Increase the iPro capacity?

Boycie

Last time I checked the playoff final was this coming Saturday! Yet we're already talking of promotion and stadium expansions!!

Being optimistic is one thing, but this seems a little premature?! Lets wait a week then we can talk about signing Messi and ronaldo and increasing the capacity to 99000...

Messi and Ronaldo won't sign until 2016.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throughout this thread, the continuing theme has been "if we get up and if we become established at the higher level". Don' you think that's a sensible approach? I suppose not in your mind, hence the rather silly throwaway about Messi and co.

I agree with that but many are talking as though we're already an established prem club! I think Wolves are good examples of how things can backfire! I'd love to see us top flight with a 40+k following every week, but I'd worry that we'd either end up with a half empty stadium or lose our great atmosphere by diluting it with the "plastics"! What do you think?

40-42k would be a good next level for the club to move up to. That would move us to around top 10 for capacity within the country whereas we're currently in the 11-20 region, and that's a big difference. Already, we have to acknowledge our ticket prices are reasonable but the people running the club would rather have bums on seats playing less, than fewer people playing more. If that continued then there's the potential to continue to offer the best value in our division and also bring a lot more people in and build the fanbase of the future. It's long termist, but it's a sensible plan.

We all know Derby is absolutely a football town and I think we have the numbers and desire. 42k is a little more than Everton, and about the same as Villa and Chelsea. These are the teams I want to be competing with as equals, not as the plucky little guys. And the great thing is we all know and understand the stadium was designed with this expansion in mind, enabling it to be done very inexpensively. IF we go up and if we are then able to stay up, I'd hope this would happen over next summer. Wouldn't that be amazing? We'd be the club in the country really going places.

Anyone got a link to a picture of what it would look like?

I say build the fecker, we could always do what Leeds do and only open it for big games.. Just keep it for general sale.

An even bigger reason to build it is that we will no longer look like the bloody Riverside any more... Why we ever built a ground that someone else already had I will never know... 

An even bigger reason to build it is that we will no longer look like the bloody Riverside any more... Why we ever built a ground that someone else already had I will never know...

It was new stadium or redevelop the baseball ground.

The new stadium plan was shelved, but then PG manager to get a deal on Pride Park and persuade the board to go for it. Quickest and cheapest option - build one that had been done before.

It was new stadium or redevelop the baseball ground.

The new stadium plan was shelved, but then PG manager to get a deal on Pride Park and persuade the board to go for it. Quickest and cheapest option - build one that had been done before.

Re-developing The Baseball Ground was always going to be difficult. There were planning rules against stands more than 75 feet high with the close proximity of the houses. I remember the first designs - I think that George Hardy had them drawn up.

I seem to remember reading years ago that expanding to 44,000 would cost £15m so I guess it's more.like £20m now.

Leaving aside any loss of income from reduced capacity whilst expanding I would guess we would get an extra £1.5m a year in the Prem and £250k in the championship. Therefore it would take 13 prem seasons or 80 championship seasons to pay the money back.

All guesswork but I imagine it's in the right ballpark.

If we expanded by 10,000 (sold these seats every game) and got £300 per season per seat based off season tickets and match day tickets then that would amount to £3m extra per season. We would also boost our commercial revenue with an expanded capacity £0.5m-£1m per season. 

So in terms of investment it is worth it to me. Could be something that would take just 6 years to pay back directly with Premier League Football. £20m is nothing compared to a guaranteed £65m odd a season in the PL for survival. Mark my words, the next PL TV deals will be even bigger, boosting that up again to probably over £70m. 

If we don't do it we will be left behind. 

If we expanded by 10,000 (sold these seats every game) and got £300 per season per seat based off season tickets and match day tickets then that would amount to £3m extra per season. We would also boost our commercial revenue with an expanded capacity £0.5m-£1m per season. 

So in terms of investment it is worth it to me. Could be something that would take just 6 years to pay back directly with Premier League Football. £20m is nothing compared to a guaranteed £65m odd a season in the PL for survival. Mark my words, the next PL TV deals will be even bigger, boosting that up again to probably over £70m. 

If we don't do it we will be left behind. 

Think your figures may be a bit optimistic.Total match receipts for 12/13 came in at £5.285m,which equates to rather less than £3m per 10,000 fans.Even if we stayed up more than 1 year in the Prem and prices were raised in the 2nd year,it still looks a bit demanding to me.

Another consideration would be the financing.If external debt were employed,there'd be debt charges to add to the capital cost.

Nothing about football makes financial sense.

It's about the fans, more fans better atmosphere. Players feel better, win more. Win more, earn more, and so on.

Throw thee calculator away Ramblur me owd chum, it's not needed in football club ownership.

Nothing about football makes financial sense.

It's about the fans, more fans better atmosphere. Players feel better, win more. Win more, earn more, and so on.

Throw thee calculator away Ramblur me owd chum, it's not needed in football club ownership.

Hardly calculator material,Boycie,in fact I hardly ever use one.Luckily I came from an era when slide rules were only just being accepted and my maths teacher would have looked daggers at me if I'd put pen to paper to try and work out 48x51 (and I'm being serious). I can guarantee certain sums would be done before this ever got off the ground.

Anyhow,I was just commenting on someone else's calculation,not offering an opinion on whether I thought it would be a good idea.

Archived