"CB squad player"

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please tell me what the score was at half time and then what the score was full time when he reverted to the left side at half time.

Wasn't just the fact he struggled he got absolutly battered yet was our best CB all season...is that not just proof he should stick to the left?

Like I said, you condemned him on the basis of 45 minutes. Are suggesting that Buxton was responsible for all Ipswich's goals? It certainly seems like it.

Of course it's not proof of anything, and to suggest that is the case is, frankly, bonkers. The sample size of 0.5 matches is ridiculously small. It's about as silly as suggesting that Forsyth, Buxton and Keogh are rubbish based upon 5 seconds against QPR.

Like I said, you condemned him on the basis of 45 minutes. Are suggesting that Buxton was responsible for all Ipswich's goals? It certainly seems like it.

Of course it's not proof of anything, and to suggest that is the case is, frankly, bonkers. The sample size of 0.5 matches is ridiculously small. It's about as silly as suggesting that Forsyth, Buxton and Keogh are rubbish based upon 5 seconds against QPR.

I'm not saying he was responsible for all the goals and i'm not saying he is a bad player and maybe given time he would be alright on the right side but my point is that he is better on the left side than Keogh is on the right side...my opinion...so we need someone to replace Keogh on the right because if we signed another left sided CB it would mean Buxton being dropped (which would be harsh) as for me Keogh is a better right sided CB than Buxton is.

I didn't mean to precipitate a row with my post. Keogh and Buxton are pretty good players. However, when under extreme pressure like against Leicester and Burnley, we need to play a bit nastier, concede a few fouls and ruffle a few feathers. We need to impose ourselves. That's not just a problem at centre back, but it's where it starts.

I know we were short against Leicester but there were a couple of occasions last year when we looked suspect, particularly in the air. I would like us to address that.

I didn't mean to precipitate a row with my post. Keogh and Buxton are pretty good players. However, when under extreme pressure like against Leicester and Burnley, we need to play a bit nastier, concede a few fouls and ruffle a few feathers. We need to impose ourselves. That's not just a problem at centre back, but it's where it starts.

I know we were short against Leicester but there were a couple of occasions last year when we looked suspect, particularly in the air. I would like us to address that.

Haha dont worry not having a row just we have differing views :wacko:

For me we do have an issue at CB and that is Keogh, I don't think he is all that good and there is a mistake in him around the corner all the time.

My view is that our best CB is Buxton, our best left sided CB is Buxton, our best right sided CB is Keogh but on paper our best CB's would be Buxton + Whitbread but neither are that good on the right side so we need a decent right sided CB to come in....of course this is just my own opinion.

Please tell me what the score was at half time and then what the score was full time when he reverted to the left side at half time.

Wasn't just the fact he struggled he got absolutly battered yet was our best CB all season...is that not just proof he should stick to the left?

Yep, Buxton was responsible for every goal in that match. His fault we conceded all of those goals because he was on the right side but, more importantly, we can thank him for all of our goals when he moved back to the left /sarcasm.

And Whitbread better than Keogh? Oh lawd.

Yep, Buxton was responsible for every goal in that match. His fault we conceded all of those goals because he was on the right side but, more importantly, we can thank him for all of our goals when he moved back to the left /sarcasm.

And Whitbread better than Keogh? Oh lawd.

If you look at what I put I said he wasn't at fault for the goals, I said he had a poor 1st half on the right side.

And in my opinion Whitbread on the left side is better than Keogh on the right side but that's just my opinion...I just don't rate Keogh basically.

If you look at what I put I said he wasn't at fault for the goals, I said he had a poor 1st half on the right side.

And in my opinion Whitbread on the left side is better than Keogh on the right side but that's just my opinion...I just don't rate Keogh basically.

"Please tell me what the score was at half time and then what the score was full time when he reverted to the left side at half time."

^Sounds to me like you're establishing a correlation there, a cause and effect. Buxton switched to the left = we won the second half.

What are you basing your high praise of Whitbread on though? He's only played a handful of games for us and I doubt you've seen much of his Leicester career. Keogh, on the other hand, has been an ever-present and was great for most of the season (last minute of Wembley aside). I don't think you'll find many Derby fans who share your view (especially those whose judgments aren't clouded by his Wembley error).

"Please tell me what the score was at half time and then what the score was full time when he reverted to the left side at half time."

^Sounds to me like you're establishing a correlation there, a cause and effect. Buxton switched to the left = we won the second half.

What are you basing your high praise of Whitbread on though? He's only played a handful of games for us and I doubt you've seen much of his Leicester career. Keogh, on the other hand, has been an ever-present and was great for most of the season (last minute of Wembley aside). I don't think you'll find many Derby fans who share your view (especially those whose judgments aren't clouded by his Wembley error).

I've seen Whitbread play a number of times and whilst he isn't a world beater in my opinion he is better than Keogh...I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, its my opinion and I am entitled it.

I didn't once say Buxton was at fault for the Ipswich goals your just jumping to your own conclusions, all I said was that he got battered on the right and he and the whole team looked more solid when he went back to the left (like we did for the rest of the season) which helped us claw back to a draw, if we stayed like we did 1st half we wouldn't have got a point.

