Richard Keogh

-JW-

Richard Keogh  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well he didn't play great today and his performances in general this season have been poor at best. The weakest part of his game is his passing and he is not a leader of men and shouldn't be captain imo.

Of the 4 CB's we have at the club (Keogh, Bucko, Whitbread, Wisdom) he is probably the worst. Should McClaren drop him, or is he untouchable because he is captain, and cost a hefty fee??

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last couple of games have been a slight improvement but he's still poor imo.

Can't believe he won POTY last year. He was only slightly better than now. We probably got punished less but he's always struggled when he's turned around.

Forsyth gets on my nerves more.

The general defence of Keogh I see is 'He was POTY last season, he'll come good, he hasn't turned into a bad defender overnight", that sort of stuff, but to me the award was based far more (maybe even purely) on him being an ever present and contributing to our scoring efforts than in recognition of any solid defending. His defending has always been questionable.

This season he hasn't looked in the slightest bit a threat to the opposition, so every error that he does make is not being balanced out by a positive contribution. Every time we have a corner or a set piece I'm willing him to get a goal more than any other player, but it just isn't happening.

I'm always on about Keogh's weaknesses, I'm afraid it's become a habit. I find myself making the sort of off-hand exaggerated critical comments about him I'd curse others for making about other players. That's not what I'm trying to do here, it feels like I'm being massively unfair, but some aspects of his performances are making it difficult.

I think he needs some time out of the team, definitely, but then I've not seen enough from Whitbread to say one way or another whether he's much better defensively.

I imagine Wisdom won't have any problems playing in the right CB slot, looked like he was right footed and is obviously comfortable at RB.

Thinking about it, that YouTube footage of him posted on here shows him playing right side of centre, so maybe he can do it. Woild like to see him and Bucko together but don't think it'll happen sadly.

The general defence of Keogh I see is 'He was POTY last season, he'll come good, he hasn't turned into a bad defender overnight", that sort of stuff, but to me the award was based far more (maybe even purely) on him being an ever present and contributing to our scoring efforts than in recognition of any solid defending. His defending has always been questionable.

This season he hasn't looked in the slightest bit a threat to the opposition, so every error that he does make is not being balanced out by a positive contribution. Every time we have a corner or a set piece I'm willing him to get a goal more than any other player, but it just isn't happening.

I'm always on about Keogh's weaknesses, I'm afraid it's become a habit. I find myself making the sort of off-hand exaggerated critical comments about him I'd curse others for making about other players. That's not what I'm trying to do here, it feels like I'm being massively unfair, but some aspects of his performances are making it difficult.

I think he needs some time out of the team, definitely, but then I've not seen enough from Whitbread to say one way or another whether he's much better defensively.

agree totally with your comments, except the last bit, i feel what needs to happen is that we spend and get a decent partner for him to cover the weaknesses he has, sometimes he just makes the wrong decision, with him at cb with a new partner(im thinking either a barker/shackell kind), andre wisdom at rb(not seen him play myself but everyone seems to think he's comfortable) and maybe a new lb(craig will have to do for now i guess) we will have a back four capable of keeping teams out. As much as i love bucko there is no real place for him in the first team(i very much like bucko as someone to bring on at the end for holding teams out, great replacement for eustace late into the game, really hope mclaren sees it the same way :p)

Totally offtopic but anyone know when hendrick is back?

Since the departure of Shack our defence has look consistently poor. Keogh was lauded by many as a younger improvement but I thought he looked mediocre at best, with no leadership qualities, presence or defensive discipline that we desperately need.

I understand he won player of the year, but he is one of these players that always flatters to deceive. People notice the last ditch tackles (the best aspect of his game) but don't notice his deficiencies that put him in the situations. He doesn't have a great track record either.

Put it this way, we signed for an undisclosed believed to be in the region of £1.5m. Does anyone think we would get even half of that for him if we tried to sell him now. 

In short, don't rate him. Rather have Bucko out of the two.

As has been said get a decent cb next to him and we will be fine.

the defence drop to deep with the current pairing inviting pressure; thankfully the manager and not polls will pick the team

Archived