Ronaldo

ronnieronalde

Honestly think it's only English, Portuguese and Real Madrid fans who think Ronaldo's better. Real and Portuguese fans through loyalty, and English fans because he's direct.

When it comes down to it, Ronaldo is an incredible athlete who kicks a football really well. He would be the greatest player of our generation.

Just he isn't Messi.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what you're saying is that you value one type of natural ability over others...

...interesting idea.

Amazing, Messi tops a list you made, being judged by criteria you have set. Personally I'd rate Messi as the better player, but the difference isn't that stark, and I've heard plenty of people compare not one, but both to the likes of Maradona and Pele. They are both incredible players, but very different.

To be bluntly honest about your list though, I'd actually change a few things on it. Namely:

Finish: Ronaldo

Movement: Ronaldo

Dribbling with the ball: Ronaldo

Set Pieces: Draw

I'd add to the list:

Fitness: Ronaldo

Penalties: Ronaldo

Technique: Messi

Composure: Messi

But it all gets very subjective. Messi had a sensational few seasons, but Ronaldo probably had the better season. Ronaldo is probably the better natural finisher, but Messi can create so much space for himself through his incredible ability on the ball. Ronaldo has the "tricks", but Messi is naturally so good on the ball that he doesn't need them. Ronaldo probably reads coming chances better in the box, but Messi between better all round team play and ability on the ball gets himself into brilliant positions as well.

Ultimately both define this era, and whilst Messi will probably be remembered for longer that is not to diminish what Ronaldo can and has done in his career so far. At this point too it's hard to tell what will happen. Players who aren't all about physicality aren't also long played, and it could be argued that Ronaldo, the better natural athlete has as good a chance as any for a long career, particularly as he reads the game very well as well. He's the type of natural goal scorer who could do well for a long time to come.

They are different players though, very different players and direct comparisons, whilst obvious due to them being by far and away the best players on the planet for a good while now, aren't really that useful and general end up with people showing outrageous bias to one or the other.

Opinions and all that. but Messi is so much better than Ronaldo at dribbling with the ball I'm shocked you think otherwise.

When has Ronaldo ever beaten three or four players with ease, and moving through the middle - Messi does it with such regularity and against the best players.

Also think Messi is the better finisher but the two of them are so far above the rest that it's unreal.

As for set pieces, absolutely no comparison aswell. Ronaldo has a fabulous shot, and if he gets the ball on target he more often than not scores. But as for hitting the target, probably only one in seven freekicks test the GK. But Messi is more consistent in that asepct, but takes corners, freekicks, crossing etc. Attributes that Ronaldo actually isn't that great at.

Opinions and all that. but Messi is so much better than Ronaldo at dribbling with the ball I'm shocked you think otherwise.

When has Ronaldo ever beaten three or four players with ease, and moving through the middle - Messi does it with such regularity and against the best players.

I'm surprise you still haven't mentioned that very often Ronaldo has to slow the defender down before exploding past him whereas Messi just breezes past him at near enough the same pace. 

Also think Messi is the better finisher but the two of them are so far above the rest that it's unreal.

As for set pieces, absolutely no comparison aswell. Ronaldo has a fabulous shot, and if he gets the ball on target he more often than not scores. But as for hitting the target, probably only one in seven freekicks test the GK. But Messi is more consistent in that asepct, but takes corners, freekicks, crossing etc. Attributes that Ronaldo actually isn't that great at.

Messi is more fluid with the ball and is a more natural dribbler, but Ronaldo still has more pace with the ball (which is what I was replacing on your's initially, as a straight contest of dribbling it's Messi). Ronaldo with or without the ball will beat Messi (and most people) in a footrace, Messi is more likely to beat a man, and particularly multiples though. That's not entirely about pace though.

Ronaldo really is a true natural finisher, Messi's goals tend to be more about his touch and the space he can work for himself, as well as the space his better team play create, while Ronaldo is more about pure finishing and his ability to read opportunities.

The set pieces are a hard one, but I don't think either's that much better than the other to justify putting one ahead of the other. They are both better than the other in particular aspects though.

Messi is better. Not only is he a record breaking striker but he's a superb playmaker and team player.

Ronaldo isn't a team player. He's great though. His free kicks get so much hype and they're rubbish most the time. He's a selfish player.

I wouldn't want either at Derby. Don't chase down defenders enough...

Messi is better. Not only is he a record breaking striker but he's a superb playmaker and team player.

