McClaren to Saints

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be sad to see McClaren go. He has done a fantastic job in his short time here and credit must go to Sam Rush and the board for wrestling the tide and taking the brave step to appoint him and proving a lot of us, including me, wrong.

But I think this is part and parcel of football and you can never become too attached to the manager as a result. This kind of speculation would only intensify the more successful we are. The idea of loyalty to a football club is from a bygone era, so I think we can discount any loyalty or commitment we feel we are due as an individual's hunger and desire to advance up the career ladder far outweighs that. 

Southampton are now an established Premier League club with full England internationals in their squad and if they show an interest, McClaren would be daft to resist and I don't believe for a minute, Rush and the board would stand in his way. If he were to leave, we would just move on and to be honest, given the season we have just had and the general infrastructure in place at the club, we would be a very attractive proposition for a new manager.

McClaren may well be noble and decent and stay with us, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. The world of football management and coaching is ruthless and your stock can be sky-high on Monday and in the mud on Tuesday. Of course, ideally, his vision would have been to enhance his reputation by getting us promoted and establishing us in the Premier League but at the same time, if he can expedite that process and take advantage of his positive stock and the feel-good factor he has created at the club, why wouldn't he?

I wouldn't be sad to see McClaren go. He has done a fantastic job in his short time here and credit must go to Sam Rush and the board for wrestling the tide and taking the brave step to appoint him and proving a lot of us, including me, wrong.

But I think this is part and parcel of football and you can never become too attached to the manager as a result. This kind of speculation would only intensify the more successful we are. The idea of loyalty to a football club is from a bygone era, so I think we can discount any loyalty or commitment we feel we are due as an individual's hunger and desire to advance up the career ladder far outweighs that. 

Southampton are now an established Premier League club with full England internationals in their squad and if they show an interest, McClaren would be daft to resist and I don't believe for a minute, Rush and the board would stand in his way. If he were to leave, we would just move on and to be honest, given the season we have just had and the general infrastructure in place at the club, we would be a very attractive proposition.

McClaren may well be noble and decent and stay with us, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. The world of football management and coaching is ruthless and your stock can be sky-high on Monday and in the mud on Tuesday. Of course, ideally, his vision would have been to enhance his reputation by getting us promoted and establishing us in the Premier League but at the same time, if he can expedite that process and take advantage of his positive stock and the feel-good factor he has created at the club, why wouldn't he?

I might agree if we were talking about one of this big four or five clubs in England, but not Southampton, sorry but while they are ahead of us in their growth they are not a bigger club, and minus two or three star players who appear to be moving there is nothing to say they will have as good a season as they have this.

Mac is still rebuilding his reputation in England, I'm not sure going to a mid table premier league side at this stage is best for him.

Your second paragraph is such a sad statement. Loyalty and commitment will only be consigned to the past if people allow it to be. To simply assume it is for everyone is rather depressing.

I think, with patience, McClaren will manage England again one day. I think it'll be something he wants to do as he acknowledges it came too early last time.

Never going to happen with the tabloid press we have in this country and with the type of person who reads the tabloid press.

Would be gutted if McClaren goes, so Im hoping its just paper talk. I guess it goes with the territory of playing attacking open football that has caught the eye of the footballing world - Derby recognised as playing entertaining football that fans want to watch.

Stay Stevie Mac and finish the job you've started please.

I might agree if we were talking about one of this big four or five clubs in England, but not Southampton, sorry but while they are ahead of us in their growth they are not a bigger club, and minus two or three star players who appear to be moving there is nothing to say they will have as good a season as they have this.

Mac is still rebuilding his reputation in England, I'm not sure going to a mid table premier league side at this stage is best for him.

Your second paragraph is such a sad statement. Loyalty and commitment will only be consigned to the past if people allow it to be. To simply assume it is for everyone is rather depressing.

Southampton might not be a bigger club, but right now, they are certainly more successful and like you said, ahead of us and more often than not, that is the bottom line in this profession.

You are right that there is nothing to say Southampton will have a good season next year but if you believe in your ability as a manager, you would say even if, according to reports, they sold Shaw and Lallana for a combined £45 million, it's not an impossible job to remain competitive.

Swansea won the League Cup under Laudrup, Wigan won the FA Cup under Martinez and even Hull will be playing in the Europa League under Bruce, so surely McClaren would look back at his experience with unfashionable clubs like Twente and Middlesbrough and say it's not unthinkable to push this team on even in those trying circumstances and even if the opportunity has come sooner than expected.

At the same time, let's not forget, there are no guarantees we are going to be gunning for promotion next year or we are going to be able to keep hold of our better players either!

So it's very much a challenging job in both cases but of course with Southampton, he would be where all managers want to be, testing himself at the highest level. I'm not so sure I agree it'd be a bad career move for McClaren. There is a risk, certainly, but at the end of the day, the move is only as successful as he makes it.

Isn't it looking like Soton's squad is about to be torn to shreds? No matter how much money they get, that will only magnify pressure on the next manager. Anything less than what they achieved this season if they get big deals for the likes of Lallana, Shaw and co will be seen as a failure, and if they stay that pressure is still going to be there. Premier League or not, why would a manager throw away a safe job, with a stable board and a good chance at a promotion season coming up, for a club that could well just dump all the pressure back on them.

The same goes for their current manager though. Who would want the Tottenham job, really? It only takes one sacking at that level to destroy a reputation, and the rare few who get away with one such sacking, tend to not last a second.

Unless Soton are offering him absolutely stupid amounts of money, I really don't see what the draw would be.

Given the number of management changes in a standard Premiership season why the heck would Schteeve want to move now?

He just has to keep doing what he done for us and he'll have clubs knocking at his door next season, if he wants it of course?

Sounds like typical tabloid WUMism  :o

Archived