Chris Martin interview

CumbrianRam

I only take back a little of what I said. At the time he was lazy, slow, barley could buy a goal and we were relying on goals coming from midfielders and defenders too often, he wasn't involved in the build up much either. If I remember we were also playing with two up top. His touch was awesome then, perhaps even better than it has been this season. He was on loan, overweight and not scoring. My calls for Ball at the time to be picked first weren't ridiculous. 

Something wasn't clicking. Well this season he is fit and the system we play suits him. I think Martin has been great this season, even at times when he has not been his best. His ability to win the ball in the air was good but I think he has improved massively this season. He also gets us the decisions that change a game. He wasn't doing that last season and I would put that down to fitness. He got fit and we changed our system. I think with Hughes, Bamford and Russell around him in the right positions he has the ability to contribute even more and do even better for us. 

''Martin is not the answer, not even close'' More perspective now, he is key but he wasn't the answer. The answer was playing more attacking and positive football which I knew we had in us, but we were far too cautious. We changed, allowed our players to play to their strengths and added great attacking additions. I would liken it to the Bryson situation. We all knew his strengths. I asked for a little more, a little extra and boy did he deliver. Who knew... no-one, not one single fan knew Bryson had that in him. Martin's was getting fit, getting involved more in build up play and a change in system. In Martin's case some fans did know. 

"We rely on goals coming from midfielders and defenders too often. Martin is not the answer, not even close. Ball over Martin any day. So let's not bother with him. "

I was thinking there is no way I said that this season. It was made in April. Eddie you made me question myself. I am not Ball's biggest fan, so Martin's performances at the time must have been quite shocking. The thread shows that. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived