Chris Martin interview

CumbrianRam

The season's end is approaching in the Championship, and with it, the promotion race is hotting up. In the midst of the battle is a Derby County side who look increasingly likely to clinch a playoff place, at the very least. Led by Chris Martin up front, who has scored or assisted 20 of their 58 goals (34.5%), they are hoping to make a return to the Premier League next season. 

WhoScored.com were recently given the chance to discuss the season so far, what the future holds and more with the former Norwich City striker, and here's what he had to say. 

Currently 4th in the Championship, Derby have been performing above many people's expectations this season, how do you evaluate the season so far?

I think it's been a very good season, we obviously weren't one of the favourites to be where we are now, but we've shown people that we deserve to be there with the way we've played. I think we've played some very good football, scored a lot of goals and had some very good performances so it's nothing more than we deserve.

What has Steve McClaren changed at the club since taking the reigns as manager?

He's not changed a great deal, we play a slightly different shape which has suited the personnel we've got. We work on a few different things in training but nothing too major. I think we always had the quality and he's just found a way of making us click and getting the best out of us. 

What would it mean to the club, and on a personal level, to make it back into the Premier League?

It would be a massive achievement if we could do that this season. That's the goal for every footballer, the Premier League is revered across the world, it's one of the best leagues if not the best in the world. It's certainly the biggest in terms of revenue and numbers watching it on television, so that's where everyone wants to be playing their football and on a personal level I'm exactly the same. I've had a little taste of it at Norwich and if I could get back there it would mean the world to me.

"http://164.177.157.12/img/blog/2014%2F2%2FChris-Martin%5D" title="EXCLUSIVE: WhoScored Interviews Chris Martin" alt="2014%2F2%2FChris-Martin%5D">

With the increase in statistical data to measure performance, do you consider stats to be a key aspect of the modern game? How do you find they are best used?

They are obviously coming to the fore more and more, most managers use them now - a lot of the managers I've played under certainly do, using Prozone stats. I think it's very good, sometimes you can use them too much, you can get wound up in focusing too much on having good stats, but they are something you can analyse to see how you've performed; passes, how you kept the ball, and how many shots you have had. They are a vital tool for teams to use, especially in terms of verifying exactly what happened in a game. Sometimes you can have a different opinion when you're playing and don't actually see the game for what it is, but you look after at the stats and it can reaffirm feelings or tell you the real story. It's a key part of the game and as the years go by data will probably get used even more. 

You rank fourth in the Championship for goals + assists this season, how do you rate your season so far on a personal level?

It's been pretty good, but it could have been better. Every striker will tell you that they would always like to score a few more goals, but I've been pleased up to this point. I don't want to let myself think that I've cracked it now, I want to push on and achieve the targets that I've set myself both on a personal level and as a team. We want to be successful this year and I'm pleased with how things have gone so far.

Derby are the second highest-rated team in the Championship this season according to WhoScored's rating system, do you think this is a better reflection of the side's performances than your current league position?

Possibly, it's difficult to know. I'm not 100% sure how the ratings are worked out but I do feel like we are one of the better sides in the division. The way we play football, we pass and move and have a lot of possession, but it could be that the main stat that counts is points on the board and we might have done something wrong if the stats say we are the second best team. However, we are definitely one of the better teams in the league and we've proved that over the course of the season, there's no doubting that, so WhoScored's rating isn't far away from being spot on.

Your statistically calculated strengths include 'passing' and 'finishing'. Do you consider these the strongest aspects of your game?

They are a couple of them, definitely. As a striker you've obviously got to be able to stick the ball in the net, and I've managed to that quite well this season, and then bringing other people into the game is a key aspect of my game at this club, where we play one up front. You have to be providing for other people and laying the ball off for them, using me as a focal point and having runners off me, so yes, they are two things that are a product of how we play as a team. We obviously create a lot of chances and I've managed to put a few away, but we also use me a lot in open play to try and get attacks started and play through the middle, so I've had to be good at them and it's been a good job I have I suppose!

"http://164.177.157.12/img/blog/2014%2F2%2FChrisMartincharacteristics" title="EXCLUSIVE: WhoScored Interviews Chris Martin" alt="2014%2F2%2FChrisMartincharacteristics.pn">

Are there any aspects of your game that you'd particularly like to improve?

Everything. Everyone needs to be looking to improve every single bit of their game, they need to work on their strengths to make them even better as well as weaknesses. I'd like to score more headed goals, I haven't done that particularly well this year and I could work on timingmy runs and attacking the ball. Tactically I could be a bit more aware at times, that's something the manager here has done very well for the team - we know our jobs down to a tee. You are always learning and should never stop.

