Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

I think we should aim for a ST and a winger next. I'd like to see Gary Mackay Steven for the winger because he'd be a coup within our budget!

I also thought I'd suggest Jonatan Soriano. I don't know what sort of wages he'd be on, but I know Newcastle were interested. So he may be happy to fight for a position in a decent English side, instead of playing at RB Salzburg. Thoughts?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should aim for a ST and a winger next. I'd like to see Gary Mackay Steven for the winger because he'd be a coup within our budget!

I also thought I'd suggest Jonatan Soriano. I don't know what sort of wages he'd be on, but I know Newcastle were interested. So he may be happy to fight for a position in a decent English side, instead of playing at RB Salzburg. Thoughts?

If Newcastle were interested I doubt he's in our budget haha! Salzburg and the Austrian league isn't a bad level at all, probably better than us. They got to the latter stages of the Europa league last season.

No offense but you're dreaming mate. Neither of those are coming to Derby any time soon. Especially not Soriano.

He is nothing like Hughes. Much stronger and can also play CB so loads better defensively than Hughes. As he can play more than one position he would be an ideal loan.

Having watched him a very good number of times, I would strongly disagree. 

It's between him and Hughes who starts defensive midfielder for the England u21 and Hughes is a lot, lot better. He has more touches of the ball, more tackles, more interceptions, better use of the ball, more decisive use of the ball...etc 

In fact, I could be wrong but I would argue that Hughes out performed Chalobah in every department last season (if someone is nice enough to look then please)

Pass accuracy, key passes, tackles, interceptions, quantity of passes, touches and everything else that you'd expect to be important for a defensive midfielder. 

I've watched Chalobah enough to know that he's just as weak as Hughes is and not as talented either. I don't rate him that high at all, especially since I started taking more notice of him. He also likes losing the ball in his own half, quite often too. 

Am I the only one who thinks we need 2 forwards and get rid of Sammon?

We need someone who can come in and do what Martin can do which was why we targeted Juke.

But we also need a poacher who can come on and nick us a goal and play along side Martin when teams are sitting back against us...a prime example being Millwall at home or the playoff final. We need someone like a Kevin Phillips type player

We need someone who can come in and do what Martin can do which was why we targeted Juke.

But we also need a poacher who can come on and nick us a goal and play along side Martin when teams are sitting back against us...a prime example being Millwall at home or the playoff final. We need someone like a Kevin Phillips type player

Two forwards would be great but it's a huge luxury when we have so many widemen who can also slot in centrally if we desperate (Russell/Ward). So really you'd be looking at someone who can step in with similar attributes to Martin then if he was out longer term you'd have to tackle a loan then.

No you're not the only one. 99% of us believe this should be the priority  :huh:

There's a young striker at Chelsea that is getting a few people excited called Solanke, he's not a target man but he'd be a great loan signing but would need to be on the bench a lot.

I wouldn't mind sitting back and letting Bennett have a bit more game time, either as a striker playing on the last man or on the wing. 

Two forwards would be great but it's a huge luxury when we have so many widemen who can also slot in centrally if we desperate (Russell/Ward). So really you'd be looking at someone who can step in with similar attributes to Martin then if he was out longer term you'd have to tackle a loan then.

I think Russell would be a huge threat down the middle with Martin, he looks like he links up well with Martin from his goal against Leeds at home and also Martins 1st against Notts in the friendly the other week...McClaren likes to swap both wingers in a game normally so if Russell was to go centrally we would need 2 more wingers.

For me...

CDM - Ake - 6 Month Loan...see how far away Thorne is come Jan if to extend or not, can also cover CB

Winger 1 - Eagles - Free...direct running with the ball especially against tired legs if he comes on as sub, decent set piece and always causes us problems.

Winger 2 - Ibe - Season Loan...highly rated winger, pacey and direct, would be an excellent signing.

Forward - Wood - Buy...direct backup with Martin, we reportedly bid around 1m for Juke so maybe around 1m plus add ons to 2m for Wood would get him.

Personally for me I think Christie will do well but unsure on Freeman as backup. If Hull sign another RB I wouldn't mind us going in for Rosenior.

Sell Sammon and use the money to help towards the Wood fee...Russell used down the middle more this season as well as starting on the wing.

There's a young striker at Chelsea that is getting a few people excited called Solanke, he's not a target man but he'd be a great loan signing but would need to be on the bench a lot.

I wouldn't mind sitting back and letting Bennett have a bit more game time, either as a striker playing on the last man or on the wing.

Wasn't we linked with another Chelsea forward a while back on loan...Islam Feruz? Not sure what sort of forward he is though.

I think maybe Jason Roberts and Jimmy Bullard would add to the squad. 

Bullard can also take set pieces too !!!

whys noone mentioned these names hey ?

:ph34r:

Heard that Robbie Savage is pretty good  :ph34r:

Wasn't we linked with another Chelsea forward a while back on loan...Islam Feruz? Not sure what sort of forward he is though.

He's very, very raw at the minute so I can't imagine what to expect from him. He's very much a wide striker though, he likes to roam about a bit and get into pockets of space. 

Whenever I've seen him, which isn't a great deal in comparison to others, he picks the ball up and likes to change direction whether he has to or not. Very unpredictable, raw and small but fantastic technically. I get the feeling that he'd impress in a game of five aside, if you know what I mean. 

We obviously need a new striker but it's hard to find a good one in our budget who fits the Martin mould. 

@englandyouth: Jose confirming Bamford, Swift, Chalobah and presumably Baker will all be heading out on loan to "play against men". #CFC #EnglandU21s

Bamford and Chalobah I'll have. 

Don't really need another CM so it's a no for Baker and Swift. (they are CM right?)

Archived