Chrissy Martin Derby's Number 9...

JE90

Interesting! 

Interesting. My view is Mclaren likes pace up front and will replace him as soon as he finds someone.

You may be right pej, but don't forget that Jim Smith, and Steve, played Ron Willems in a very similar role to that Chris Martin is currently playing, with Dean Sturridge playing off him.

Ron and Chrissy had similar strengths - able to control/hold the ball up/bring others into play both from midfield and strikers; able to pick a pass; and weren't shabby in front of goal either - and similar weaknesses, primarily a lack of out and out pace. Though I would argue that Martin's pace is mainly in his speed of thought - bit like Teddie Sheringham in that regard

But all players have weaknesses, the issue is how you fit them into a team where their qualities flourish and others make up for the weakness.  Alan Hinton couldn't head a ball or tackle to save his life, but his crossing and shooting were world class.

It doesn't mean to say that he is necessarily a Premier League player where maybe pace is a more basic requirement - just as Ron Willems wasn't - but in this league and this team in my view he contributes significantly.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may be right pej, but don't forget that Jim Smith, and Steve, played Ron Willems in a very similar role to that Chris Martin is currently playing, with Dean Sturridge playing off him.

Ron and Chrissy had similar strengths - able to control/hold the ball up/bring others into play both from midfield and strikers; able to pick a pass; and weren't shabby in front of goal either - and similar weaknesses, primarily a lack of out and out pace. Though I would argue that Martin's pace is mainly in his speed of thought - bit like Teddie Sheringham in that regard

But all players have weaknesses, the issue is how you fit them into a team where their qualities flourish and others make up for the weakness.  Alan Hinton couldn't head a ball or tackle to save his life, but his crossing and shooting were world class.

It doesn't mean to say that he is necessarily a Premier League player where maybe pace is a more basic requirement - just as Ron Willems wasn't - but in this league and this team in my view he contributes significantly.

Interesting! 

Interesting. My view is Mclaren likes pace up front and will replace him as soon as he finds someone.

Will it be 1 in 3 after 46 games though ?

Didn't McLaren sign Mark Viduka (I think) too can't remember him being very quick. As long as we have quick people in the team to do his running I can't see the issue.

If only we had someone as pacey as Sturridge up front with Martin.

You mean Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward!?!?!

I think its pretty obvious going forward we're as good as we need to be to get promoted.

Its the defence that needs tightening.

We've scored the most goals in the league! Are you people mad?!

You mean Johnny Russell and Jamie Ward!?!?!

I think its pretty obvious going forward we're as good as we need to be to get promoted.

Its the defence that needs tightening.

We've scored the most goals in the league! Are you people mad?!

Not as quick as Daniel's Uncle.

He used to be on MTV Chrissy Chrissy

Now he's playing for Derby Chrissy Chrissy

He sings a song, he scores a goal

He's Derby right down to the soul

Chrissy Martin, Derby's number 9

I'm here all week.

Yep, and we'll be glad when half term's over

I'm thankful i've seen this thread because i have needed a good DCFC related moan to counter out my increasing optimism this past week.

What a dire ******* song, truly embarrassing. Do these lot not ever think about any of the ***** they sing. The Craig Byrson song is just as bad as well, and that's before we get to the likes of Dale Cavesa, We love you etc etc. 

Nick and his little mob need to pack in their new songs, and the drum whilst were at it, (disclaimer - i have respect for Nick and his safe standing efforts/home atmosphere) as it's limiting the atmosphere on the road and making our away end rival the likes of Mk Dons and Reading for noise and wittiness. 

Your parents are paying teachers to go on holiday then?

Think that deserves a whole chant of its own.

Well, we're at school longer to be fair. I have 5 hours of lessons a day (3 and a 1/2 on Wednesdays), considering some of my mates at college don't go in til 12 some days or finish at 1, the holiday's even it out.

Emergency loan to Sheff Utd, then 500,000- 1,000,000 In Jan would do nicely

For Martin? One of our top scorers and excellent hold up player? A player that makes excellent runs off the ball creating space and bringing team mates into the game? Best finisher at the club... that Chris Martin?

Bizarre.

I'm thankful i've seen this thread because i have needed a good DCFC related moan to counter out my increasing optimism this past week.

What a dire ******* song, truly embarrassing. Do these lot not ever think about any of the ***** they sing. The Craig Byrson song is just as bad as well, and that's before we get to the likes of Dale Cavesa, We love you etc etc. 

Nick and his little mob need to pack in their new songs, and the drum whilst were at it, (disclaimer - i have respect for Nick and his safe standing efforts/home atmosphere) as it's limiting the atmosphere on the road and making our away end rival the likes of Mk Dons and Reading for noise and wittiness. 

I try and stand as far away as possible from our singing lot. 

I try and stand as far away as possible from our singing lot. 

I love Nick to bits, proper decent bloke and personally think he's a quality person. But his little gang, in their efforts to improve atmosphere, sadly affect the atmosphere for me by singing cringeworthy, sycophantic and embarrassing songs. We're men, we like to be macho and passionate at football. It's a tribal thing.

Archived