Mark O'Brien

Scott129

Just asked Nicholson on Twitter about him and he said that he should be back in 4 weeks and that he's been running in the past few training sessions.

This kind of makes our CB situation a bit better in terms of numbers/cover but where would he fit into your plans if you were the manager? Or maybe you think he doesn't at all (injury record a bit too much)?

Is he good enough to partner Keogh/Buxton? Just for cover? Or would you still want to bring in a CB on loan?

Discuss.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll strengthen up over the next few years and if he stays fit I reckon he can make a career. Cracking leap and timing of a header, decent positionally, distribution pretty ropey though.

I'd say a fit OB pushes Jake all the way for the shirt.

Not only has he got potential, he will give a reason for Keogh/Buxton to step their games up or else they'll lose their first team spot.

Give them something to play for, perhaps the reason they don't look their best at the moment is because they don't really have anyone knocking on their door, I mean it doesn't look like gjokaj is going to be given a chance this early on in the season.

I would like to see someone who can not only beat a forward to the ball in the air but could also head the bloody thing more than 15 yards. All our headers seem to drop just outside our box. I know an all-round defender is hard to find at this level and for the money we have, But one giant bonehead and a ball-playing organiser would be a good enough combination. 

Sadly, I don't see either O'Brien or Buxton in those roles, honest professionals though they undoubtedly are.

OB will take less than 4 weeks to be fit maybe but that doesn't mean he will be able to play in the championship.

OB himself says he is aiming for the under 21 game vs Foresf for a comeback. He needs about 3 games in the unders before he can realistically push Keogh or Buxton so I would say it will be 6 to 6 weeks before he could start for the first team.

OB will take less than 4 weeks to be fit maybe but that doesn't mean he will be able to play in the championship.

OB himself says he is aiming for the under 21 game vs Foresf for a comeback. He needs about 3 games in the unders before he can realistically push Keogh or Buxton so I would say it will be 6 to 6 weeks before he could start for the first team.

I agree with that, in fact I'd probably give him even longer, ease him back in.

I'd give him 12 to 12 weeks ;-)

A 93 day "emergency loan" of someone like Craig Dawson would be bloody lovely, get us to Jan, until then we could be easing OB back with 15 minutes here and there.

O'brien is a decent enough defender but he's missed so much football he might never be the player he could have been. He looked excellent with shackell leading the defence, i wonder whether he would look as assured alongside keogh who has looked vulnerable at times.

He'll provide good back up and wont let us down but i would prefer an animal at the back who would be a better foil to keogh.

Archived