Richard Keogh

-JW-

Richard Keogh  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keogh is awful, another dross signing. 

I can rememeber all those people who said he was better than Shackle when we signed him in their blind defence of the former manager. 

Lets hope he can be on his way to Sheff Utd or somewhere asap.

Get Wisdom at CB , lets have a look at him in his true position.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just not sure you can use other players not covering for Keogh making a calamtous balls-up of what should be simple things (for a good standard Championship defender) as an excuse. Keogh often:

- struggles to make simple passes without taking an age to shape his body, which the opposition can read like a book.

- struggles to make more incisive passes without putting too much on it, blasting it at his targetted player so they struggle control it

- can not play accurate high balls. (He just can't)

- doesn't head the ball clear of goal, often heads weakly no no more than 10 yards, usually to an opponent

- lacks body strength to win aerial challenges

- doesn't know when he should stand off a player and when he should close them down, then when he does make a decision:

- rushes/bumbles into tackles that leave him totally exposed (not just at CB, down the wings too - his lack of commmunication was Freeman caused us so many problems in the home matches)

- pushes up to try to head balls in midfield, which he doesn't win, with the ball bouncing/flying over his head.

You can excuse these things if they happen every so often, no defender is perfect, but when they're a common occurance you've got a problem. For what it's worth I don't think Keogh displayed most of these against Birmingham, just the ball-at-feet ones.

The last 3 you could sometimes accuse Buxton of, but he seems to have become much more disciplined - perhaps it is because Keogh's being the more aggressive (in terms of attacking the ball) of the 2 and it's enabled him to be a bit deeper.

ALSO: I Still have no idea how relegated, admin threatened Coventry who would go on to not even have their own ground managed to get anything more than 500k out of us for this deal, or any deal for that matter. Let alone double that. It's a ridiculous amount of money to pay a club in their position.

Some selective memories about Shackell here.

I thought he was ok. Bit like Keogh last season. But he used to drive me mad. He'd do brilliantly to turn an attacker to play his way out of trouble, then spray a Hollywood pass straight to the opposition CB.

He's a slight improvement on what we have now, but I don't think he was this fantastic CB that anyone looked good next to. He wouldn't be the difference between where we are now and top six, IMO.

I think we either need a true leader at the back that Keogh can look up to and learn from, or give the captaincy to Bryson/Eustace to take that responsibility off him. Buxton and Keogh should be a more than adequate partnership towards the top of this league, but by and large only 50% of that partnership is performing.

Keogh is awful, another dross signing. 

I'm not his biggest fan but he's far from awful and dross. He's pretty average, does as many good things as bad. The fee we paid for him makes it worse though. 

If we were describing Claude Davis and Darren Moore in our PL season then that's how I would describe them. 

I'm not his biggest fan but he's far from awful and dross. He's pretty average, does as many good things as bad. The fee we paid for him makes it worse though. 

If we were describing Claude Davis and Darren Moore in our PL season then that's how I would describe them. 

To be fair my rating of dross was to harsh , please see new thread on player ratings.

That was the thing with Shackell. His distribution was poor. Needed to cut that out big time and he'd be as good as you can get outside the PL.

Keogh probably needs a couple of clean sheets and a handful of solid performances to get himself calm and focused.

Unfortunately our poor defending comes from the flanks too so in not sure he's getting a fair deal.

The whole team has defended poorly and it's improved massively since Eustace stepped in. Forsyth needs to wake up and Smith too. With Wisdom stepping in at RB I pray that he's going to solve half the problem.

I think that he could go on to become a better player and if he came into our defence a few seasons back he could really have developed, (bray - keogh - shackell - Roberts) as he would not have had as much pressure, however he is not going to get any better in our current set up IMO and he currently just isn't good enough to lead our defence, has been 2nd best to bucko and whitbread (from what I've seen of him) all season, would much prefer to see an experienced head come in as he could really blossom if he had a few more solid experienced players to learn from

you say that, but please tell me how many (opposition) goals have come down our left side, compared to coming through the middle.

I couldn't give you a total but free kicks given away and crosses not stopped are high from that side. A new left back is needed. I'm not disagreeing, Keogh should be dropped

I couldn't give you a total but free kicks given away and crosses not stopped are high from that side. A new left back is needed. I'm not disagreeing, Keogh should be dropped

OH In that case, there's no argument. (apart from Forsyth is playing out of position), we need a new defence full stop.

Archived