Weaker foot.

TroyDyer

I have noticed it before with certain players, but was even more evident last night.

Bamford, Hughes and Dawkins are all one footed. Hughes and Bamford particularly.

It has caused problems in the past as the simple shot or quick pass goes begging, as they are trying to get the ball on their stronger foot.

As we come up against the better sides, they will suffer more. Will Joey Barton show Hughes on to his left foot? Will he heck.

Just thinking, may be worth a day a week of training, where these players can only use their weaker foot.

Just a thought.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is some study that says training the weaker foot has to be done quite early in a player's development, maybe at 13-15 years old or they'll never naturally overcome it as a weakness. Shearer worked on his left for years and still couldn't kick with it!!

This used to drive my dad mad 60 years ago! Even with the low wages then , he always thought if you were paid to play football, you should be able to use both feet!

+1 my old man used to say the same .Its true though if all you have to do all day is practice /train you should be good with both feet .

We've scored the most goals in the league.

I don't think it matters how we score or with what foot. We even scored against Joey Bartons QPR and Leicester.

We need to stay in the game against the big teams and then take a chance when we get one.

However I agree if we go on to another level weaker foot play is vital.

I noticed this as well last night. Even with simple passes, Hughes would adjust his body so he could use his left foot. To be honest, just before he laid the ball off to Bryson for the equaliser, I thought the chance had gone because of his insistence on getting it onto his left.

Wasn't it Bobby Charlton who would spend hours and hours just kicking the ball against a wall using nothing but his weaker foot? Maybe a bit of that might be in order at Moor Farm.

I have noticed it before with certain players, but was even more evident last night.

Bamford, Hughes and Dawkins are all one footed. Hughes and Bamford particularly.

It has caused problems in the past as the simple shot or quick pass goes begging, as they are trying to get the ball on their stronger foot.

As we come up against the better sides, they will suffer more. Will Joey Barton show Hughes on to his left foot? Will he heck.

Just thinking, may be worth a day a week of training, where these players can only use their weaker foot.

Just a thought.

I actually think will Hughes will go up to Joey Barton and say,have you met my bestie,Jake?

Problem solved!

I noticed this as well last night. Even with simple passes, Hughes would adjust his body so he could use his left foot. To be honest, just before he laid the ball off to Bryson for the equaliser, I thought the chance had gone because of his insistence on getting it onto his left.

Wasn't it Bobby Charlton who would spend hours and hours just kicking the ball against a wall using nothing but his weaker foot? Maybe a bit of that might be in order at Moor Farm.

I can remember a George Best interview where he was scathing about players being unable to use both feet. He said he realised at an early age he was weak with one foot and spent days kicking a football only with the weaker foot, and didn't have a shoe/boot on the stronger foot. He said his main weakness was heading, so he spent hours after training trying to jump higher and higher, when his team-mates went to the pub!!

We haven't got major culprits... but it's expected in the Championship.

However, when you look at the England team and see players like Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson who are two of the most one footed fullbacks I've ever seen... you have to wonder.

I can remember a George Best interview where he was scathing about players being unable to use both feet. He said he realised at an early age he was weak with one foot and spent days kicking a football only with the weaker foot, and didn't have a shoe/boot on the stronger foot. He said his main weakness was heading, so he spent hours after training trying to jump higher and higher, when his team-mates went to the pub!!

Ah, maybe it was Best then. Thought it was one of that lot.

We haven't got major culprits... but it's expected in the Championship.

However, when you look at the England team and see players like Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson who are two of the most one footed fullbacks I've ever seen... you have to wonder.

Glen Johnson, for all my hatred and conviction that I should have more England caps than him, is quite adept with his left foot, and has found the top corner from 30 yards out a couple of times with his left. Cole though, you're right. Gerrard is surprisingly one footed.

Just a thought.

Hughes and Bamford in particular. Don't be silly. Dawkins is because he literally can not do a thing with his left. 

That was George, a picture of sobriety.

I had a problem with my right knee when I was 16, and had the leg in a splint for weeks - which made 'riding a bike' interesting! ;)

Anyway I didn't play competitive football for a year, and was forced to start using my weaker (left) leg more.

Up until the injury, I always played on the RH side, but have played on the LH side ever since.

Really useful to be able to use either foot in 5-a-side games ...

Ah, maybe it was Best then. Thought it was one of that lot.

You were right with Bobby Charlton - it was he that used to kick a ball against a wall for hours but mainly to learn how to control the thing instantly when it came back to him, as well as learning how to kick the thing hard.

If you look on one of the DCFC Youtube videos you will see that Eric Steele uses something not too dissimilar with the goalkeepers. They have a sloping board in front of the goal that they throw the ball at to make it come off at different angles and improve their reactions.

Archived