Captains

davenportram

How many captains have we got in our squad?

Barker

Keogh

When Keogh got injured we briefly talked about possible stand ins

Bryson

Eustace

Grant

But Sir Captain Buxton got the gig.

I'll admit that when Bucko signed if someone told me he would captain the team I would have laughed in their face.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit that when Bucko signed if someone told me he would captain the team I would have laughed in their face.

He's a leader of men.

That you doubted him will not have gone unnoticed with the great one. Don't be expecting him to talk to you in the pub again...

That's what makes this squad special , loads of captains and no drama queens , Bryson got the gig against Ipswich and mite have been expecting it when Keogh got injured again , however bucks got the armband and deservedly so and the rest just get on with their jobs , in this day and age it's a pleasure to see it and if every player is still their at the end of January which I doubt we will win this league

I have never understood all this bother about who is captain or not, I was captain for some teams I played for, not at others but I played the same, was still vocal etc, it's just someone who goes up for the coin toss really. If your a leader you lead

The captain is the one other players turn too when they are having an off day. They put that arm round the shoulder and pick players up.

They also dish out the bollockings on the field when needed too.

The captain has to be the one that us consistent, steady, every minute of every game.

I'm sorry the players need to turn to someone when they are having an off day? They aren't children, I struggle to believe they could make it as a professional football by having to take the lead off a captain. The ex pros I know would cringe at you saying that. Yes you need a few who can give someone a kick up the backside but they don't all take the lead of the player who gets to wear the arm band.

Also what do the all the coaches do if the captain does all that. Do the Spain players look to cazillas? Man U to there how ever many captains?

I'm sorry the players need to turn to someone when they are having an off day? They aren't children, I struggle to believe they could make it as a professional football by having to take the lead off a captain. The ex pros I know would cringe at you saying that. Yes you need a few who can give someone a kick up the backside but they don't all take the lead of the player who gets to wear the arm band.

Also what do the all the coaches do if the captain does all that. Do the Spain players look to cazillas? Man U to there how ever many captains?

The ex-pros probably wouldn't admit to it.

the role of captain is important during the game and is more than just tossing a coin.

I must admit that I was quite surprised that Buxton got it over Bryson when Keogh went down, Bryson certainly led by example against Ipswich (2nd half) so it was an interesting decision by McClaren that has worked out well so far. Bryson certainly seems a very level headed lad to not let it affect him (perhaps he didn't want it?) and it doesn't seem to have affected his performance.

with Brysons energy and work ethic together with the quality he's shown i thought he'd be the obvious choice, Bucko since Macs arrivaval i think has been immense, his passing has been brilliant and his defending has improved forefold......he bleeds sweat and tears for Derby, glad he got the armband, lead us too the promised land Jake...

you're usually spot on with most comments but not this one. Players are human, and nature ensures that confidence levels, temper, concentration, and many other things fluctuate during a game. The captain should be the one with the most mental strength to not 'suffer' peaks and troughs.

Ask the old players if having Dave Mackay as captain helped!

I saw Jake in Waterstones once, looking at a book called 'What Captains Do'.

I noticed he didn't read it, he just stared it down till he got the information he wanted.

I saw Jake in Waterstones once, looking at a book called 'What Captains Do'.

I noticed he didn't read it, he just stared it down till he got the information he wanted.

He wrote it.

Archived