Derby County v Millwall

sage

We will all debate and agree / disagree.

For me......

Bamford is so lightweight that he can't play the lone striker role.

Therefore we had to play sammon.

If ward is available then i'd pick him even if he can't last 90 mins.

The midfield trio didn't unduly bother me, altho i feel hughes is wasted playing deep.

But eustace sometimes contributes to the Wisdom-like reluctance to attack.

With a bit more quality we might have gone 2-0 up.

But after 30 minutes we seemed to have run out of fizz

The lack of pace to get in behind their back four was apparent.

I half expected and hoped for a change at half time.

The subs came too late and added nothing.

I thought keogh deserved credit for trying to drive us forward.

But he should be bolloking wisdom and kicking a few backsides.

I fear that a slight lack of quality is now becoming apparent.

We've done well, but it feels like things might just fizzle out.

I agree with that but I though Keogh was very poor giving away the free kick which they scored from, so silly to give away, I sadly once called it right and said thats the type of silly free kick the oppostion will score from and cost us

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with that but I though Keogh was very poor giving away the free kick which they scored from, so silly to give away, I sadly once called it right and said thats the type of silly free kick the oppostion will score from and cost us

From where i was it didn't look a foul?

I can't really comment on today, didn't go, didn't listen. So I am going on what I have read here and elsewhere. Of all the attacking options we have, there is only Martin who can play as the focal point, I feared his Burnley dismissal would cost us more than that result. That said, the players coming in should have been good enough against Millwall. I do wonder if part of the choices weren't taking Millwall for granted so we could play a "stronger" side for Bolton?

Anyway, I say back to the gung ho approach but I do think the pressure on us has cranked up. During our fantastic winning run, we were far above expectations. That set a standard the players are struggling to keep up to. And the response on here shows how high our expectations are. I always go on about it! The play offs is our aim and we are easily on target for that.

Would bring back Eustace and ward for the Bolton game could tell Russell was annoyed not to start as he looked shaky when he came on!! Dawkins shouldn't of been bright of Bamford should have

Really? So you think the rest of the squad doesn't like Connor Sammon?

No just don't think they really put a ball for him to run onto or gave him really nothing to work with tbh we missed Martin

As inept a performance as I've seen for a long, long time. Millwall were dreadful, we were worse. I've read some comments about the ref which surprised me, I thought he was among the best referees we have had this season; allowed the game to be physical and to flow, there is nothing he can do when a player goes down and lies about the fact he needs the trainer on - he has to allow the trainer on. The only thing he should have done was book their keeper in the first half, having been time wasting from the first minute.

Millwall's game plan was to slow the game down at every opportunity to knock us out of our stride. We fell for it got sucked down to their level after a promising start, and in the end just gave up.

Too many players weren't putting a shift in today and that simply isn't acceptable.

Grant: did everything fine but flapped at the cross for the goal, but pulled off a superb save moments later when the millwall player was clean through

Wisdom: not much to do defensively so why so reluctant to get forward and join the attacks?

Keogh: at least tried to drive us forward and looked solid

Bucko: was typical Bucko but I haven't seen the replay of the goal so don't know who should have cleared it

Forsyth: showed wisdom what he should be doing by getting forward and crossing

Hendrick: anonymous, no idea what he was meant to be doing and I can barely remember him touching the ball

Hughes: playing deep, kept everything ticking over, thought he played well

Bryson: wasn't his usual self at all normally pops up all over the place but not today

Dawkins: our most likely attacking threat, especially 2nd half, surprised to see him taken off, should have scored when only the keeper to beat

Bamford: I saw someone compare him to Connor Doyle, on today's showing that's tough on Doyle. I can't think of a single thing he did well or contributed to. He was either lazy and disinterested, or he's out of his depth. Play him up front or don't play him at all.

Sammon: a tough afternoon when he was expected to play Martin's role when he can't. Why couldn't we change tactics a bit and play to his strengths?

Subs:

Ward: added more spark and momentum

Russell: didn't add any spark or momentum, one trick pony which the millwall players sussed within 30 seconds.

Bennett: came on late

Would bring back Eustace and ward for the Bolton game could tell Russell was annoyed not to start as he looked shaky when he came on!! Dawkins shouldn't of been bright of Bamford should have

I dont think that shows Russell was annoyed not to start and he hasnt really done enough in the games he has started of late

Strange interview by schteve.

Clearly reacted when owen bradley said 'with chris martin out you had one change to make, but made 3'.

the referee is under no obligation to allow the trainer on the pitch

Exactly.... Holloways after match interview was essence, " my players don't stay down if they stay down there hurt" followed by " we had a game plan and stuck to it" haha I'm actually laughing about it now but at the time was fkn raging....the time wasting by the goalie was unbelievable, yes he got booked but it still carried on.....shouldn't have subbed Dawkins....and I'd really like to see thorne given a chance...he's highly regarded at west brom and someone did put his statistics from his loan At Watford up on a thread when he first got here, which looked pretty impressive.....all in all not a good performance today, team selection, tactics, and performance

Didn't go and sounds like a proper tactical fudge up. It happens tho. McLaren will make mistakes and unfortunately sounds like we were punished. The stakes are high right now, but I've still got faith that the Mac to set is right.

It's a massive opportunity thrown away, but on the flip side everyone has bad days at the office and today so happens the Mac did just that.

Keep the faith tho - play offs are all but guaranteed

:)

And why the fook did he stop play when one of their players went down with what was clearly NOT a head injury?

There was the guy who went down right on the touchline by the East stand - should have been told to get off the pitch if he wanted treatment.

They were taking the p1ss and I'm afraid the Ref was far too weak to do anything about it. Taking until the 90th minute to book their Keeper for what he'd been doing for the entirety of the game summed him up - clueless.

No he isn't but if a player is lying and says I think I've broken my leg/ had my head chopped off etc etc he's not going to say no.  he has to be guided by the player and to be fair with players going down all over the pitch I think it was only once he actually stopped play.

You could see by the way he marched an 'injured' player off the pitch towards the end how fed up even he was, but i thought he was stuck between a rock and a hard place really. If he doesn't allow the trainer on an a player actually is seriously injured, he's going to be in a lot of trouble.

Archived