Mark O'Brien

Scott129

Just to add some perspective to the CB effectiveness debate

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/3859/Stages/7800/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2013-2014

If you click on the AW column header, this will sort the table into Aerial duels won. We're 10th - not that bad. Leeds are way ahead at the top though. Would you say they have good centre backs? (or I guess big centre forwards)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don`t have to be tall, Fabio Cannavaro was only 5`9", and what a player he was.

but the championship is quite big and Strong now, I would prefer defenders of decent quality over the six foot mark as If I remember correctly some people were moaning about not having enough height at the back anyway. Letting goals in from corners etc.

But your statement is correct, you don't need to be tall. But if you look at most of the best central defenders now, I'm sure you won't find many that are 5ft 9.

but the championship is quite big and Strong now, I would prefer defenders of decent quality over the six foot mark as If I remember correctly some people were moaning about not having enough height at the back anyway. Letting goals in from corners etc.

But your statement is correct, you don't need to be tall. But if you look at most of the best central defenders now, I'm sure you won't find many that are 5ft 9.

Would you say then that any team playing us needs to have two tall central defenders, do we offer that much aerial threat ?.

Would you say then that any team playing us needs to have two tall central defenders, do we offer that much aerial threat ?.

I wasn't on about us attacking.

but early on last season we did score quite a few goals from set plays. Russell scored quite a few headers when he was at dundee although I'm sure that's his physical jumping ability not height.

I'm not sure how to word this but, I feel that taller center backs are more useful than shorter center backs. As they can win in the air and on the ground. Which would make them, for me a better choice at center back. But as you and shabash have pointed out, there are world class center backs that are shorter.

But this is all my opinion of course.

Archived