"CB squad player"

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply because he's not Prem level. He seems more than competent as Championship centre-half cover though.

Don't see why he'd loan out there to try get games here, not get any... So sign permanently to still not play. Doesn't make sense.

I wonder whether you're on drugs! ;)

Random statement...

We'll see won't we. Bucko gave it a season. I know for a fact there was talk of him leaving within close circles by those who know him immediately after Clough was sacked. That may have been reactionary as his attitude has turned 180 since the Ipswich game but if the right move comes along for him, he may well leave.

And Whitbread? I have my doubts that Whitbread can play on the right hand side. Left hand side has been Bucko's territory for most of the season.

I wouldn't mind Whitbread, I think he is a good experienced player that could come in and hold the fort. 

Yes, he was poor against Leeds, but when he first came in I didn't think his presence significantly weakened the team and he could more than hold his own with Buxton and Keogh. 

I must admit, however, that I would prefer a younger player to come in a potential drive for a place in the team. 

The only problem with Whitbread he is feckin sicknote. We already have two in O'Brien and Barker (will never play again). Hardly a good cover for two CB positions. I think Tom Naylor can not be considered as a first team player.

Yes, he was poor against Leeds, but when he first came in I didn't think his presence significantly weakened the team and he could more than hold his own with Buxton and Keogh. 

I've only just realised that when people are talking about his performance against Leeds, they are talking about the away game (Which I didn't see so have no reference of) and not the home game against Leeds (In which he performed perfectly well).

It would be harsh to judge him on his performance against Leeds, in a meaningless game, after months on the bench. With a full pre-season, I'm sure he could slot straight in.

Only worry is his fitness.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the thread we should be anxious about. Keogh/Buxton/Whitbread doesn't sound to me like a promotion winning combination. We scored more goals than anyone else last year and that wasn't enough. We need a dominant centre half who controls the back four. Buxton and Keogh should be fighting for one place.

I think this is the thread we should be anxious about. Keogh/Buxton/Whitbread doesn't sound to me like a promotion winning combination. We scored more goals than anyone else last year and that wasn't enough. We need a dominant centre half who controls the back four. Buxton and Keogh should be fighting for one place.

I agree with you that we need another CB who can come straight in but the issue is it both Buxton and Whitbread are left sided CB's and Keogh is the right sided CB so if we were to bring someone in its either to replace Keogh or to move Keogh to his unusual left side of CB....or maybe Keogh RB?

May sound daft but the Ipswich home game showed Buxton couldn't handle it at the right side of CB and i've even seen terry struggle for England when he has been put on the right side as he normally plays on the left.

I agree with you that we need another CB who can come straight in but the issue is it both Buxton and Whitbread are left sided CB's and Keogh is the right sided CB so if we were to bring someone in its either to replace Keogh or to move Keogh to his unusual left side of CB....or maybe Keogh RB?

May sound daft but the Ipswich home game showed Buxton couldn't handle it at the right side of CB and i've even seen terry struggle for England when he has been put on the right side as he normally plays on the left.

Not sure how you can write a player off based upon just 45 minutes, but it is DCFCFans so all logic does tend to go out of the window.

Not sure how you can write a player off based upon just 45 minutes, but it is DCFCFans so all logic does tend to go out of the window.

Who am I writing off after 45mins, Buxton? I'm just saying he plays left side so why move him when he was our best CB last season. Personally I think we need someone to replace Keogh but thats my own opinion.

Who am I writing off after 45mins, Buxton? I'm just saying he plays left side so why move him when he was our best CB last season. Personally I think we need someone to replace Keogh but thats my own opinion.

You said that, (on the basis of the first half) against Ipswich, Bucko could not play on the right side of the defence. Seems to be a pretty straightforward condemnation to me.

You said that, (on the basis of the first half) against Ipswich, Bucko could not play on the right side of the defence. Seems to be a pretty straightforward condemnation to me.

Please tell me what the score was at half time and then what the score was full time when he reverted to the left side at half time.

Wasn't just the fact he struggled he got absolutly battered yet was our best CB all season...is that not just proof he should stick to the left?

Archived