Patrick Bamford: The best signing of the Janruary window

Uptherams

I think people are being too harsh. The best teams in the world have that one player who can pop up with a winner, and Bamford is our version of that player. I couldn't give a toss if he didn't touch the ball until scoring a 90th minute winner! It's the same for goalkeepers, do they need to run around and be involved? No, they don't, their job is to keep the ball out of the net.

So if Bamford doesn't tackle back, pick out a Hoddle pass, or sprint the length of the pitch, so f*cking what! As long as he scores a winner, which he was doing until the groaners piped up, he's fine by me, same as if Lee Grant does nothing until the 90th minute save to keep us in the points.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who are the best teams that have one player who does nothing but scores a 90th minute winner?

This is where I compared him to Ibrahimovic or Balotelli. They aren't players to work channels or do anything that's not going to work towards personal glory. But play the ball into them and they look after it. So long as you play it into them they show their quality.

They don't let you down for 89minutes.

RVP, another poacher, looks after the ball quite well.

I was never criticising Martin's work rate. Because he shows quality when you play to his strengths.

What's Bamford's strengths? Shooting? Not enough. Breaks down too many attacks. Needs the perfect circumstance. We're not Bamford FC.

Even Van Nistlerooy could hold possession

I think people are being too harsh. The best teams in the world have that one player who can pop up with a winner, and Bamford is our version of that player. I couldn't give a toss if he didn't touch the ball until scoring a 90th minute winner! It's the same for goalkeepers, do they need to run around and be involved? No, they don't, their job is to keep the ball out of the net.

So if Bamford doesn't tackle back, pick out a Hoddle pass, or sprint the length of the pitch, so f*cking what! As long as he scores a winner, which he was doing until the groaners piped up, he's fine by me, same as if Lee Grant does nothing until the 90th minute save to keep us in the points.

It's not just about Hoddle passes though, he struggles with simple passes, he gets caught on his heels far too often and he gives away the ball a lot.  If we were a solid defensive team, that maybe don't create much then you could make allowances and accommodate someone like that.  Our gameplan is to retain possession in midfield, move the opposition around, then spring with quick wingers to create chances.  If you have Bamford struggling with retaining possession and not offering a pacy threat down his side of the field, then our gameplan doesn't work - we become one-dimensional (down the left every time), we struggle to get our creative players on the ball in advanced areas (because the front line isn't retaining possession) and our defense gets exposed.  We could change our gameplan to fit him in, but that's crazy talk at this stage of a season like the one we're having.

I wrote something based on the opinions of people on here, but I didn't quite divulge my own thoughts.

I think he is an impact player, and for now, that's what he should be used as.

I just wrote a piece on it, but Russell, Ward and Martin have a 1.8 goal-per-game average (in terms of team goals) Dawkins has 1.7 and Bamford is wayyyyyyyy behind with a 1.2 average.

I think we should give Ward, Russell and Martin the run out tomorrow. Dawkins and Bammy on the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

Credit where it's due. Best performance for us?

To begin with I thought it was going to be the same old. Too casual and idle

In the end though thought he was very good. Switched on and showed some aggression instead of an extra helping of confidence.

Well played sir

Defiantly had his nest game for us. He even went over an applauded the forest fans at the end

And to their eternal credit, they returned the courtesy to him.

However, moments later the Forest players went over and were met by a flurry of two-fingered salutes. Beautiful.

Archived