Will Hughes

valleyram

Wifred Zaha went to Man U to be the next big thing.... now he is about to go out on loan to get games as he never plays. Will you all moan if he comes to Derby on loan this month and replaces say Jamie Ward.

Will Hughes is a young player learning his trade, he does sometimes just jog around the pitch following the game, but it just takes one bit of brilliance and you will say how wonderful he is. Just look how you all slated Bucko, now he is the best defender in the Championship!!!! 

Cut the lad some slack.. he gets enough stick on Twitter from the red dogs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched it back twice and the frustration is still there. In my opinion we were set up not to take a hammering, don't think we ever really believed we were good enough to test them.

Will suffered slightly as a result of that, when we went for it with 15 to go there were some lovely little glimpses of what Will Highes brings.

Those who doubt his ability, it's difficult to say what I think of those views without using an insulting type of phrase, so I won't cause a divide by throwing out a cheap cliche, I'll just say wait and see.

He will go to the very top of the tree.

He's better than you're giving him credit for and it's tough for me to see how people can't recognise we've got a  very special talent STILL, tired or not.

of course we know he's better that he played, that's why he's subject to criticism. When a player is performing to 10/10, to the limit of his ability, people will not criticise him, this is why many defend Connor Sammon, as he is stretching his ability. Will Hughes could've knocked a couple of million off his price-tag yesterday with his 5/10 display.

It's not knocking ability, nobody is calling him rubbish. But how long before people say his standard performance is average, and that it's only a rarity he plays well?

Hughes has been massively overshadowed in the last few months by the likes of Bryson, Martin, Wisdom, Russell and Dawkins. His contributions have dwindled as others have improved, I might even argue he's regressed since Nigel Clough left. Some people think he's carrying an injury, others think his head has been turned and commitment affected by the Liverpool rumours.

It's no good being the a brilliant footballer when you only show it in your own back garden.

He needs to raise his game before he ends up another Stewart Downing.

FFS.

He is just 18.

what's your point? That he's exempt from fair judgement? Rubbish!

If he's good enough, he's old (or young) enough. He's learning the game, but if you're using age as an excuse, then perhaps that's an admission he's not as good as some here try and convince is he is!

Many on here suggested he's ready for the World Cup squad a few months back.... I wonder if they were serious.

Where does he compare with Ross Barkley for example?

When SM came in he said he was amazed at the amount of game time one so young had been given.During his tenure to date little has changed,although this may well have been a product of the lack of alternatives due to injuries.I'll judge Hughes when he's been allowed to rest and his game time has become more commensurate with his age, in what is a physically demanding league.

I think some are expecting too much too soon.

A) I don't think I'm being argumentative to point out that a team that trains together day-in day-out should be better at anticipating a team-mates moves and passes than a team that gets together every 3 months! Your u21 comment makes no sense to me.

B) Remind me how much Rodgers has paid for Hughes? Oh, hang on... that's right, he hasn't paid anything yet, so it's actually your comment about Rodgers that is 'stupid' and largely pointless.

True he hasn't signed him but you would have to deaf, dumb & blind not to have realised that Rogers rates Will very highly and I consider his ability to spot talent way above yours!

You missing my point about Wills' U21 performances doesn't surprise me one iota and to think that by training each day 'average' players will get to read someone like Hughes over time is just naivety in the extreme

He desperately needs a rest or for something to change, one of the most impressive things about him last season, was that mentally he was one or more steps ahead of the rest of the players on the pitch

He seems to have been bogged down in championship football, and he would benefit from a break and come back as something of a breath of fresh air

I think that those who are saying he doesn't have the ability are forgetting how he made teams look silly last year, that ability doesn't just go away, it's just about his mental state of mind at the minute

I am of the opinion that he would really benefit from a move to a higher level, where he doesn't have the weight of expectation and can feed off better players around him

what's your point? That he's exempt from fair judgement? Rubbish!

