Young player of year announced

Spanish

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young Player of the Year shortlist and nominee information:

Will Hughes (Derby County) 
One of the most talked-about youngsters in the English game, midfielder Hughes has been a fixture in Derby's side for the last two seasons - and he doesn't even turn 19 until April. The youngster made his debut at the age of 16 in November 2011 before really establishing himself from the start of 2012/13 with a series of eye-catching displays in the Rams' engine room. His comfort on the ball and ability to pick a pass have seen him progress through the England Under-17 and Under-19 squads to the Under-21 setup. Hughes was also named The Football League's Young Player of the Month for November 2012.

Liam Moore (Leicester City) 
Born in nearby Loughborough, Moore is living the dream by turning out for the club he supports - and is making great strides while doing so. The 21-year-old has progressed rapidly as a regular in Nigel Pearson's starting XI with his strength and poise marking him out as a defender of some repute in the Foxes' push for promotion from the Sky Bet Championship. Six-footer Moore is a member of the England Under-21 squad having previously earned Under-17 honours, while his outstanding form this season was recognised with The Football League Young Player of the Month award for September 2013.

Alex Pritchard (Swindon Town) 
Midfield schemer Pritchard is on a season-long loan with Swindon Town from Tottenham Hotspur and has shown why he is so highly-rated by the Premier League club. His role means he is behind many of the Robins' attacking moves as he probes at opposing defences and carves out chances for his colleagues while also adding vital goals of his own. Still only 20, and having previously been on loan at Peterborough United, Pritchard has made great strides in League 1 for Swindon this season and is a popular figure at the County Ground with seven goals registered in all competitions. He is also an England Under-20 international.

Jeeeez, if Hughes has been nominated then it's been a dreadful year for the young'uns. He wouldn't be in the top 6 players of the year at DCFC never mind the football league.

Good luck tho.

Agreed , how much do we reckon he's worth now ?

I am glad he has been nominated. I think too many people want him dribbling past everyone, scoring wonder goals. What he does brilliantly is keep things ticking over. Sadly the type of player we vastly undervalue the importance of in this country.

Liam Moore will win.

Ings will win the other.

Bets?

Liam Moore is nailed on, so is Drinkwater for the player of the year. super, amazing, fantastic, first on FLS every week, incredilble the likes of has never been seen before Leicester. Manish and Gary wont have it any other way, the sooner they f**k off to the premier league and reality uppercuts in the b******s the better! never seen a Champ team drooled over by so many pundits, TV etc before in my life! 

Jeeeez, if Hughes has been nominated then it's been a dreadful year for the young'uns. He wouldn't be in the top 6 players of the year at DCFC never mind the football league.

Good luck tho.

You're watching different games to me.

Agreed , how much do we reckon he's worth now ?

I would say if he were only judged on this season then 1~2M.

Good enough for Championship level but unfortunately, has not stepped up from the level he showed the previous season.

Said it before and I'll say it again...

There are so many young players in Spanish football that possess similar abilites to Will Hughes..

I like the guy, I love the fact Derby have a player who can pass the ball and not treat it like a hot potato. But he's massively overrated in the grand scheme of things because of England's lack of players in that mould.

And I know he's got his own thread, but worth mentioning on this one that Bennett got apprentice of the year.

We're the only team, as far as I can tell, they have got two winners at those awards. That got to speak volumes for our youth set up.

Whether that develops our own youth, picked up by our new youth scout, or to develop the skills of other clubs' youngsters in on loan, it's all good really.

Said it before and I'll say it again...

There are so many young players in Spanish football that possess similar abilites to Will Hughes..

I like the guy, I love the fact Derby have a player who can pass the ball and not treat it like a hot potato. But he's massively overrated in the grand scheme of things because of England's lack of players in that mould.

That may well be the case. But if England wish to do anything on the world stage...he is the type of player we need... Unless we go all out Big Sam style and stick Carroll up top...

Archived