Captains

davenportram

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with emjlc02 here. The armband is mainly a gimmick in football, little more than a seal of approval from managers.

I'm with Mostyn.

You never saw Dave Mackay.

I'm with Mostyn.

You never saw Dave Mackay.

I didn't - but I assume Dave Mackay didn't need a band around his arm to be the leader he was. He was the leader because he was Dave Mackay, surely?

Perhaps the armband makes these things official but as emj said, leaders are leaders.

And it's nice for leaders to be recognised though?

For Jake who's tried his absolute best to go that bit further, who wasn't sure if his place in the team was safe - he really must be chuffed that SM has the confidence in him.

And it's nice for leaders to be recognised though?

For Jake who's tried his absolute best to go that bit further, who wasn't sure if his place in the team was safe - he really must be chuffed that SM has the confidence in him.

That's it, it's recognition as much as anything.

Think too much is made sometimes about who is captain and who isn't in football - other than leading the players out on the pitch and going up to toss the coin, it's symbolic - and you could argue that the first two things aren't that significant anyway. In Rugby, it's a position with quite a bit of responsibility.

Jake's the same Jake he's always been and his role won't have changed a jot. It's a brownie point.

For me, being Captain can be a burden - extra pressure to deal with - not suited to just any player. You have to have certain qualities. It's not all about who can shout the loudest.

I would prefer the role to have more significance.

I love football but there's a lot to be learned from rugby, the sport loses loads of fans to the egg chasing over that sort of thing.

Sad day when Martin Johnson finished as Captain...

Dave mackay impersonator. It was the auto spell

Never mind.....Jonathan Wilson wrote a 568 page biography of Brian Clough, and referred to him as Dave McKay throughout.

Thus having absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Today, Bucko was magnificent.

He completely played off the park a player who, a few years ago, was voted the third best player in the world, and after Mourinho finally asked Jake to let him out of his pocket so that he could replace him with a player who cost twice what our entire first team squad is supposed to be worth, Torres was treated with exactly the same contempt.

Four years ago, there were people saying that he wasn't good enough for league football. 

Last year, there were people saying that he wasn't good enough for a top half championship team.

Earlier this season, there were people saying that he wasn't good enough for a promotion-chasing team.

Take a bow, Jake Buxton - quality footballer and inspirational on-field captain.

Jake is what football is supposed to be.

He isn't a professional footballer, anyone who (or who's Mam and Dad) dedicates enough time and effort can be one of those... He's a pure role model, which I think is better.

I hope he doesn't find anything what fans say about him patronising, he's brill and a breath of fresh air to top level football.

Archived