NOW will they give Steve McClaren the money

kenzzo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest - when I heard about Steele, and Simpson I assumed as much.

McClaren will be on a lot, lot more money than Clough and the two coaches will be on huge money in comparison to the old staff. We look like we're banking on this working out, just hope for us it does. 

The 'we would likely not be in this position today' bit does not necessarily hold true. Many teams have thrown money at a problem in order to fix it, only to find that the problem got worse or manifested itself somewhere else. There is no guarantee that spending a wad in August would have seen any different sort of outcome.

We'll never know now will we....

Let's be honest - when I heard about Steele, and Simpson I assumed as much.

McClaren will be on a lot, lot more money than Clough and the two coaches will be on huge money in comparison to the old staff. We look like we're banking on this working out, just hope for us it does. 

Steele would have been earning loads at united, would be interesting to find out how big a salary drop he has made.

Does anyone seriously believe Nigel had lots of money to spend but refused too. More like he was operating on very tight budgets and was trying to get by now hoping he could use more money later in season.

Ignoring the likes of notts_ram, if you didn't agree with Clough's tactics/subs etc, you can still appreciate his transfer dealings have been pretty good. Yes, I know not every single transfer has been absolutely brilliant, but his success rate was good considering wages restrictions too.

I just wish he had been allowed to sign Hooper.

Steele would have been earning loads at united, would be interesting to find out how big a salary drop he has made.

Lets be fair, Steele is widely regarded as one of the best coaching keepers in the world. 

I don't think we could have afforded to be 'short' with him in terms of wages, this is why I think we've made vast changes in our rational coming into the new era!

We'll never know now will we....

No, we won't.

I'm a scientist and permit myself to postulate and hypothesise, but success or failure in football doesn't seem to follow any logic. I'll be there tomorrow shouting my lungs out in hope, but I try not to over-analyse things that I can't really affect.

No, we won't.

I'm a scientist and permit myself to postulate and hypothesise, but success or failure in football doesn't seem to follow any logic. I'll be there tomorrow shouting my lungs out in hope, but I try not to over-analyse things that I can't really affect.

I'm a scientist too Eddie and I agree with your conclusion that you can do yourself an injury trying to understand certain things. However I cannot get past the fact that we have an ex egg chasing agent thinking he knows better than a true football man. And where have we got with this change, backwards if you ask me, as MacLaren's and Rush's quotes seems to indicate that it is not Premiership or bust this year but that he has a couple of years to show progress...

"We want to keep the homegrown players coming through, build on the academy, and build an environment and culture for the players to challenge for a play-off spot, then eventually get in the play-offs and eventually then to be one of the contenders to go up into the Premier League.

Backed up by Sam Rush's quote

"Our goal is to have Derby County competing for a play-off place and beyond, and we feel with Steve and his team at the helm we have a great opportunity to do so."

"We've got two years to do that. It's a building process and not something that's going to happen overnight."

Does anyone seriously believe Nigel had lots of money to spend but refused too. More like he was operating on very tight budgets and was trying to get by now hoping he could use more money later in season.

Ignoring the likes of notts_ram, if you didn't agree with Clough's tactics/subs etc, you can still appreciate his transfer dealings have been pretty good. Yes, I know not every single transfer has been absolutely brilliant, but his success rate was good considering wages restrictions too.

I just wish he had been allowed to sign Hooper.

Lots of money? No. Some money? Yes. Maybe he was trying to get by now but with our back 4 looking leaky and short in terms of depth it was probably not the best idea. Nigel kept stating something along the lines of "if we can find someone better than what we have for the money we have then there is scope to bring someone in" now Rush has said that there was always money to spend. So I think, going off what they both said, that there was money to spend but that Nigel felt that he couldn't get anyone in better than Buxton, Keogh, etc for the money he had. Whether this was Nigel having too high a regard for his current defensive options or there was nobody out there.

On the whole Nigel's transfer dealings were average. For every great signing there were a couple that didn't work. Then there were alright signings. You'll probably get that sort of ratio with a small budget but I don't think it helped with having such a narrow search parameter. He seemed to want a UK based team and as a result you restrict yourself massively in who you can get of genuine quality in a budget. I'm not saying we should have more foreign players, more that we shouldn't care where they're from as long as they're the best we can get.

I imagine McClaren won't have a huge war chest either and will be on an equally tight budget, most clubs are now if you're not QPR, Leicester or Forest.

Hooper? So QPR bid for him and the next season Celtic bid for him and get him and you think he would have come to us if it wasn't for the board?

I've just spoken to a Millwall fan who told me they interviewed McClaren over the summer before they got Lomas in.  He told them he needed a £22m budget just to get them competitive.  Presumably that's playing budget (wage bill + transfer fees etc), but even so, it's far above what we were appeared to be planning on spending this season.

I've just spoken to a Millwall fan who told me they interviewed McClaren over the summer before they got Lomas in.  He told them he needed a £22m budget just to get them competitive.  Presumably that's playing budget (wage bill + transfer fees etc), but even so, it's far above what we were appeared to be planning on spending this season.

Derby have a far better Team than Millwall, so presumably the figures will be a lot different.

Archived