New scouting set up

Boss

I think the point is that we spent money on the likes of Sammon and Keogh, that might've got better players from the foreign markets.

All in all we've done ok shopping at home.

You won't get good players on the cheap from argentina.

Why would a good up and coming player want to up sticks to derby unless good money is invovled?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do clubs usually make announcements on scouting setups? Find it a bit weird to be honest.

On the whole, I think the club is trying to project an image of transparency and interaction with the fans. With all the changes we've been through this season in terms of staff, it doesn't surprise me this has been announced like it has.

I quite like it to be honest. I wonder if fans of other clubs have this much insight into the off-field set up of their club.

Why would a good up and coming player want to up sticks to derby unless good money is invovled?

The point I would make is that we haven't too bad back in the day in the foreign market either. Swings and roundabouts in both areas of the market really.

Do clubs usually make announcements on scouting setups? Find it a bit weird to be honest.

there had been a fair amount of 'muttering' from the fans about the lack of scouting under NC's regime, plus we've brought in Chris Evans to head up this side of things, so it makes complete sense to make an announcement now that we've got the 'team' in place....

Disagree completely. Every bad signing we've made in the last 4 years has been from 'shopping at home'.

The wages in Argentina, aside of the elite, like in most countries, are pretty poor. I'd say you're likely to find better quality for £750k and £10k per week abroad than here in UK.

I sometimes wonder Ramnut if you'd rather we just give up trying to improve and go back to stagnating in boredom!

It feels like we are creating a strong set up to get into and stay in the Premiership, this bodes well if we can get up this season. If we just make the play-offs this season though, its going to feel like a lot of overhead unless we display Leicester levels of dominance in the Championship next season. I think that international young players will come here if they get the promise of superlative coaching, joining the likes of Hughes and Bamford, perhaps thats our USP?

Why are the days of home-grown players long gone?

Did we not sign brayford, bailey, forsyth, Buxton, bryson, ward, martin, russell, dawkins and others?

I meant a squad entirely made of home-grown players. As recently as 20 years ago, that'd have been realistic but not now.

You're right that we have bought some pretty decent English players & its much easier to get a team ethic/cohesion with a bunch of lads who speak the same language/have the same culture. But its unnecessarily restrictive not looking at the foreign market for the different qualities out there that we perhaps don't have to the same extent in England - flair players with great technique for instance.

That was one of my biggest gripes with the previous regime, particularly when you look at how we've benefitted in recent times from quality & (at the time) unknown foreigners - Stimac, Wanchope, Idiakez, Rasiak etc

Disagree completely. Every bad signing we've made in the last 4 years has been from 'shopping at home'.

The wages in Argentina, aside of the elite, like in most countries, are pretty poor. I'd say you're likely to find better quality for £750k and £10k per week abroad than here in UK.

I sometimes wonder Ramnut if you'd rather we just give up trying to improve and go back to stagnating in boredom!

Obviously....in the last 4 years as all signings good or bad were from home.

Just because you don't like 1 or 2 signings, doesnt make the concept wrong.

I'm no expert but i don't think it is possible to get work permits for cheapo foreign non-internationals from outside europe.

So the idea of picking up cheap players from south america seems like a load of bull to me.

I don't think there is owt wrong with the theory of building a core of home grown players from our academy or other british clubs.

Build some solid foundations before trying to stick a fancy roof on.

All the best young foreign talent is bought up pretty quickly by Chelsea who are way ahead of the game.

They are buying up the best young players - especially in europe.

The role of recruitment for under 21 players is probably the most important at the club.

Who does it go to?

The managers fkn son.

Why? Couldn't we get the bloke who painted the stadium?

RE work permits, you can get one for a player if they're deemed to be a special talent. How you go about arguing that, I don't know.

If we pick up someone really special but can't get a work permit we can loan them to another European side in a nation with less strict rules. Arsenal have been doing this a lot in recent years.

Argentina is a pretty decent place to go though as a lot of them have Italian ancestry and can make some sort of claim to being European.

Or not, in Esteban Fuertes' case.

As much as anything, I can't see what harm it does building bridges with the world of football. It could be the difference one day.

In the last four years all of our signings, whether good, bad or indifferent, have come from 'shopping at home' because NC's scouting network went as far north as Aberdeen and as far South as Burton. Conversely in the couple of years previous to that we had the likes of Pereplotkins, Kazmierzak, Tito etc who would score more points in scrabble than football and must have been scouted by Stevie Wonder. Hopefully this new set up will take us back to the good old days when we unearthed diamonds like Igor and Wanchope.

The role of recruitment for under 21 players is probably the most important at the club.

Who does it go to?

The managers fkn son.

Why? Couldn't we get the bloke who painted the stadium?

What evidence do you have to suggest he's not up to it? Is it only that he's Steve Mac's son that it bothers you?

A manager needs to trust his scout in any instance, so I don't see nepotism as a problem in this field. I never got the issue with Simon Clough for the same reason. He wasn't the problem.

Something to think about - I once started a thread on the DET about a Pride Park dream team. The ultimate XI of players who played for Derby at our third ground.

Almost every single team people put forward had a majority of players born outside of the UK. That's quite something if you think about it - it's not been too common for foreigners to outnumber British players in Derby sides.

What evidence do you have to suggest he's not up to it? Is it only that he's Steve Mac's son that it bothers you?

A manager needs to trust his scout in any instance, so I don't see nepotism as a problem in this field. I never got the issue with Simon Clough for the same reason. He wasn't the problem.

Come off it.

Archived