Lukas Jutkiewicz

North_Stand_Ram

We can not compete for players with such a tin pot clubs like Huddersfield (Vaughan, Lynch) leave alone Wigan. I am not that bothered about Jutkiewicz though.

Are you being serious? 

We have no idea whether we can compete with them NOW, we know we couldn't compete with them under Clough. But it's a totally different set-up now. Rush in in full swing, McClaren is the best manager in the league, we're financially secure and results on the pitch are going our way. How on earth can you think we can't compete with Huddersfield now? There haven't been any transfer yet, no ones pipped us to a player at all this summer. But, from all evidence so far we're bidding more on players than we have done for years! Bidding for both Thorne and Juke with fee's over a million would have been unthinkable under Clough, what makes you think we're struggling to compete with Wigan who so far have had to start selling (Jordi Gomez).

Is this the return of the wrist slitters or something?

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you being serious?

We have no idea whether we can compete with them NOW, we know we couldn't compete with them under Clough. But it's a totally different set-up now. Rush in in full swing, McClaren is the best manager in the league, we're financially secure and results on the pitch are going our way. How on earth can you think we can't compete with Huddersfield now? There haven't been any transfer yet, no ones pipped us to a player at all this summer. But, from all evidence so far we're bidding more on players than we have done for years! Bidding for both Thorne and Juke with fee's over a million would have been unthinkable under Clough, what makes you think we're struggling to compete with Wigan who so far have had to start selling (Jordi Gomez).

Head nail the hit on.... You get my gist.... Top post, agree entirely

Hope this deal happens, we looked average without Martin in the games he missed last season. Plus it gives him competion, as Sammon isn't the answer. I like Jutkiewicz he's a handful, and maybe we might score more goals from set pieces next season. Aslong as we get someone who can actually put a decent ball in that is.

Are you being serious? 

Wages.

So your entire basis for saying "we can't compete with tin pot clubs like Huddersfield" is that...

...James Vaughan chose to join a team he'd spent half the previous season on (a very successful) loan at, where the fans rated him highly and he'd be first choice; as opposed to joining us where he'd had 2 miserable loans curtailed by injury (as was his season at Huddersfield, shock horror) and where he made very little impression on the vast majority of fans.

&

...Huddersfield signed someone who we may or may not have had any interest in, a random name thrown out by a newspaper.

You just keep on believing that whatever happens, it's somehow our fault for not doing this, not offering that, not making this statement in public, etc.

That's a great outlook you've got there.

So your entire basis for saying "we can't compete with tin pot clubs like Huddersfield" is that...

...James Vaughan chose to join a team he'd spent half the previous season on (a very successful) loan at, where the fans rated him highly and he'd be first choice; as opposed to joining us where he'd had 2 miserable loans curtailed by injury (as was his season at Huddersfield, shock horror) and where he made very little impression on the vast majority of fans.

&

...Huddersfield signed someone who we may or may not have had any interest in, a random name thrown out by a newspaper.

You just keep on believing that whatever happens, it's somehow our fault for not doing this, not offering that, not making this statement in public, etc.

That's a great outlook you've got there.

Exactly.

I hate the people that even after a fantastic season, have to still find some way of putting the club down.

Who says we can't compete on wages? Did Sam Rush come out and say "we've got X amount transfer budget, but unfortunately we can't spend it as the wages players will want is too much!"?

We did publically that we couldn't offer Baptiste the wages he'd have wanted, but he did end up joining a club with paraschute payments.

I expect some will label my post 'blind faith', but I'd take that over blind criticism any day.

Would Huddrersfield have been able to afford our wage coontribution for the Wisdom & Bamford deal?

We did publically that we couldn't offer Baptiste the wages he'd have wanted, but he did end up joining a club with paraschute payments.

I expect some will label my post 'blind faith', but I'd take that over blind criticism any day.

Would Huddrersfield have been able to afford our wage coontribution for the Wisdom & Bamford deal?

I don't believe it's blind faith, why would we be making bids for people if we couldn't afford their wages? Of course we can!

Who says we can't compete on wages? Did Sam Rush come out and say "we've got X amount transfer budget, but unfortunately we can't spend it as the wages players will want is too much!"?

he did pretty much say exactly that - albeit a year ago in a fan forum. He described Baptiste's wage demands as "eye-watering" and basically said we had a salary structure that we ween't prepared to blow out of the water for one player, as it was counter-productive. You might get a big-name player but the impact on the rest of the dressing room could negate the benefit

Mind you - nothing to say that this outlook hasn't changed. In the same forum h backed Clough (less than a month before he sacked him) and was adamant that the net cost of replacing a manager (compensation, changes to squad & backroom staff etc) was not something they would consider lightly as it would have a financial impact on the club. He also talked about the curent loanee Adam Smith being on premiership wages that we had to pay if we wanted him. Less than a month later he had gone, and we had Wisdom instead - a definite upgrade, and probably a more expensive loan?

Things change - and we definitely seem to have seen a loosening of the purse strings in direct alignment with the upward fortunes of the club

he did pretty much say exactly that - albeit a year ago in a fan forum. He described Baptiste's wage demands as "eye-watering" and basically said we had a salary structure that we ween't prepared to blow out of the water for one player, as it was counter-productive. You might get a big-name player but the impact on the rest of the dressing room could negate the benefit

Mind you - nothing to say that this outlook hasn't changed. In the same forum h backed Clough (less than a month before he sacked him) and was adamant that the net cost of replacing a manager (compensation, changes to squad & backroom staff etc) was not something they would consider lightly as it would have a financial impact on the club. He also talked about the curent loanee Adam Smith being on premiership wages that we had to pay if we wanted him. Less than a month later he had gone, and we had Wisdom instead - a definite upgrade, and probably a more expensive loan?

Things change - and we definitely seem to have seen a loosening of the purse strings in direct alignment with the upward fortunes of the club

That's exactly what I was saying, a year ago we were (realistically) making sure we weren't relegated and was hoping for a mid table finish.

This year we are making sure we are a playoff team and hoping for an automatic spot. Budgets are sure to become more relaxed, and if we didn't do it this year then I'm sure they would be tightened again.

That's exactly what I was saying, a year ago we were (realistically) making sure we weren't relegated and was hoping for a mid table finish.

This year we are making sure we are a playoff team and hoping for an automatic spot. Budgets are sure to become more relaxed, and if we didn't do it this year then I'm sure they would be tightened again.

Whaaaaa?  Last year?  Not even the year before, but 3 years ago I'd grant you!

Archived