Chris Martin interview

CumbrianRam

I think Ambitious wins for this gem:

Ambitious: "Sammon offers a lot more to the team, would even argue Sammons touch is better - Martin in the last couple games, has looked slow, unfit and slack.

Not wanting to pick on you! Just love that it highlights how things can turn out differently.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At that point it just became too silly for words...

Ambitious: "Sammon is twice, no.. three times the player that Martin is IMO. "

notts_ram: "Are we that hard up that we feel compelled to sign the first striker that we have on trial, surely Clough has other potential opportunities to progress, if not why not?"

Uptherams: "We rely on goals coming from midfielders and defenders too often. Martin is not the answer, not even close. Ball over Martin any day. So let's not bother with him. "

Anag Ram: " hope one of the other clubs get him. He's lazy, slow and adds nothing to the team."

​Then we signed him… and I leave the last word to notts_ram….

"That's bad news if its true. Clough thinks that he has shown enough over the past 2-3 months to warrant signing his permanently, he thinks - not he has shown enough but Clough thinks he has. And giving an example of his great link up play in one game against Milwall is hardly a glowing endorsement."

I have made some pretty stupid statements myself on this forum - nobody is immune.I was actually dreading what I would find in the Martin thread that I'd said, but luckily my input was restricted to puns and arguing with gcdcfc28.

I wasn't on the forums at that point, at the end of last season. So it shocks me to see that fans didn't rate Martin's performances last year. He showed much better ball control and strength than Sammon did. Sammon looked like a lost little boy at the end of last season and it was weird to see him lose the ball as often he did. Martin never really did. He didn't score goals, admittedly, but he was denied two legitimate goals for offsides when he was clearly onside both times remember?

I remember that he was saying that he was incredibly frustrated with the amount of loan spells he was going on and he wanted to settle somewhere. He kept  saying "Norwich have the option of another year but that's their choice whatever they want to do" but you could tell he really wanted to be free in the summer (as he was) to come to us and restart again, with his young family. You get the sense that our Chrissy likes it here at Derby, and his football is improving as a result. Sometimes you just need to put a little faith and belief in these players and they blossom all of a sudden.

Similar stories with players like Thorne, who was surprised to find that we were still interested in a loan after he had already rejected us for Watford, And Ward, who was cast out by Sheffield United but given the benefit of the doubt by Derby. Also Buxton, who despite his experience at this level has been trusted as first choice CB alongside Keogh. Arguably, even Bryson who apparently was on trial with us way back when under the management of the Dwarf but was not given a contract (don't remember this, but it's something I've heard. Would certainly explain why he gets fired up playing against Forest).

This team strikes me as a team full of players with plenty to prove...

I don't know, maybe I just over-romanticise these things... But hey, we just won and we're 2 points off 2nd so I can get carried away if I want to, okay?  :D

Then after a few games...

Duffield Ram: "Not seen enough of him yet! Definately not as good as Steve Davies though!"

​And that was the only dissenting voice over his first loan spell (1 month) and everyone pretty well was delighted when he signed for the rest of the season. Then a couple of weeks later….

DCFCfranco: "can we not sign him, hes no improvement on what we already have."

VulcanRam: "Have to say, hasn't done enough for me so far. We can't have two non scoring strikers, and Sammon offers far more to the team."

Ambitious: "Sammon offers a lot more to the team, would even argue Sammons touch is better - Martin in the last couple games, has looked slow, unfit and slack."

emjlc02: "I don't think he is any better than what we already have. Sadly I think it's already a done deal."

​Then the voice of reason chipped in...

Cornwall Ram: "I can't beieve that you're all slagging of Chris Martin. Only weeks ago everyone was praising him. Anyone would think that people get criticised for their performances, rather than randomly chosen as a scapegoat."

Gerry Daly: "Very poor. Incredibly one paced. I agree it seems like a done deal but I would rather we didn't bother"

davenportram: "He was toss yesterday" (only noteworthy because he posted it 3 times in 3 successive matches - consistent is our davenport)

North_Stand_Ram: "Nope, not for me. I'm sorry but he was shocking today. Worst player on the pitch."

And so on.

​Basically in some cases the people with egg on their faces are the usual suspects - the people who tend to make snap judgements pretty well every time an opinion is expressed. People have a right to an opinion, but sometimes it's a little too premature with not enough 'wait and see'.

Quite funny - yet quite sad at the same time. 

All well and good but anyone who's opinion actually matters? :ph34r:

JW_DCFC: Martin looks a proper player, if he works on his fitness in the summer he'll be a real asset for us next season. I reckon he is a 20 goal a season striker.

Where's the proof that you actually said that?

Where's the proof for ANY of these quotes for that matter?

Duracell: I personally think you're all wrong and he's going to be a massive player for us, and you're all going to look incredibly stupid when eddie digs up these posts next season after a fine run of form leading into mid-February.

Cor, I come out of this well.

Tombo: At precisely 14:39, February 19th 2014, Chris Martin will be on 14 league goals and 17 in all competitions, and I will mock you all for doubting him. Mark my words...

Oddly specific, but hey, who am I to argue with the cold hard evidence put in front of us?

Tombo: At precisely 14:39, February 19th 2014, Chris Martin will be on 14 league goals and 17 in all competitions, and I will mock you all for doubting him. Mark my words...

Oddly specific, but hey, who am I to argue with the cold hard evidence put in front of us?

In fairness, this needless frivolity has been sparked by eddie being a lazy-linker.

http://dcfcfans.co.uk/topic/10973-chris-martin/

It's all in there.

Uptherams: "We rely on goals coming from midfielders and defenders too often. Martin is not the answer, not even close. Ball over Martin any day. So let's not bother with him. "

Can you help me find when and where I made that comment. I'm in shock. 

Edit: Found it. 

JW_DCFC: Martin looks a proper player, if he works on his fitness in the summer he'll be a real asset for us next season. I reckon he is a 20 goal a season striker.

Star man. I really ought to go through and pull out the good ones - in truth, there were more good than bad. But there's Red Dogs to tease.

How can you guys even remember what someone's opinion was on a given topic a year ago? 

I can't even remember what my opinion was yesterday!

I can't even remember what I had for lunch today. Oh wait, it was a cheese and onion pasty from Greggs when I went to pick up my Burnley tickets.

Archived