Patrick Bamford: The best signing of the Janruary window

Uptherams

What you guys think?

He's a kid with a real talent - but he's not the finished article (and may never be).

I know - let's write him off because he's not Rooney or Messi or Clarke or Hector or Greaves or Clough or Lofthouse or Bloomer. It's what Derby fans are good at. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Square peg in a round hole.

He should be played centrally as a second striker.

If he can pick up the ball in and around the box - within striking range - we will score goals.

He is not a wide player.

He doesn't have the pace or the trickery to be effective.

a classic case of being played out of position.

He's a kid with a real talent - but he's not the finished article (and may never be).

I know - let's write him off because he's not Rooney or Messi or Clarke or Hector or Greaves or Clough or Lofthouse or Bloomer. It's what Derby fans are good at.

For Gods sake man, let people have their opinions on a player without posting something condescending or sarcastic.

I've not read anyone saying he is sh1te or anything, just that he is not suited to the role he is playing. What is wrong with that.

The guy is an excellent striker but pretty much wasted out wide. He doesn't like defending (I refer you to Millwall's goal on Saturday).

If people can't discuss this sort of thing on a forum what is the point of having one?!

For his age, he's different class. I don't think there are many kids at his age with the number of league goals he's got. His goals per game ratio at this age would suggest he's going to go on to be something REALLY special once he adjusts and if he keeps learning. Some of the goals he's got already, show that the lads got a real touch of class about him.

He's got 23 goals from 39 starts, even with the 10 sub appearances, it's still pretty much a one in two ratio. At his age, that's spectacular. He's different class to anyone else around him.

Having said that, I personally think Bamford coming in has upset our balance.

There was nowt wrong with our front 6, as far as I know we were banging in goals left right and centre. We didn't need him.

Ward, Russell, Bennett, Sammon.

They should all be starting ahead of him. I don't like developing players for other clubs. I think we were doing just fine developing our own lads and I can't believe OUR players with the work ethic THEY'VE got, will stand for Patrick's nonchalance much longer.

No matter how good a goal scorer he is.

Ward over him, every day of the week for me.

For Gods sake man, let people have their opinions on a player without posting something condescending or sarcastic.

I've not read anyone saying he is sh1te or anything, just that he is not suited to the role he is playing. What is wrong with that.

The guy is an excellent striker but pretty much wasted out wide. He doesn't like defending (I refer you to Millwall's goal on Saturday).

If people can't discuss this sort of thing on a forum what is the point of having one?!

I firmly believe that my opinion is as valid as everybody else - and I am not suggesting for a minute that Derby fans have already written Bamford off - just give it time and it will surely happen. After all, in the last 18 months alone people wrote Martin, Buxton, Grant, Keogh, Ward, Hendrick, Freeman and Forsyth off in turn.

Perhaps I notice and remember these things because I'm a psychopath or a f**king c**t. 

He is a kid with obvious talent in front of goals who is developing late. He is a boy learning the game and still has a fairly long way to go. Personal opinion is that at the moment I don't think he has much chance of breaking into a talented Chelsea team. Now playing for a team coming up from the Championship into the Premier League and if he listens and learns he could have a role.

For his age, he's different class. I don't think there are many kids at his age with the number of league goals he's got. His goals per game ratio at this age would suggest he's going to go on to be something REALLY special once he adjusts and if he keeps learning. Some of the goals he's got already, show that the lads got a real touch of class about him.

Or he's going to end up like Jermaine Defoe, who had a similar scoring record at his age, but has wasted his career on the bench because he never contributes enough to be worth starting a game.

I firmly believe that my opinion is as valid as everybody else - and I am not suggesting for a minute that Derby fans have already written Bamford off - just give it time and it will surely happen. After all, in the last 18 months alone people wrote Martin, Buxton, Grant, Keogh, Ward, Hendrick, Freeman and Forsyth off in turn.

Perhaps I notice and remember these things because I'm a psychopath or a f**king c**t. 

Or maybe just because you're very argumentative and pick a fight even when there is no need?

