NC to SUFC

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel was no more on the verge of doing anything here than England were on the verge of winning something in the 'golden generation'

limited ability, limited tactics, limited awareness, limited football..

People naturally get sucked into to believing things they like..

I thought Barca was on the verge of winning the treble again last season, turns out a lack of squad depth and a terrible week scuppered that.. Truth is, they made bad decisions (rushing Messi back from injury, no cover at the back, persisting with an out of form Alexis etc.) and the classic being they were simply not good enough..

Who said we were expected to get promotion this year? And automatic?

There was nothing wrong with the start we've had apart from the dropped points at home. This would have changed eventually.

How much time are you prepared to give McLaren to get us promoted then?

Oh please. We were given so much spin by Glick regarding this wonderful 5-year plan. Not necessarily in the autos, just promotion by the end of the 5th year. We were never going to get that this year and i still think we won't.

Well, McClaren was given a 2 and a half year contract, right? That's the time frame. I wholeheartedly believe that Rush wants us in the Prem after all this, there's no settling for mid-table anymore.

If Nigel had any money, instead of selling to buy, and sometimes he wasn't given the money he generated i.e Brayford money, IMO he may have achieved a top 6 finish. He wanted players like Hooper, Vaughan through the years.

And spent the money on Sammon.

Oh please. We were given so much spin by Glick regarding this wonderful 5-year plan. Not necessarily in the autos, just promotion by the end of the 5th year. We were never going to get that this year and i still think we won't.

Well, McClaren was given a 2 and a half year contract, right? That's the time frame. I wholeheartedly believe that Rush wants us in the Prem after all this, there's no settling for mid-table anymore.

Rush can wish all he likes, but getting there is another matter. There's no getting away from it - Nigel had built a very competent Championship side. Following the debacle of the previous fling with the Prem, most sane people knew that it would take 3 to 4 years to steady the ship.

It did.

Nigel was no more on the verge of doing anything here than England were on the verge of winning something in the 'golden generation'

I thought Barca was on the verge of winning the treble again last season, turns out a lack of squad depth and a terrible week scuppered that.. Truth is, they made bad decisions (rushing Messi back from injury, no cover at the back, persisting with an out of form Alexis etc.) and the classic being they were simply not good enough..

So you was wrong about Barca but right about Clough? :rolleyes:

wumiester :p

Rush can wish all he likes, but getting there is another matter. There's no getting away from it - Nigel had built a very competent Championship side. Following the debacle of the previous fling with the Prem, most sane people knew that it would take 3 to 4 years to steady the ship.

It did.

It didn't take Sunderland 3 to 4 years to bounce back from being the worst ever PL side..

In fact, they did it twice, and bounced back the following season both times..

It didn't take Sunderland 3 to 4 years to bounce back from being the worst ever PL side..

TBF they spent around 8/9 million on players, got rid of most of their crap and had Mick McCarthy in charge after their 15 point season. We had Jewell.

Nigel never had the opportunity to buy seven players worth million quid+, because Jewell did.

TBF they spent around 8/9 million on players, got rid of most of their crap and had Mick McCarthy in charge after their 15 point season. We had Jewell.

Nigel never had the opportunity to buy seven players worth million quid+, because Jewell did.

And judging by what he has done when he has spent a decent amount, I think we need to thank the Lord for that.

You seem to have very conveniently forgotten that in many of the preceding seasons prior to eventual promotion we were a lot worse than we are now.

Davies' team were hopelessly equipped and nowhere near good enough to survive in the Prem.

That must not be forgotten, and is the reason why it has taken this long to re-establish ourselves.

This was Nigel's defining season and he ought to have been given the opportunity to see it out.

And judging by what he has done when he has spent a decent amount, I think we need to thank the Lord for that.

1.2 million is not a decent amount, Peterborough signed  a player for that much in the 3rd tier. He wanted Hooper and Vaughan, and both would have been great signings.

Archived