Steve McClaren

Day

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a bit of a conclusion you've jumped to!!!  :angry:   Although you're right of course... ;)

I've heard people talk about the new flowing attacking football.  Had we not already seen that?

People say the results speak for themselves.  Well pre-season I predicted the result for each match - when NC was sacked we were -1 point off my prediction; we're currently -2 off it.  I think our fixture list has had far more bearing on the results than the change of managers.

I'm not trying to say SM isn't doing a good job, or even that we should have kept NC, I just can't quite connect the dots to some revolution that some seem to be feeling.  I think we're just carrying on pretty much as we were - my point is - I think that's good as I thought we were going all right to begin with.

It's still a little bit early to say, but the first sign of change I can see is it looks like we may have finally got back to defending crosses in the last couple of games.

Now that is filling me with confidence for the rest of the season ahead!  :)

Well Martyn, I think the returning fans are the best indicator of the change, along with the better, more intelligent tactics on the pitch. SM and co are a different class of management and coach to what we had before and there is no way we are carrying on as we were. Many people were sick and tired of NC and his management - he was killing the club with his predictable dullard ways, rooted in a managerial style that belonged to the 1970's, and his sacking was the best thing that has happened to DCFC for years. Since his departure there is a whole new feeling of optimism at the club, far beyond the 'new manager bounce', and I for one have completely rediscovered my Rams mojo. I trust SM and co to make the right decisions and get this club back into contention; I never had that feeling under NC.

We're a very fit side, can see how some construe then as trying! I think there's genuine abilities in all the areas it's needed.

Bryson obviously runs his arse off, but for me has quality as well.

True, they all have individual qualities... I just love how they were put together on hard work and are now improving, almost as if it's paying off or becoming easier for them?

I feel after 5 years in charge Clough wasn't up to it tactically. Did we ever have a solid defence ever under Clough? Yes, sometimes it was due to a lack of quality but the amount of goals from set pieces and crosses were beyond a joke. Clough, great at finding talent, developing young players and free flowing football, but his formations and tactics were poor under Clough.

Would you say we're still a team of tryers? Or have we gone past that now?

Regularly win possession battles

Top scorers in the league

Goals from numerous players

Tbh I'd be very suprised if McClaren hasn't booked a open top bus for late May.

How many times will he manage us against Forest this season? That Alpha my good friend, is the question everybody should be asking!

I vote once as we'll finish runners up.

Can you imagine beating them in the PO final?

Can you imagine losing!?

But can you imagine winning?!?

But if we lost!

But, but if we won!!

'And next we have Natalie Jackson's full interview with Billy Davies following his sides victory at Wembley over fierce Midlands rivals Derby'

'So Billy how do you feel now that your managing Nottingham Forest in the Premier League and beating Derby of all teams to get there!!?'

'Well Natalie...'

I'd rather have Mac's brolly shoved up my exit and have Red Dawn open it.

Can you imagine losing!?

But if we lost!

But, but if we won!!

'And next we have Natalie Jackson's full interview with Billy Davies following his sides victory at Wembley over fierce Midlands rivals Derby'

'So Billy how do you feel now that your managing Nottingham Forest in the Premier League and beating Derby of all teams to get there!!?'

'Well Natalie...'

I can't sit through any interview with the odious little gobsh1te but the ones with Jackson are particularly annoying due to the fact you suspect that as soon as the cameras have stopped rolling her considerable nostrils will be sniffing his pubes :wacko:

Can you imagine losing!?

But if we lost!

But, but if we won!!

'Well Natalie...'

"Well Natalie... I can only wish it was Preston"

• 10 points behind
  • Top scorers in the league
  • Defence sorting themselves out after a shaky start
  • Good backing from the fans
  • Fear no foe

Not impossible....  :lol:

26th Nov. 2011 -

Reading - 13th Place - 24pts from 18 games.

Southampton - 1st Place 39pts. from 18 games

Reading finished top on 89 points that season.

It takes a hell of a run, but shows what can be done.