If he's good enough, he's old (or young) enough. He's learning the game, but if you're using age as an excuse, then perhaps that's an admission he's not as good as some here try and convince is he is!

Many on here suggested he's ready for the World Cup squad a few months back.... I wonder if they were serious.

Where does he compare with Ross Barkley for example?

I'm not familiar enough with Barkley but I'll compare him to C. Ronaldo, player who is amongst the best players in the world (if not best). He had lots and lots of potential and even Ferguson didn't get it out him until his last 3 season with ManU. It took 3 years to make him world class player who he became very, very young. He was 21 before breaking through.

And yes, you can judge players but age should be noticed too. But you can't expect 18 year old to keep his level about 60 games per season or count 34 year old to play every minute.

True he hasn't signed him but you would have to deaf, dumb & blind not to have realised that Rogers rates Will very highly and I consider his ability to spot talent way above yours!

You missing my point about Wills' U21 performances doesn't surprise me one iota and to think that by training each day 'average' players will get to read someone like Hughes over time is just naivety in the extreme

Deaf, dumb and blind to not make up valuations based on a manager of another club saying that a player is good? What the hell are you babbling on about. You're saying he's worth more than £3m cos of something to do with Rodgers! I say you're talking ***** cos Rodgers has NOT bid, paid for or mentioned a cash valuation for Hughes, so any price is in YOUR head, not Rodgers so do not use Rodgers to back up your nonsense! Unless you can provide a quote where he says Hughes is worth x amount!

As for the U21s, your point was not missed, you're suggesting Hughes U21 team-mates have a better anticipation of what he's going to do than his Derby County team-mates.

Deaf, dumb and blind to not make up valuations based on a manager of another club saying that a player is good? What the hell are you babbling on about. You're saying he's worth more than £3m cos of something to do with Rodgers! I say you're talking ***** cos Rodgers has NOT bid, paid for or mentioned a cash valuation for Hughes, so any price is in YOUR head, not Rodgers so do not use Rodgers to back up your nonsense! Unless you can provide a quote where he says Hughes is worth x amount!

As for the U21s, your point was not missed, you're suggesting Hughes U21 team-mates have a better anticipation of what he's going to do than his Derby County team-mates.

Last paragraph is probably true.

I guess he is still carrying his  'growth' groin/pelvic problem.

I couldn't disagree more. Yesterday if anything showed just how far away from that (top 4) level Hughes actually is. He couldn't compete with the physical nature of Mikel and Essien, and was nowhere near as influential as the creative and motivated Oscar, Willian and Hazard.

Hughes was arguably our worst player yesterday, maybe Ward struggled more, but Hughes was totally anonymous.

Je$u$ Christ, Will Hughes couldnt compete with Mikel or Essien? What planet are you on? He's 18, he's got all the attributes he needs at the minute, he isn't the type of player to boss a midfield, as he matures he will get stronger, thats why we have Eustace, Cisse, to do all the dirty side for him, simply win the ball and give it to Hughes so he can play his game. Oscar (22), Willian (25), Hazard (22, 23 tomoz). At 19 Hazard had played 71 first team games, Willian not even 20 games and Oscar again not even 20. Hughes isn't 19 until April and he's already played 61 games and by the end of the season could have played another 20 odd. You cannot judge him alongside these type of players, not yet anyhow. give him 3 or 4 years and then look where he is. Some people really do not have a clue.

Can I just say that working with a SWFC fan who talked about Ross Barkley, the consensus amongst Wednesday was that he was excellent, just that SWFC were **** and didn't know what he was capable of i.e. they couldn't see the clinical passes that RB could.  That does not make him a bad player

Can I just say that working with a SWFC fan who talked about Ross Barkley, the consensus amongst Wednesday was that he was excellent, just that SWFC were **** and didn't know what he was capable of i.e. they couldn't see the clinical passes that RB could.  That does not make him a bad player

Reminds me slightly of Bueno, some of the balls in behind that he played were incredible and just because the players he was playing with didn't make the right runs people were complaining that he had played the wrong ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived