Bolton Wanderers v Derby County

mozza

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result, sounds like a decent game. Funnily enough I nearly went, I was in Manchester today and was toying with the idea of hopping over but I've work tomorrow and I would have been unable to get back home tonight. I reckon my fingers would have been chewed to the bone though!

Twas a good game, first half was proper end to end stuff, johnny unlucky not to get his hat trick. On the basis of that performance they'll not be around the bottom half for long.

A few folk round me were bemoaning our tactics in the second half. I thought they were spot on, good shape and set up in the manner that burnley did against us. Forcing Bolton to break us down and hit them on the break.

Thought we struggled to find any real rhythm with our passing, hughes forced wide to combat their fullback bombing on. The pitch was zippy and they seemed to outnumber us, couldnt work out their formation. We did well to bounce back from a shaky start, i think we'll look back on this as a very good point.

Smith and Russell stood out for me. Eustace and bryson did well to contain their midfield who i thought looked pretty good, just lacking a bit of composure with the final ball.

All in all decent performance, lets back it up with a home win!

Smith was our brightest player tonight. He will benefit from a run in the team.

Coutts was bl00dy awful when he came on. The sooner we can get Albrighton in the better.

Centre backs looked shaky.

Dissappointed we didn't go out to try and win in the second half. Different game when Hughes went off.

Grant will be Dissappointed not to stop the second but it was still a decent shot into the corner.

Just back and I agree Rodley. Very good point that and we could have won it in the second half when the ball was kicked off the line - Bryson should really have scored.

But it looked to me as if both managers wanted to tighten the game up after a very open first half. There were fewer chances in the second for both sides and we cancelled each other out. But when I compare this performance to last seasons at Bolton we are way ahead. Stronger options on the bench; Russell took two straightforward chances well, and looked fitter - a good 80 minutes; Chris Martin holds the ball up and lays it off ever so well; Bryson and Bucko excellent for me.

In the first half they appeared to attack down our right more often than most. Adam Smith needs some help in front of him at times and Hughesy struggles with that part of the game for me when it's him in front of Smith. But he'll get better.

Wardy had a quietish game but still whipped in some good free kicks. Eustace was excellent. Quietly effective, but noisy in his leadership and encouragement of the team; Granty should have done better with their second goal but made a couple of good saves in the first half and dealt very well with some challenging corners in the second. He's a real step up as a keeper from Frankie and Lego.

We're not the finished article by any stretch of the imagination but we are now a good team, in my view. And can get better.

Good point could have easily lost or won.

Coutts was dreadful when he came on.

Martin was genuinely lazy today previously he's been clever in his movement and not needed to put the yards in but today he didn't run enough.

Russell was class.

Forsyth will be torn apart by drenthe I agree.

Keogh, the worst game I've seen him have for a long time.

Ben Davies for Forsyth on Saturday? I think he offers us more as an outlet, he sounded a bit of a liability last night. We need someone in the middle to close down and clatter these finesse players that like booting the ball from 25 yards as well, I'd rather see a yellow card for clattering into eagles, rather than kicking the ball away...

Ben Davies for Forsyth on Saturday? I think he offers us more as an outlet, he sounded a bit of a liability last night. We need someone in the middle to close down and clatter these finesse players that like booting the ball from 25 yards as well, I'd rather see a yellow card for clattering into eagles, rather than kicking the ball away...

Maybe you should be watching a game with a different shaped ball :-)

Archived