New scouting set up

Boss

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that after the demise of Jim Smith's time at the club, too many foreign players in the squad was cited as one of the reasons why we fell from grace and were ultimately relegated.

Anyone else recall that?

But a correct balance got us to finish 8th...

The problem with bringing foreign players is that they may not adapt to the culture very well, which is why I think the majority of the squad should be British or Irish. This isn't a racist thing at all, it's to do with the team togetherness and not creating any clique's. If you get foreigners who get the team mentality, which ours is honesty and hard working i.e no big ego's, then that wouldn't be a problem. Yes the player has to be quality but they need to settle quickly, which I think a lot of foreigners struggle to do especially if they aren't world class. That's what I praise Nigel Clough for, a fantastic team mentality. As long as we bring players who would fit in well with our group, whether they're from Britain or South American or wherever then there's less chance for things to go tits up :)

I remember that after the demise of Jim Smith's time at the club, too many foreign players in the squad was cited as one of the reasons why we fell from grace and were ultimately relegated.

Anyone else recall that?

I remember Smith saying he wanted more U.K players hence why he went out and bought the likes of Boertein, Christie, Morris, Jackson, etc. 

It didn't really work. 

Anyone else recall that?

no, the reason was not replacing the players he sold well enough, and in his final transfer window, he only signed Ravanelli, and then re-signed Eranio. Eggs in one basket. The amount of foreigners was irrelevant.

Archived