With the season approaching its climax and Derby right in the mix at the top, do you believe the club is capable of automatic gaining promotion?

I think we're definitely capable, whether that happens is another story. We need to make sure we perform in the remaining games for that to happen, but the squad are definitely capable and we've shown that in our performances up until this point and hopefully we can achieve that.

What are your aspirations on a personal level for the next few years of your career?

To be successful. Every player wants to win something and that's my desire too. I want to win trophies, promotions and get into the Premier League again, and as a club we'd be delighted if that could happen with Derby County in the next few months.

Who is the best player you've played with, and who is the best you've come up against?

Wes Hoolahan at Norwich. Some of the things he can do are outrageous, he's a great playmaker and used to play in the hole behind the striker, and to play with him being you, you are on to a winner. As for against, John Terry. In terms of what he's achieved and how far he's gone it's got to be him. I've played against him a couple of times and he's certainly one of the better players I've come up against.

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/soyu_nz40e-afkkzgyhbea/Show/EXCLUSIVE-WhoScored-Interviews-Chris-Martin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure whether to go for Martin or Wisdom for POTY. Suppose with a long way to go it could still change. Although Wisdom is highly consistent I doubt he'll drop off. Martin I think has been through a tired slump and it didn't last long. I bet both will finish the season off very well.

Anyway, Martin.

Didn't expect so many goals from him. He's always been sort of a deep striker. Almost an extremely attacking and lazy midfielder. You know he's going to create goals and link things in the final 3rd. What you perhaps don't expect is him to be the end product so often. Or I didn't anyway. Stats say he's scored or assisted 20 of our goals but I'm sure more than that have involved him in the build up?

We do everything with him. He's allowed Bryson to express himself. Everyone seems to trust him and have a good understanding. Not like in the past where Theo was sort of sent on a mission. Savies was probably our best quality striker and Martin just has a bit more of everything. Bet he'd be hard to replace.

Interestingly, the interviewer steered clear of asking why he thought he'd been fouled nearly twice as much as the next nearest player in the Championship (incidentally, Will Hughes!).

Leads the line incredibly well and the system we play suits him perfectly, as he doesn't need pace - he protects the ball while everyone else just goes bombing on past him.

Glad the piece was a little thoughtful - for instance the comment about not scoring enough headed goals.

Love Chris Martin. Which is difficult as I *really* hate Coldplay...

no weaknesses? I would say pace was his weakness 

If he had lightning pace, then he probably wouldn't have developed into the "Son of John O'Hare" type of player he is.

In fairness to Martin, he's no slouch, he just doesn't bomb around aimlessly.

Over a couple of yards he usually gets to exactly where he needs to be and the style we play doesn't really require him to be pacey.

I thought he'd be good this season, he's exceeded my expectations though.

Probably Clough's best signing, along with Bryson.

Just like to say I told you so.

Last season during his loan spell I thought he was quality from day one but the majority of fans seemed to dislike him as a player. Yes he was a bit heavier than he is now but I could always see his hold up play and passing were second to none in the team.

For the people who were not happy when we signed him on a free to be our number 9, what was it that people doubted about Martin??

I mean he scored loads in Norwich's promotion. He just needed game time and that was clear to see.

Last season during his loan spell I thought he was quality from day one but the majority of fans seemed to dislike him as a player. Yes he was a bit heavier than he is now but I could always see his hold up play and passing were second to none in the team.

For the people who were not happy when we signed him on a free to be our number 9, what was it that people doubted about Martin??

I mean he scored loads in Norwich's promotion. He just needed game time and that was clear to see.

I thought he was cumbersome, really slow in the way he moved and in the way he did anything. He hadn't really proven himself in the Championship - his best season was 7 goals in 26 games at Palace. 

I thought it was a naff signing, however, as soon as he returned in the summer - especially pre-season, the change was evident! 

He had quality, he always had quality but now he's using it in positions where it can hurt people. Maybe, it's the management getting the best from him - where previous clubs have failed?

the article also rates us as the 2nd best team in the Championship , so far from over-achieving we are not quite where we should be.

I reckon all the games weve drawn we should have won (better team) , except for Blackburn at home, even that we could have won if Cloughie hadnt been so negative at the end.

Reminds me of Marco-------------and that's a compliment !

I said that when he first signed. Only difference Marco was very quick off the mark. On a totally unrelated front I've stayed in his B and B in York.

Ditto, I remember seeing him play against Birmingham away for the first time. Stood out like a sore thumb that he was of a better standard player to what we were used to up front, his ability to hold up play and vision to bring others into play as something I hadn't seen of that quality since Rasiak. Quality footballer for this level.

