"Sort the home form"

Alph

I'm pretty sure all the moaning about our home form is a bit OTT?

We've drawn with B'Burn and lost to Leicester and Burnley.

Leicester and Burnley who we always lose to?

Sort the home form? Is 3 games enough to call form? Just keep hearing it and I don't really think there's much to worry about.

Blackburn, Leicester, Burnley, Reading.

Is it just me that's not all that concerned? If anything lets us down I'd bet on the away form. Yeovil and Millwall will likely struggle. Not trying to take anything away from Derby winning (they won by a long way. No small achievement) but I just wouldn't say our typical away performances are buried yet in the same way I don't think we've got a problem at home.

It's too bloody early for league tables and form guides. "Derby haven't won a league at home all season"... wtf!

I write of Leicester games anyway. Last season was a blip in our relationship with them.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need consistency. Not much else to say really. I suspect we'll have the highs and lows again this season which comes from being midtable. We're on a high today thankfully.

It is a bit OTT but I can understand it as our home form was so good last year. Not sure I would ever write off games against bogey sides just based on our recent record though - Burnley really aren't that good, Leicester in fairness are a top 6 team.

I really don't believe we're far away at all. The home form I think is a consequence of teams working out that we like to play & the best way to beat us is to have two rigid banks of 4, absorb our passing & take their chances. Its actually complimentary of our ability but Clough now needs to find a way to unlock these sides.

I'm firmly of the opinion that we can't beat these teams mirroring a 4-4-2 - we need to be imaginative & play between the 2 banks. I like the diamond midfield formation that we have used on occasions - with Hughes as the most attacking midfielder & Eustace as the anchor, protecting the back 4. I'd also like to see much more of Jacobs - he's direct & offers something different.

I agree, nothing to worry about yet. The Burnley game was a shambles from all accounts, the other 2 were

pretty even could have gone either way, so reserving judgement.

The Burnley game was certainly a shambles- hopefully it'll prove to be just one of those freak off days.

The Blackburn game was infuriating - we should have won easily.

I'd say that the Leicester game was just that we were beaten by a far better team. Although they didn't 'thrash' us in either the play or the result, I felt that they had a plan and worked it perfectly. To me, Leicester look to have added discipline and organisation to their obvious flair and physicality. IMO Leicester will walk the division this season, which will add a bit of context to our result.

So although the form is clearly poor, the matches were all vastly different, so extrapolation is difficult. Let's just beat Reading and Ipswich and all the home worries will be forgotten.

We have played well away but as you say Yeovil and Millwall we should be winning. Brighton is a pleasing exception I expected nothing that day and the lads were great.

As for the home form. Yes we never do well against Leicester or Burnely but teams are sitting back and beating us on the break. It is not worrying but there is cause for concern in my opinion. If it doesn't change then it will become worrying

We'll be like the 1970 Brazil team when it starts dropping for Johnny.

Home games are gonna be tricky but teams will eventually give in. Things are looking up that's for sure, we might get battered now and again, like against Burnley especially when its just not going for us but so what?

Tortoise and the hare init.

This season I personally don't care if forest beat us in both games as long as we give top six a good going at.

Eustace could probably help sort out our home problems. Would allow the front five to simply pass the opposition apart while providing defensive cover, unlike what's been happening where the midfield have been getting into some sort of void. To far forward to help defend but to deep to create chances. 

As Cornwall Ram pointed out, the Blackburn game was infuriating as Derby should have won by at least two and tactics turned negative to defend a one goal gap when they were on the ropes. All in all I am overjoyed with the away form but as the club isn't used to such travelling fortune it has magnified that the team haven't clocked a good home result yet. Teams are coming to PP in the hope to gain a point which makes it harder on us to break them down.

I think we've got the away form sorted *touch wood*, however at home we need to play with more width, which Brayford provided a lot last season. Hopefully if we can get Albrighton that will help with width on the right, and means we can have Coutts for central midfield cover should anything happen to Hughes or Bryson.

My only fear is that if we do get Albrighton, Clough may try to 'shoe horn' him into our away games, where we have been excellent and that may disrupt things some what.

Albrighton for home games.

Stay as things are for away games.

Archived