Maybe because from totally out of the blue you throw cheap nasty insults.

Do you expect people to not respond when you write those posts? Do you think you can bully people with those stupid little digs?

I'm allowed to have my views without some over aggressive pensioner trying to pick a fight every time I write something,

I was always taught to respect my elders but I was also taught to stand on my own two feet. Your behaviour is not on.

Bananas.

What is your obsession with this phrase 'writing off'?

Just because some people think he his not playing well, is out of position or not playing well does that really translate into them saying he won't have a career as a footballer?

Do you seriously think he is a good winger? How many times has he beaten his man? How many crosses does he put in? How many assists does he have? They are the things I look for in a winger.

On top of this how does his work rate compare with our other wingers? Does he tackle, does he track back? Is it any coincidence that Wisdom barely crosses the halfway line anymore?

These are all negatives that he brings with him in my opinion.

The one positive? He looks a brilliant natural goal scorer, so why not play him where he can do this more often?

I agree with another poster that his inclusion at right wing in the team has completely upset the balance.

Does any of the above mean I have 'written him off'? NO

He doesn't seem to know what to do unless he's going to shoot, seems to hold onto it just a little bit too long and then loses sense of intelligence as well as the ball.

Maybe it's arrogance? Remember that kid when ya played football, always held onto it for too long and then lost it, but would turn around and say "what" when ya criticised him. Then do it again.

Ya can see him growing more and more frustrated during games.

What you guys think?

Up front or on the bench for me at the moment. I think he has a way to go but he has the knack of scoring already. Not a bad habit to have for one so young.

That said, I don't think his inclusion from the start is helping at the moment. He isn't a wide right player for the modern game in my view and we are short of ideas from that side. So, we become predictable. Just like seasons before when we were strong on the right [brayford anyone?] but less so on the left.

I wonder whether Chelsea can insist that he plays?

I wonder whether Chelsea can insist that he plays?

I'd guess they could put pressure on for him to play, or maybe even make it a stipulation of the loan agreement (not entirely sure how these things work).

Also, it's in the club's interest to give him a fair amount of game time as it means bigger clubs are willing to loan us their players. If we keep having situations like we did with Michael Keane where he felt he wasn't getting on the pitch enough, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd et al would be more hesitant to send us their players.

I would prefer us to be improving our own players, but I can see why it's a difficult balancing act for McClaren.

I'd guess they could put pressure on for him to play, or maybe even make it a stipulation of the loan agreement (not entirely sure how these things work).

Also, it's in the club's interest to give him a fair amount of game time as it means bigger clubs are willing to loan us their players. If we keep having situations like we did with Michael Keane where he felt he wasn't getting on the pitch enough, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd et al would be more hesitant to send us their players.

I would prefer us to be improving our own players, but I can see why it's a difficult balancing act for McClaren.

I agree with that. I was just wondering why Steve picked that particular team on Saturday and wondered whether any external pressures are upon him.

I agree with that. I was just wondering why Steve picked that particular team on Saturday and wondered whether any external pressures are upon him.

The obvious logic is we are missing Martin, we don't have a like-for-like replacement, so we'll replace his physicality with Sammon and his goal-scoring with Bamford.

The obvious logic is we are missing Martin, we don't have a like-for-like replacement, so we'll replace his physicality with Sammon and his goal-scoring with Bamford.

In theory a front 4 with Bamford playing off Sammon's excellent hold up play, and maybe Dawkins and Ward on the wings should be brilliant in place of Martin (four players replacing one, hmm). Although it means you have to drop the defensive mid, but we ought to score a boat load of goals with that set up.

But theories are all well and good. Does it work in practice?

I agree but with no Ward or Russell, I couldn't quite get it. Anyway, here's hoping Saturday was a one off.

He is being played out of position. He is also a second striker. One thing I am certain of is that he will gain muscles mass and become fitter over the next 2-3 years. Someone with his talent being that little bit stronger and fitter has got a great future. If we can have him for £1m -£2m I would take him. Where would we be without Bamford's goals...not in the top 6. 

Archived