed, but I would be grateful if you could write a decent sized paragraph containing three or four main areas. I will return the favour too if any are interested.

Four areas:

Management

New Signings and squad

Predicted finish ( most important)

Players who would be good for us ( not as fussed about this one but would still be interesting)

I think you were unlucky in the play off final last year, nobody wanted Arry to go up, but he did. I think your change of manager was surprising but the three goal deficit you recovered against us in McClaren's first game turned the season around. I think Clough must be credited with a lot of your good fortune but McClaren is a good manager ( England and Forest aside) and has made some good additions. I would have liked us to get Christie but I don't think we made an approach. Santos could come good too and clearly has potential, but I feel your best signings are the contract extensions of Hughes and Bryson, two of the best midfielders at this level. I believe you are one of the favourites for this season and wish you the best of luck, all responses will be well received.

Predicted Derby finish:1st. ( Got to get responses now ;) )

1. Love McCarthy. One of my favourite managers, just for his sense of humour.

2. Very understated (but good) squad. Cresswell was a big loss but you've replaced him well with Parr. There's a couple of other players I like (Smith, Mcgoldrick, Murphy) but I must confess to not knowing that many of your squad off the top of my head.

3. 7th, with a chance of sneaking into the play-offs. You're certainly dark horses.

4. I haven't the foggiest. Like I say, I don't know your team that well (playing style, formation, etc.) so It would be silly of me to just start plucking names out of thin air.

I dont know alot about Ipswich but;

McCarthy is a great manager and although doesnt play the best football is still great

You have a decent squad but a very strong team in whole

No idea who you have bought

Backed you for a shock top 6 last season, reckon you could do it this year maybe sneak 6th if you can get a good run

Guess this is sarcasm? A few of our lot have seen the link and are unimpressed by both him and his wages! I'd like to see Johnny Williams back on loan, which is a possibility as the Cresswell money is being spent on loan fees and wages only. We need another keeper and maybe a striker too but we are almost sorted.

List your signings mate, i havnt a clue in all honesty what team you even have. Anyone who may do well?

Edit: Also check out this thread, would be worth getting an Ipswich fans opinion on the matter....http://dcfcfans.co.uk/topic/15614-keoghs-mrs/

Goes to show how much limelight is hogged by a predictable Premier League when we know all the youth players and their dogs names in that league and know very little about a team that we could be battling for a Play Off place next season just one tier down.

Really know very little about Ipswich. But having said that, you did well last season suprisingly and yet other than Cresswell who has now left, you have gained little recognition. There is a chance you could sneak into the playoffs under the radar, and from there the playoffs really are a lottery. We know that more than most here at DCFC!

Mick McCarthy is a manager who gets things done, one way or another. However he doesn't strike me as inspirational. He got the results to get you to the right end of the season, but couldn't motivate his team over the line. He got his team 4-1 up at Pride Park but couldn't inspire focus from his players to see it out (although we came out like a different team in the second half). And just look what happened to your results following the game at Pride Park. A slide in results ensued. Good tactician and coach, not so much a man manager.

Squad is strong, but few stand out individuals for me. Then again, I've often found myself saying that about Derby. Maybe with a bit of magic here and there...? Strong enough defense, and good strike force. Needs creativity in the middle of the park perhaps...? Can't say that's the truth with any certainty but that's how it looks to me. Hard to say who to suggest without knowing the system you play in, but a lad named Tom Adeyemi at the sinking ship that is Birmingham City could be a good signing. Or maybe Liam Davis from relegated Yeovil. I don't mean to be patronising, but these are the cheap options, which McCarthy is partial to. They can be just as effective as multi-million pound 21-year old midfielders from West Bromwich Albion with the right setup (see the "Game of Th'ornes" thread in the Transfer talk section) which honestly is the truth, as much as it pains me to admit.

As I said, you could sneak in under the radar as understated underdogs. But you wouldn't be understated underdogs if fans of other clubs didn't cast doubt on you. And my gut tells me that while it is a possibility that you could nick 6th, I reckon it'll be closer to 8th. A strong 8th though. You're in a good position as a club by the look of it.

Side note: We saw an Ipswich fan on the tube when exiting Wembley. He was really gutted for us and wished us all the best for next season. Simply because an Ipswich fan was the first to extend his commiserations post-Playoff Final, I really hope your club do well. So best of luck next season  :)

Management:

He's effective. But Christ it's boring, set-piece based hoof ball. Which, as we saw last season, we are quite susceptible to. Don't think you could ever challenge for the top with him but play offs are certainly in play.

New signings and squad:

To be honest with you, couldn't name a new signing you've made. I know you've lost Cresswell which will be a blow.

Predicted finish: 8th

Suggested signings:

Mick loves his former players, particularly if they're Irish... Kevin Doyle?! In all seriousness, it's difficult to say as you're style is very direct.

these are the deals so far.

Signed

Alex Henshall winger from Man C free

Cameron Stewart winger from Hull free

Jonathan Parr full back from Palace free

Ben Wyatt left back and Darren McQueen striker  from Norwich and Tottenham but they will most likely be in the reserves as they are both 18.

Left

Cressy

these are the deals so far.

Signed

Alex Henshall winger from Man C free

Cameron Stewart winger from Hull free

Jonathan Parr full back from Palace free

Ben Wyatt left back and Darren McQueen striker from Norwich and Tottenham but they will most likely be in the reserves as they are both 18.

Left

Cressy

Expect them to be challenging for 6th place.

Mick McCarthy knows how to get teams out the division but I couldn't watch one of his teams week in week out. Efficient is the word that springs to mind...but then again we were boring as fxck under Billy Davies and noone complained when we went up! 

Paul Taylor and McGoldrick have the potential for goals. McGoldrick is always in my championship fantasy football team cos he never costs owt! 

6th-9th depending on how much of an attacking loss Cresswell is.

Ipswich seem to be an ageing but well organised defensively minded team.

Last season 43% of goals came from free kicks and the centre backs scored 11 between them.

In hindsight they were the perfect team to punish us when we couldn't defend a set piece to save our lives.

This season the loss of Cresswell has been tempered by the arrival of Jonathan Parr - which looks like a decent attempt at a low budget fix.

Cameron Stewart should add pace and youth whilst Henshall is a virtual unknown.

The suspicion remains that they will still lack the goals they need to reach the play offs, and that this squad needs more work yet.

Mick can make them solid and has an eye for an up and coming young player but the tractor boys may remain a bit too agricultural unless he can find a couple more gems.

Archived