Increase the iPro capacity?

Boycie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We spend most our time there though nowadays. That's our level?

For now

The point is, the plans are only there for an expansion of the stadium if and when we become an established premier league club. It could be argued that's what we almost were when we had been at Pride Park for a couple of seasons, but in reality we had over-stretched ourselves because our house was built on sand. The decline was inevitable. 

I don't know what our true potential is as far as bums on seats. When we first moved to PP we averaged 29,000, but they went down to 22,000 in just 2 seasons after relegation. The last time around, the average was over 32,400 in the Prem, and it took 5 seasons of boredom for them to bleed down to 23,000.

I'd suggest that in the Premier League, 33,000 is too small for us - perhaps we would get 40,000 for half a dozen of the 'bigger' opponents but again we need to be established. Increasing the capacity would only be something that should be undertaken on the back of 2 sellout seasons at mid-table or better.

Selling out 40,000 for odd games in the Prem would mean a lot of people getting in who are just there to watch Man U or Arsenal.

I think I'd prefer 33,000 with 27,000 season ticket holders. Screw the plastics.

If we can get promoted and survive then there is every reason to expand the stadium. The plans were to expand to 44,000. In the Prem we could fill that every week. Especially if we consider that the number of travelling fans will be higher per game. So if we sold 3,000 tickets to away fans we would need to sell 41,000 to the Rams fans for a sellout. Against the likes of the top 6 teams no problem. Hopefully we will have rail seats soon so that will boost our capacity. 

If we expanded to 44,000 and only managed 40,000 average in the Prem....so what. I would love it if we did and then the stand behind the goal was converted entirely to rail seats boosting that stands capacity by a further 50% at least. The stadium atmosphere would be incredible. 

We can not compare ourselves to last time. Firstly we did not deserve to finish on 11 points, anyone who went to the matches knows that. This time round we have a fantastic set up. A brilliant young squad a top class manager supported by two top class coaches. One of which is regarded as the best in the world at what he does. Things are only going to get better. 

The only ways it will make financial sense to increase the capacity are if we are chosen as a World Cup or Euro venue and we are paid to increase the capacity or we wait for safe standing which would increase capacity by 1000 per end tier and 1500 per side tier (approx).

The only ways it will make financial sense to increase the capacity are if we are chosen as a World Cup or Euro venue and we are paid to increase the capacity or we wait for safe standing which would increase capacity by 1000 per end tier and 1500 per side tier (approx).

I've no idea of what implementing the planned extension would cost up front or in added maintenance, or what payback period would make it worthwhile. Would you be able to hazard a guess?

It depends on the cost. The maximum capacity we can expand to is 44,000, which Gadsby planned to do if we had stayed up in 2007/08.

If we can't always flll 44,000 and are getting 35 to 40 then It could still be an investment with the potential to host other events.

Although Wolves had ambitious plans to expand Molineux up to 50,000 and that backfired.

Could it just be a vanity project?

Last time I checked the playoff final was this coming Saturday! Yet we're already talking of promotion and stadium expansions!!

Being optimistic is one thing, but this seems a little premature?! Lets wait a week then we can talk about signing Messi and ronaldo and increasing the capacity to 99000...

Go up, stay up, then if we're averaging 32k plus as you'd expect, I'd go for it. Half a dozen big games a year I think you'd guarantee 40k, and even for the smaller clubs you'd get 35k or more with a Smith/McLaren type side and a bit of a buzz about.

The downside is if we did have a bad patch in the future, because 20k in a 40k stadium would look poor. That's a risk I'd take though, as having the bigger stadium not only makes it less likely to an extent, but it would make it more fun. Who wouldn't like to be in a 40k crowd at Derby?

Add safe standing in and we might even beat the record attendance one day.  :)

Was at the BBG for our record attendance 42k against Spurs aaah the good old days.

Think it's a perfect size.

Unless there's a major shift and we somehow a) get promoted, b) stay up and c) establish firmly then it's a waste.

I would hate PPS to be half empty in the second division.

Also potential for Safe Standing in the next few years. That could add a few thousand to the South Stand (and away corner?) as it is.

I've no idea of what implementing the planned extension would cost up front or in added maintenance, or what payback period would make it worthwhile. Would you be able to hazard a guess?

I seem to remember reading years ago that expanding to 44,000 would cost £15m so I guess it's more.like £20m now.

Leaving aside any loss of income from reduced capacity whilst expanding I would guess we would get an extra £1.5m a year in the Prem and £250k in the championship. Therefore it would take 13 prem seasons or 80 championship seasons to pay the money back.

All guesswork but I imagine it's in the right ballpark.

Last time I checked the playoff final was this coming Saturday! Yet we're already talking of promotion and stadium expansions!!

Being optimistic is one thing, but this seems a little premature?! Lets wait a week then we can talk about signing Messi and ronaldo and increasing the capacity to 99000...

Throughout this thread, the continuing theme has been "if we get up and if we become established at the higher level". Don' you think that's a sensible approach? I suppose not in your mind, hence the rather silly throwaway about Messi and co.

Leave it as it is it's a cold place as it is on a winter night make it bigger means more

Empty seats if we can't stay up and with the cold wind blowing around all the empty

Seats god help us loyal fans freezing our tits off . Some of these fans going to wembley

Haven't even been since we last played there as I no a couple .

Throughout this thread, the continuing theme has been "if we get up and if we become established at the higher level". Don' you think that's a sensible approach? I suppose not in your mind, hence the rather silly throwaway about Messi and co.

No it is not the sensible approach at all. Nothings won yet.

Think 44,000/45,000 would be too much for us but I do agree that 33,500 isn't enough when we're in the Premiership, especially for the big games. 40,000 would be my ideal capacity although I appreciate its probably 45k or stay as we are in view of the submitted plans.

I think what folk are forgetting is that even if we did establish ourselves in the top division - there's no guarantee that PPS will be packed to the rafters every week. Its one thing having an initial season of excitement playing the big boys after years in the second tier but imagine we've been in the Prem for 5 years bouncing around between 10th to 17th place. People will start to take playing at that level for granted & interest would undoubtedly drop off. For example, our last 3 seasons in the Prem 1999-2002 (pre the 11 point disaster) averaged just below 29k. Compare this to 2007-08 when we averaged 32,500.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/derc.htm

Archived