Saturday 14th - World Cup Match Thread

Srg

Waiting 4 years is the difference. When we lost against QPR I was not too bothered. I recognize how good a side we are. We only have to wait 12 or so weeks for it all to begin again. Where as who knows where England will be in 4 years time. I was really enjoying the WC up until now. I think I would prefer it if we were not involved full stop so I could just enjoy the damn thing. 

I'm the other way round, was absolutely gutted last month, but not too bothered about England, will support them and want them to win, but not too fussed either way. I normally love the World Cup, but got to say that while I'm enjoying it so far, the gloom of the end of Derby's season has tempered it and still hasn't quite lifted. Hopefully as the tournament progresses that will change. 

I'll be fine on Wednesday when we find out when we play Rotherham away.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm traumatised...they stopped the presses last night for the game and I was re-routed to.....Nottingump with a load of Sunday Times ( ?) had me Rams hat on while I tipped mind, got a few looks but no lip.

Obviously I didn't see the game but I took heart from Uruguay getting tonked so I still think we'll get through. 

COYE.

Think England did ok.

They were battered tactically though. Italy overloaded Rooney's flank. On the left Italy had nothing. When they came out for the second half and saw England had switched Wellbeck to England's right they probably wondered if this was going to be a draw.

5 minutes later they were 2v1 vs Baines. Then again and again.

England have often played Milner when they don't need him. Would have been the answer.

Right from the start Pirlo and De Rossi were going to upstage the superstar Steven Gerrard. Pirlo has always been better even before itv discovered him in 2012. And since Gerrard's legs went (but not the love in) De Rossi has been a far better defensive midfielder. He's was never far behind in the first place believe it or not.

England need to move past these big names. They're just names. I think Gerrard was a waste of a shirt and has been for a while. Stop doing this half arsed "young lions" thing. Do it!! Right through. They're trying to accommodate Gerrard. There was no role for him last night imo. Never really is. What a chance to catch the Italians out. The pace and direct approach looked a genuine surprise.

I compared Gerrard to Pirlo last night. Pirlo yet again showed what world class is when it matters. Pirlo just seems to to give Italy that extra few seconds on the ball in tight spots. Gerrard sprays 50 yard horizontal balls to wingers who struggle to get it under control before a defender is bearing down on them. Bris is probably right, they have a few world class players and we have some good ones.

They scored two good goals, we scored one.

For the rest of the game I thought we shaded it, we

created more chances for a start, we must have been playing OK.

We have to win our next two games, and I believe we can, cmon England.

PS

Although we could qualify with a draw and a win

I got too pissed, don't even remember watching it but reading this I take it Gerrard had a bad game....did you watch him play for Liverpool last season? Past it my arse. Rooney bad game as well, wasn't he played out of position?....Messi thinks he's world class and I agree, players have bad games, get over it.

I can't believe I am reading that Italy are not a good a side? Yeah, let's slag off the 4 time winners. England did as well as could be expected, no shame at all, just outdone by the better team.

I thought there weren't the ludicrous expectations of England this year, is being narrowly beaten by one of footballs great nations such a disaster?

wow rooney the scapegoat yet again, sets up a goal and still we call for his head? 

In fairness although Rooney's cross was a good one, the pass from Sterling to set up the opening in the first place was world Hughes class

Looking back at my alcohol induced posts last night I may have been a little too scathing.

One thing I will always say though.

Steven Gerrard was past it for England after 2006.

Agree with other posters we are trying to accommodate him, sad thing is and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.... Only a injury will force him out this side.

Looking back England defended well but got battered tactically in Midfield.

But l also think we could have played another hour and we wouldn't have scored again.

Been lots of open games this World Cup, but whoever has the meanest defence will this thing. And I have a sneaking suspicion the Italians might just do it again.

They play very well as a team.... And work very hard. That will get them a very long way.

You can have all the possession etc you want. But out of all the teams I've seen. Italy seem the most able....

Apologies for my alcohol induced outbursts at stupid o clock

I can't believe I am reading that Italy are not a good a side? Yeah, let's slag off the 4 time winners. England did as well as could be expected, no shame at all, just outdone by the better team.

I thought there weren't the ludicrous expectations of England this year, is being narrowly beaten by one of footballs great nations such a disaster?

Sorry but this Italy team didn't win it 4 times, that's like losing to Forest and saying well they won the European cup twice so no shame in losing to them

Sorry but this Italy team didn't win it 4 times, that's like losing to Forest and saying well they won the European cup twice so no shame in losing to them

My point is...they are pretty much always a good side, the players may change but as a nation they have that winning mentality. Club football and international football are different beasts.

Archived