My view on Keogh isn't just based on Wembley its also based on other mistakes he has made for example off the top of my head...a poor back pass away to Doncaster at 0-0 that Grant cleared off the line...a poor back pass at home to Huddersfield when 1 down and Wells missed a one on one and I'm pretty sure Yeovil at home he was at fault for Millers goal so that's 3 without looking into anything. He makes a mistake nearly every game just some are more costly like Wembley. Everyone makes mistakes just he does it more often in my opinion and isn't a patch on Barker or Shackell.

Keogh, on his day, is a great CB. However, he is prone to errors that often cost goals. These are often caused by his erratic defending where you really don't know what he's going to do, I'd hate to think what it's like playing alongside him...

Whitbread isn't the answer though. I'd only drop Keogh if we signed someone who was a significant improvement and that's what football is about. It's not that I'm calling for Keogh to be dropped but if we have the option to sign someone better, then Keogh should be dropped instead of Buxton.

Both Buxton and Keogh have the odd mistake in them, if they didn't they'd be playing at a higher level already. For me, the way they both pass the ball out from the back, setting up many of our moves, more than compensates for the occasional glitch.

Shackell was better defensively than either, but I doubt we could play the same way with him in the side.

I've seen Whitbread play a number of times and whilst he isn't a world beater in my opinion he is better than Keogh...I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, its my opinion and I am entitled it.

I didn't once say Buxton was at fault for the Ipswich goals your just jumping to your own conclusions, all I said was that he got battered on the right and he and the whole team looked more solid when he went back to the left (like we did for the rest of the season) which helped us claw back to a draw, if we stayed like we did 1st half we wouldn't have got a point.

My view on Keogh isn't just based on Wembley its also based on other mistakes he has made for example off the top of my head...a poor back pass away to Doncaster at 0-0 that Grant cleared off the line...a poor back pass at home to Huddersfield when 1 down and Wells missed a one on one and I'm pretty sure Yeovil at home he was at fault for Millers goal so that's 3 without looking into anything. He makes a mistake nearly every game just some are more costly like Wembley. Everyone makes mistakes just he does it more often in my opinion and isn't a patch on Barker or Shackell.

I'm not jumping to conclusions, you just need to word your posts better. It reads as if you're attributing the final score to Buxton being on the left hand side. Not my problem at all.

Grant slipped for the Doncaster backpass. Having said that, I heard a rumour that Keogh does part-time work as their groundsman so, you're right, he can be blamed for that one too.

At the end of the day, you think Whitbread is better and I think Keogh is better. It's just a shame for you that the only person whose opinion actually matters (Stevie Mac) appears to side with me :)

Keogh, on his day, is a great CB. However, he is prone to errors that often cost goals. These are often caused by his erratic defending where you really don't know what he's going to do, I'd hate to think what it's like playing alongside him...

Whitbread isn't the answer though. I'd only drop Keogh if we signed someone who was a significant improvement and that's what football is about. It's not that I'm calling for Keogh to be dropped but if we have the option to sign someone better, then Keogh should be dropped instead of Buxton.

I don't see why you'd want to change a winning formula though. The pairing of Buxton and Keogh led to us having one of the best defences whilst Mac was in charge. It'd be a risk to change it, especially if we already have one new face in the back four (providing Wisdom doesn't come back).

I'm not jumping to conclusions, you just need to word your posts better. It reads as if you're attributing the final score to Buxton being on the left hand side. Not my problem at all.

Grant slipped for the Doncaster backpass. Having said that, I heard a rumour that Keogh does part-time work as their groundsman so, you're right, he can be blamed for that one too.

At the end of the day, you think Whitbread is better and I think Keogh is better. It's just a shame for you that the only person whose opinion actually matters (Stevie Mac) appears to side with me :)

We will have to agree to disagree then mate.

For me our weakest point last season was defence which is what cost us promotion (not just Wembley)...so the only changes other than the obvious RB would be to CB and out of the 2 I think most would say Buxton was the better last season so that would mean for us to be better would be to get better than Keogh.

He played the majority of the season at RCB when Shackell was here, looked solid then.

I don't think he looked that solid that's why there used to be a lot of calls for him to be dropped etc I think O'Brien looked better than Buxton did then but Buxton has improved so much he is our no1 CB in my opinion.

We will have to agree to disagree then mate.

For me our weakest point last season was defence which is what cost us promotion (not just Wembley)...so the only changes other than the obvious RB would be to CB and out of the 2 I think most would say Buxton was the better last season so that would mean for us to be better would be to get better than Keogh.

And I disagree that our defence cost us promotion - we had one of the best defences in the league since the arrival of Mac!

Three things cost us promotion in my eyes:

1) Not having McClaren for the whole season

2) Not having Thorne for the whole season

3) That run of games vs Burnley, Millwall, Bolton and Reading where a mix of bad luck (Martin sending off) and not being able to score in a brothel meant we took 2 points from 12 and Burnley got away from us.

And I disagree that our defence cost us promotion - we had one of the best defences in the league since the arrival of Mac!

Three things cost us promotion in my eyes:

1) Not having McClaren for the whole season

2) Not having Thorne for the whole season

3) That run of games vs Burnley, Millwall, Bolton and Reading where a mix of bad luck (Martin sending off) and not being able to score in a brothel meant we took 2 points from 12 and Burnley got away from us.

This all day long.

I don't see why you'd want to change a winning formula though. The pairing of Buxton and Keogh led to us having one of the best defences whilst Mac was in charge. It'd be a risk to change it, especially if we already have one new face in the back four (providing Wisdom doesn't come back).

We're going to have to change it if we get promoted anyway though...

Archived