Are we even that much worse than Reading in 2011? I'm not convinced. I don't think that Reading side was anything special.

Thing is with this league, is that you can get a very long way with just a bit of jolly luck. I'm not saying that's all that was to it for Reading, but they had more of the stuff than anyone else that season.

The point is, no prediction is stupid in this league, unless it's mathematically impossible. Or, maybe every prediction is equally stupid in such an unpredictable league.

As for a promotion bid, then yes, our new manager and the management team will play a very big part. They have that little bit of belief to try for the three points, all the time, home and away. Every now and again, that's going to get us another 2 points over our rivals.

But my point is, we still need a lot of luck, event to break into the top 6 and go up that way. Forget January - even with the squad we have now, we're good enough, but a decent Jan would still be nice. But teams in our position before have won the league by just winning one week, then repeating it again the next week, and then the next, with a huge slice of luck helping them do it.

We had that luck in 2007, when we completely and utterly fluked three games in a row in the play-offs. If those were Serie B playoff matches we'd probably have got done for match fixing, so suspicious were those matches. Leon Best's own goal really took the biscuit.

2005, we didn't have that luck. If every goal that his the woodwork went in we would have gone up as Champions.

That's why I think these sort of discussions are meaningless in the end. Pure football rarely decides it.

Too right Duracell, really dodgy time that and I know this sounds even dodgier but...

Around that time the chinese down the road's son came over to see family and that, right flash div, had his skyline shipped over... anyway in the pub one night I got talking to him, "you stoke fan yes?" he asked "no mate, Derby"..."noooo I make lots of money on Derby you see" next minute he whipped this chart out with us on it (amongst others) and it was just madness what he was putting on us, on the most strangest things aswell and he gambles as a full time job back home.

Bloody hell, what have I said.

Around that time the chinese down the road's son came over to see family and that, right flash div, had his skyline shipped over... anyway in the pub one night I got talking to him, "you stoke fan yes?" he asked "no mate, Derby"..."noooo I make lots of money on Derby you see" next minute he whipped this chart out with us on it (amongst others) and it was just madness what he was putting on us, on the most strangest things aswell and he gambles as a full time job back home.

Hey!  Was that you?!  Wow, what a small world!

Well Martyn, I think the returning fans are the best indicator of the change, along with the better, more intelligent tactics on the pitch. SM and co are a different class of management and coach to what we had before and there is no way we are carrying on as we were. Many people were sick and tired of NC and his management - he was killing the club with his predictable dullard ways, rooted in a managerial style that belonged to the 1970's, and his sacking was the best thing that has happened to DCFC for years. Since his departure there is a whole new feeling of optimism at the club, far beyond the 'new manager bounce', and I for one have completely rediscovered my Rams mojo. I trust SM and co to make the right decisions and get this club back into contention; I never had that feeling under NC.

I don't think he was killing the club, and there is nothing wrong with predictable, and I would go as far to say that he did a job that Steve would probably have failed at in stabilising the club.

He couldn't take us to the next level, but I don't think anyone should under estimate what he achieved in his time at derby, and should we go up this or next season he should quite rightly take some of the credit.

I wasn't a fan of his, but could see the good he did at the club during his time, yes it became stale, yes there is a better chance of getting into the play offs now, but I thank him for the job he did in getting us where we are now.

I don't think he was killing the club, and there is nothing wrong with predictable, and I would go as far to say that he did a job that Steve would probably have failed at in stabilising the club.

He couldn't take us to the next level, but I don't think anyone should under estimate what he achieved in his time at derby, and should we go up this or next season he should quite rightly take some of the credit.

I wasn't a fan of his, but could see the good he did at the club during his time, yes it became stale, yes there is a better chance of getting into the play offs now, but I thank him for the job he did in getting us where we are now.

Agree entirely with what you say, my enthusiasm for derby was being killed though.

Clough stabilised the club, and improved slightly each year. Can't grumble too much about that!

Think it was just time for a change, after five years everyone is in habits. Players, coaching staff, supporters alike. It needed something new to spark something.

Archived