New Manager?

Catch 23

Football is a results business.

Tony Pulis has proven he can take an average side and get the very best out of them.

What he did at Stoke was nothing short of miraculous. Those in the game all feel he was harshly treated to be sacked.

He seems the outstanding choice by some way.

I hope Nigel Clough is given the chance to work his magic with a decent club and more importantly; a decent board. I felt he was never actually given the chance to really spend at Derby and build a team capable of mounting a serious challenge.

You only have to look at yesterdays game.

We were playing against a Forest side with a squad nearly twice the size of ours brimming with quality. Clough never had those funds available to him.

I will look back at this time with the club in a very positive light and I feel that any club around the Championship level could do a lot worse than appointing him should they lose their manager.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this a few times now,

Tony Pulis is a footballing engineer - he gets the absolute strengths out of his players, and will play to every tiny strength. He'd take time to bed in, but he does have something to offer.

I think saying he became THAT successful by saying 'kick it long' is naive.

I'd take Pulis now, definitely. 

My list:

Pulis, Di Matteo and O'Neil - I would be happy about! - and for me, I don't think if there was NOTHING on the table, these would come.

Powell, and Darren Ferguson(left field option there) I would be open to seeing how they do - Powell has done extremely well with Charlton and Darren Ferguson seems to play explosive football, exciting football and finds some unbelievable gems!! 

Di Canio and Poyet are both mental, not right for this club iMO.

and my idea of absolute hell is Warncok, McClaren, PEARCE and McLeish!!

DANNY WILSON???

Always rated him since he got Barnsley out of this division and into the Prem.

Sheff Utd now bottom of their league - when Wilson had them they were one goal away from promotion and in automatic position when sacked!

Very experienced, plays good passing football, very professional likeable guy!

It's late, been a long hard 24 hours for us all. Please let's not give ourselves nightmares beyond those or warnock, Pearce and co.

BTW. Mr Wilson lost his job for the reasons you ably listed above.

He was also managing in that division foe a reason.....

This is a nightmare I refuse to have ..... I hope

Repeat to oneself. ,..... No Danny Wilson...

Now Howard Wilkinson....there is a dream thought ....yours was a dream too???

Warnock , but think he will stay retired - don't like him personally, but he can def motivate players.

Di mateo  not sure about this, but better than the majority of the others.

Checkbook not big enough for Mclaren.

It could be that the Board have decided to throw their hat at it - and spend big bucks, and

hence a new manager with prem experience - really doubt this thou,.Might be Sir Alex eh!!

Can I ask why?

I still thing he is a bloody good manager.

I watched his teams at Cardiff for a few years,always had to sell his best player every season,used to play great football,and finish in the top 6 most seasons.

His style of football was great to watch,and would pluck players from lower league,and turn them into very good players.

If I'm not mistaken,he signed (before they made a name) Chris Burke,Roger Johnson,David Marshall (Scotland keeper) Peter Whittingham etc,(I know he was known) etc

I know it's not gone well at Wednesday,but I think he'd do a really good job here,used to surviving on a budget,

Let's not forget what he did at Wolves and Southampton too.

It's probably Pulis. Good shout if you don't know or care about football. Track record with Stoke is enough to sell him I reckon. For an investor, the promise of premiershit football is what they're desperate for, he's available and won't likely demand big bucks.

Boooo. Clough in. :(

I wonder financially which is the most attractive: a full ground every week in the middle of the Championship, or a literally empty ground every week but a place in the Chumpions league?

A full ground? Attendances are falling, for whatever reason, so it wouldn't be long before they became a problem.

Gutted to here about this at first. Always hoped, like many others, that Cloughie would be the one, and still have nightmares that forest will eventually get him, and history repeats itself. You know the universe is like that.

Now it's sank in though. Nigel did a job. He was what we needed at the time, no one else would have touched us at that time, but he not only stabilised is, but created a really good infrastructure. But was a manager with only experience of the conference realistically likely to get us promoted? And I we did, do we honestly think Nigel is premier league manager material?

Makes me sound like a hypocrite, but if Forest ever did get Nigel, I'd laugh, because he simply isn't anything more than a championship manager at best. He's taken us as far as he can. And I don't think he'll take anyone these any further.

Getting rid if him is not a decision I could have emotionally made, but now I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to get someone of that proven premier league quality in. Ideally someone with experience of taking a team up, and keeping them up. And that's quite exciting.

I think we need someone who can pick up where Nigel left off. They need to respect the youth policy, the passing philosophy and the attitude of making signings that will play for the club, not themselves. These are good things that Nigel did.

But he was tactically poor, with no plan b, and poor use of subs. Just that little bit more nouce would sort us out.

Pulis: don't like his style, but his track record can't be denied, so I wouldn't be gutted if it was him. If we don't get instant results though, he can go. But I wouldn't want to see him stifle our skillful young players.

Di Canio: apart from being a nutter, I'd be worried he'd want to tear this team apart and rebuild it in his own image, like he did at Sunderland, only to be sacked.

McClaren: I like the idea of this. So he did a crap job at forest. That ought to reaffirm his derby hero status. He's mostly done a good job. The work he did with Middlesbrough and Fulham can't be denied. Just worried, based on Forest, that he wouldn't adhere to the 'play for the team' rule, when it comes to new players. But, given that the next transfer window isn't for a while, he'd have to play with what he has, and will hopefully realise he doesn't need to mess about too much in Jan.

Igor (or any other sentimental appointment): I don't think we should get anyone purely based on their connections with the club. I think that was the right thing to do at the time with Nigel, but we need to be able to pull the plug with no emotion if it's all going a bit pear shaped now. We need instant results.

O'Neil: My favourite. Probably too expensive. But he's got plenty if East Mids connections, so he might like to collect the full set.

Can't really think of many more I'd want to consider.

That turned into a bit if an essay. I don't post that often, but when I do, there's a lot but up :)

What is this stuff about Pulis's track record? Yes he got stoke up and kept them up( by spending a huge amount of money), but his track record elsewhere is no better than Clough's. Paul Jewell has a better track record than Pulis. And if he was some kind of magic promotion winning bullet, why haven't any other championship clubs appointed him? There's been a fair few looking for managers this summer.

Archived