watches....to dream on for

froggg

I recently had my 1960's Omega Constellation reconditioned by a couple of skilled and dedicated enthusiasts who trade by the name of 'The Watch Guy' They take great pride in their work and are (I think) very reasonable.

However, a cloud has appeared on their (and similar minded) watch repairers horizon in the shape of the SWATCH group. Basically, restrictive practise. If you are an enthusiast of the watch makers art, then please read this email that I received this morning, and perhaps act appropriately.

"Dear Customers,
Firstly, please accept our apologies for sending you this email unsolicited. As you are one of our customers, we would like to ask you to participate in a little survey regarding the differences between approved watch service centres and the free watch repair trade.
As you know, the Swatch Group will not supply spare parts starting 1/1/2016, which means that we won't be able to source parts for your Omegas, Longines, or anything else Swatch Group, including all watches with an ETA movement. This is 72% of all Swiss Watches, but the other 28% are already not selling to the free trade, such as Rolex, PP, AP, ...
We have put together a little survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches and would be very grateful if you could take 5 minutes of your time to fill it in. Also, if you know any other watch enthusiasts, please pass the URL along and spread the word. We would like to get over 1000 surveys filled in to make this meaningful.
We will use the data to get on to CEAHR to support their efforts to open up the spare parts trade, and will also give the results to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry. We feel that it should be the customers that decide where they service their watches, and not the companies that sell the watches.
Also, if you have some additional time, please contact the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry at http://www.fhs.ch/eng/contact.html and let them know how you feel and what you would like as a customer.
Thank you very much for your help; it's greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Christian & Mitka

--
WatchGuy
Watch Repair & Service
"

Edited by Phoenix

I recently had my 1960's Omega Constellation reconditioned by a couple of skilled and dedicated enthusiasts who trade by the name of 'The Watch Guy' They take great pride in their work and are (I think) very reasonable.

However, a cloud has appeared on their (and similar minded) watch repairers horizon in the shape of the SWATCH group. Basically, restrictive practise. If you are an enthusiast of the watch makers art, then please read this email that I received this morning, and perhaps act appropriately.

"Dear Customers,
Firstly, please accept our apologies for sending you this email unsolicited. As you are one of our customers, we would like to ask you to participate in a little survey regarding the differences between approved watch service centres and the free watch repair trade.
As you know, the Swatch Group will not supply spare parts starting 1/1/2016, which means that we won't be able to source parts for your Omegas, Longines, or anything else Swatch Group, including all watches with an ETA movement. This is 72% of all Swiss Watches, but the other 28% are already not selling to the free trade, such as Rolex, PP, AP, ...
We have put together a little survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches and would be very grateful if you could take 5 minutes of your time to fill it in. Also, if you know any other watch enthusiasts, please pass the URL along and spread the word. We would like to get over 1000 surveys filled in to make this meaningful.
We will use the data to get on to CEAHR to support their efforts to open up the spare parts trade, and will also give the results to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry. We feel that it should be the customers that decide where they service their watches, and not the companies that sell the watches.
Also, if you have some additional time, please contact the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry at http://www.fhs.ch/eng/contact.html and let them know how you feel and what you would like as a customer.
Thank you very much for your help; it's greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Christian & Mitka

--
WatchGuy
Watch Repair & Service
"

I guess this is tied in with the European Courts ruling that Swatch are no longer obligated to provide Swiss movements to competitors, hence the scrambling amongst watch makers to develop their own movements?

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I like the email from the watch repair guy.

The "if you have time to fill out a questionaire" was worthy of a post on here.

You gotta hand it to him.

You also like it when they shout who wants seconds don't you?

Well this morning I finally bit the bullet. Just under a months salary for something that tells me something that I can get by looking at my phone or asking a stranger, but God I am excited! 

Got a very good deal, 20% lower than the retail value and they had to order to watch in specially for me as they don't stock it! Picture below, but I'll take some real pictures when it arrives (Hopefully next week)!

Love the single-push chronograph on it - a very rare feature on a watch in this price range.

2.jpg

5 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

Well this morning I finally bit the bullet. Just under a months salary for something that tells me something that I can get by looking at my phone or asking a stranger, but God I am excited! 

Got a very good deal, 20% lower than the retail value and they had to order to watch in specially for me as they don't stock it! Picture below, but I'll take some real pictures when it arrives (Hopefully next week)!

Love the single-push chronograph on it - a very rare feature on a watch in this price range.

2.jpg

Sorry I didn't deliver the news I was supposed to but haven't had the chance to visit that watch store.

Anyway enjoy your new piece of art and craft.

3 hours ago, Cisse said:

Sorry I didn't deliver the news I was supposed to but haven't had the chance to visit that watch store.

Anyway enjoy your new piece of art and craft.

No worries! At the price I found it for I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been much cheaper and after flights would have been a lot more although the experience of a new city would have been fun!

• 2 weeks later...