To be perfectly honest I don't think there was that many opposed to his signing. His quality on the ball was clear to see and he obviously knew where the net was. The only thing that people might have had a gripe with was that he was clearly out of shape.

Beyond that I think it's a total myth that there was anything more than around 5 people on here that didn't think it was a decent signing.

The fact that he has since gone on to become the most important player in the team is perhaps a bit of a surprise but not because he lacked talent, just that it was unclear as to whether he could really apply himself to fulfill his potential.

I might be wrong but I don't think you'll find many posts criticising him as a player or many posters that were opposed to his signing.

To be perfectly honest I don't think there was that many opposed to his signing. His quality on the ball was clear to see and he obviously knew where the net was. The only thing that people might have had a gripe with was that he was clearly out of shape.

Challenge accepted….

AnagRam: "Oh Lord - another non-scoring forward, this time with a chequered past.

We would kinda like Simeon Jackson who's a player who can't get into a first team and then we're offered the man whose place on the bench Jackson pinched!

Have we really stooped this low?"

Shabash: "I would say he isn't prolific enough. Good player but not going to give too much more than Sammon in terms of build up play."

DCFCFranco: "I'd rather have Jackson. He doesn't seem better than what we have now."

VulcanRam: "He was on loan at palace last season. Another non scoring striker, can't see what he would bring us"

StockholmRam: "Could be a rush of blood to the head signing this fella…" (Eddie edit: Coldplay pun so deserves inclusion)

gcdcfc28: "Really don't see how there can be five pages on this guy.

He isn't fookin coming."

midtableforever: "So we are going to replace one bench warmer to another. Good move. I thought we need a defender?"

DcFc Dyycheee: "1 goal in 11 starts in League 1.

So that's another striker who can't score goals, fantastic."

Then we signed him on loan. More later...

Challenge accepted….

AnagRam: "Oh Lord - another non-scoring forward, this time with a chequered past.

We would kinda like Simeon Jackson who's a player who can't get into a first team and then we're offered the man whose place on the bench Jackson pinched!

Shabash: "I would say he isn't prolific enough. Good player but not going to give too much more than Sammon in terms of build up play."

DCFCFranco: "I'd rather have Jackson. He doesn't seem better than what we have now."

VulcanRam: "He was on loan at palace last season. Another non scoring striker, can't see what he would bring us"

StockholmRam: "Could be a rush of blood to the head signing this fella…"

He isn't fookin coming."

midtableforever: "So we are going to replace one bench warmer to another. Good move. I thought we need a defender?"

I don't think I was overly impressed with him by how wrong I was. Cracking player so far this season and as some already mentioned he is reminds you of old Marco. 

It's good to have a striker who can mix it with the big CH's in this division 

Challenge accepted….

StockholmRam: "Could be a rush of blood to the head signing this fella…"

He isn't fookin coming."

Wonder how many you could dig up regarding Bucko..... Especially start of last season. You will probably find me on that list ;)

Got no problem with people changing opinion.

I've always like Martin, thought he had a touch of class at this level. Best striker we've had on the books since Rob Hulse.

Then after a few games...

Duffield Ram: "Not seen enough of him yet! Definately not as good as Steve Davies though!"

​And that was the only dissenting voice over his first loan spell (1 month) and everyone pretty well was delighted when he signed for the rest of the season. Then a couple of weeks later….

DCFCfranco: "can we not sign him, hes no improvement on what we already have."

VulcanRam: "Have to say, hasn't done enough for me so far. We can't have two non scoring strikers, and Sammon offers far more to the team."

Ambitious: "Sammon offers a lot more to the team, would even argue Sammons touch is better - Martin in the last couple games, has looked slow, unfit and slack."

emjlc02: "I don't think he is any better than what we already have. Sadly I think it's already a done deal."

​Then the voice of reason chipped in...

Cornwall Ram: "I can't beieve that you're all slagging of Chris Martin. Only weeks ago everyone was praising him. Anyone would think that people get criticised for their performances, rather than randomly chosen as a scapegoat."

Gerry Daly: "Very poor. Incredibly one paced. I agree it seems like a done deal but I would rather we didn't bother"

davenportram: "He was toss yesterday" (only noteworthy because he posted it 3 times in 3 successive matches - consistent is our davenport)

North_Stand_Ram: "Nope, not for me. I'm sorry but he was shocking today. Worst player on the pitch."

And so on.

​Basically in some cases the people with egg on their faces are the usual suspects - the people who tend to make snap judgements pretty well every time an opinion is expressed. People have a right to an opinion, but sometimes it's a little too premature with not enough 'wait and see'.

Quite funny - yet quite sad at the same time. 

Archived