Ronaldo isn't a team player. He's great though. His free kicks get so much hype and they're rubbish most the time. He's a selfish player.

I wouldn't want either at Derby. Don't chase down defenders enough...

Ronaldo's free kicks are vastly over rated.

Bang in one ridiculous one a year and everyone remembers it.

I know I'm a Messi fan boy but I'd much rather have him over a free kick than Ronaldo, I'd expect stats to back that up as well. 

They are so different that it's pretty hard to even compare.

Messi is footballing genius, Ronaldo is closer to Ivan Drago. We won't see another Messi soon, but I'm sure there will be lots of ronaldo-type players in near future. He has created new prototype of attacking footballer which is quite achievement too.

And what comes to Ronaldo's charity work, I find him similar to Bono. He does all those good things but still you think he must be full of *****.

It would be nice to see them both play in their peaks in the premier league because there is no way either would hit over 50 goals in an English season. Too easy over in Spain where every sneeze in the box results in a penalty which they both usually take.

I personally prefer Ronaldo as I think he has done it for Manu, Real and Portugal. All three are poorer teams than Barca.

Also if http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/david.clarke/358542/the-true-face-of-lionel-messi-bullying-teammates-to-the-point-of-tears this is true then it would seem that Messi is a massive tw@ in comparison to Ronaldo.

It would be nice to see them both play in their peaks in the premier league because there is no way either would hit over 50 goals in an English season. Too easy over in Spain where every sneeze in the box results in a penalty which they both usually take.

I personally prefer Ronaldo as I think he has done it for Manu, Real and Portugal. All three are poorer teams than Barca.

Also if http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/david.clarke/358542/the-true-face-of-lionel-messi-bullying-teammates-to-the-point-of-tears this is true then it would seem that Messi is a massive tw@ in comparison to Ronaldo.

Messi scored 50 goals in 2011/12, and Ronaldo hit 46 in the same season. Other than that season, Ronaldo's next best is 40 and then 34 and Messi's is 46 and then 34. Goes to show that they certainly don't hit 50 every season.

As for the PL, Messi and Ronaldo would both hit over 35 if they played almost every game.

Messi's record against PL teams are as follows (since he turned 22 as judging him as any younger is unfair):

Man United - 2 games 2 goals

Man City - 2 games 2 goals

Arsenal - 4 games 6 goals

Chelsea - 4 games 0 goals

I makes that 12 games and 10 goals against the top four alone. What do you think he'd do to the likes of Swansea City and West Bromwich Albion?

But how would he cope on a cold Tuesday evening at Stoke?  ;)

Who knows. But Stoke under Mark Hughes would just put everyone on the edge of the 18yard line as a back five and then four in-front of them and simply have the attitude of 'break us down' 

And they'd try and score at every set-piece possible.

In that sort of condition, Messi could in fact struggle. But he'd more than make up for it at the Nou Camp with two or three goals.

Who knows. But Stoke under Mark Hughes would just put everyone on the edge of the 18yard line as a back five and then four in-front of them and simply have the attitude of 'break us down'

And they'd try and score at every set-piece possible.

In that sort of condition, Messi could in fact struggle. But he'd more than make up for it at the Nou Camp with two or three goals.

Now your having me on.... Stoke at the Nou Camp! :D

This argument always makes me laugh.

As if the Prem is some sort of super league, superior to everything known to man.

La Liga is p*ss easy, Spurs and Everton would spank the likes of Valencia and Bilbao. 

Ronaldo gets compared to Messi, messi gets compared to Maradona and Pele.

Why doesn't Ronaldo get compared to Maradona and Pele? Simple, he's not as good.

Messi is better, has all the records to prove it. Ronaldo will be on the decline when he loses his pace and physical attributes, whereas Messi could go on much longer as he relies only on his football brain and fabulous ball attributes - things he won't lose.

Messi is  South American, that is literally the only reason he gets compared to Maradona and Pele and Ronaldo doesn't. They just happen to be from the same continent.

Na you're wrong.

If Ronaldo wasnt such an athlete he wouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence. Physically Ronaldo has got everything.

Messi cant do anything about his physical attributes. 

As pure footballers Messi is better in almost every department. 

Physical attributes are part of the game and therefore whether or not someone can control them, they have to come into your thinking when you compare the two. Ronaldo can't do anything about the fact that Messi is more naturally gifted.

Archived