Transfer profit/loss debate (split from Robinson thread)

eranio20

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said PRIOR to Doncaster's interest there were numerous sides interested in him, did I not?

A year ago Premiership sides were preparing to pay over a million, yet we sold the lad for ten times less the figures being quoted.

Great business. I'd have drove him to fookin Wigan for that.

How do you know no other side weren't interested anyway? Works both ways this argument.

I said PRIOR to Doncaster's interest there were numerous sides interested in him, did I not?

A year ago Premiership sides were preparing to pay over a million, yet we sold the lad for ten times less the figures being quoted.

How do you know no other side weren't interested anyway? Works both ways this argument.

You said you had seen his name linked to a dozen teams in the Championship. I was merely curious as to who they were, or was that a made up fact as you have just put up some dodgy links naming 3 sides. No need to answer really, I just wish some people on here would try and have enough belief in their posts not to come out with a load of crap.

If Dwight Gayle scores the goals that keep his team in the PL then how much is he worth?

Tens of millions to somebody.

Is Brayford worth as much to Cardiff as he was Derby.

Talking transfers is fun but the small amounts we're talking about for Theo then I don't think there's anything in it.

Not worth arguing chaps.

When you pay £30(?)m for a striker who's best season was in the Championship and its an all but impossible task to explain that worth... That's worth it?

Wigan

Boro

Fulham

Burnley

Donny

Huddesfield

Leeds

Mk Dons

Brum

Leicester

Blackpool

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7665737/Eyes-on-Robinson

That's from a year ago, granted. But my argument is, why didn't we cash in when all these clubs were lining up for his signature?

Only one came with the cash simples, and Theo was still in the side until Christmas, it's done it's over, for a lad who hasn't played for derby since winter and in final year of contract what else would you expect for him, it's just journalist talk I think the previous posters remarks regarding transfer tittle tattle is correct, it's fun to talk about transfers but it ain't worth getting upset etc over it ( I meantime not you getting upset!) ;)

If Dwight Gayle scores the goals that keep his team in the PL then how much is he worth?

Tens of millions to somebody.

Is Brayford worth as much to Cardiff as he was Derby.

Talking transfers is fun but the small amounts we're talking about for Theo then I don't think there's anything in it.

Not worth arguing chaps.

When you pay £30(?)m for a striker who's best season was in the Championship and its an all but impossible task to explain that worth... That's worth it?

I absolutely agree, I just think it shows a total disrespect to other people on the forum when some people clearly post made up stuff to try and back up a weak point. 

Wigan

Boro

Fulham

Burnley

Donny

Huddesfield

Leeds

Mk Dons

Brum

Leicester

Blackpool

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7665737/Eyes-on-Robinson

That's from a year ago, granted. But my argument is, why didn't we cash in when all these clubs were lining up for his signature? We all know he wasn't the answer.

I think you've answered your own question. I dont think anybody really made any kind of serious offer. If somebody offered over £1m for Theo he would of been gone in a flash.

They didn't.....

Chances are his agent was trying to drum up some interest and got this posted on sky sports.

Disrespect? mwahaha

Sorry, but didn't you laugh when I said there was a dozen clubs interested in Theo during the course of his time here? I named those cubs and gave links to the sources (how many people do that on here?)

Yet "I'm making stuff up"?

Fackin hell man, what more can I do to back myself up? I've linked you to articles stating other clubs interest, you post these little digs like "ya talking rubbish", "ya making it up".

How?! It's infront of your eyeballs!!!

I'm not the type of guy to exaggerate. I've backed up what I said and you abuse it. Ridiculous.

???

Uh... What?

You may as well have posted a picture of a duck. Bugger it, I'll post one, it's about as relevant as what you said to those quotes.

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Mandarin.duck.arp" alt="Mandarin.duck.arp">

I mean, really... what on Earth are you on about?

Let's repeat that second quote again.

Now, I don't see anything there saying that £300k was a solid value, but let's reread it again, just in case it was missed.

Nope... How about some more ducks then?

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Anas_platyrhynchos_male_female_quadrat" alt="Anas_platyrhynchos_male_female_quadrat.j">

Perfect!

flying V ?

Wait what? I remember there being paper talk, but "10 times less" would be talking about a figure of £1.5 mil, and I don't even remember the most out there estimates being that high. I doubt there was really any solid interest either, and from my knowledge there was never any club that made serious moves for him. It's one thing to say that there "were offers" with no evidence, but this post is just bizarre.

For the record, £150k is 1/6.666... of £1 mil, not 1/10.

I just don't get how Robinsons value is the same/less to what Milwall signed him from Huddesfield (a league one side at the time) three years ago.

Theo shown he can score goals in this league, surely. He is still young and now a international player.

His value should be higher now than to what it was when he was a league one player, solely because he's shown he can score goals at this level.

Fielding is the same - how many games did he play for Blackburn? We signed him for 400,000, he plays more games here than anywhere in his career, shows he's capable at this level and yet is flogged for less than the above figure. eh?!

I understand Maguire, he did nothing in his duration here. But Robinson and Fielding got first team championship football under there belts and for me they have shown they can hold there own at this level AND are better players now than to what they both were three years ago...

Why not wait until the mad near transfer day rush to flog Robinson? I'd seen his named linked to a dozen sides in this league prior to Donny snapping him up, I'm sure Leeds would have come in for him eventually. It's 150,000, Jesus .

That's something Burton would pay for a 30 something year old veteran, not a goal scoring 24 year old goal league rival.

The issue is that we wanted them gone, and were trying to turn our attention elsewhere. After him not featuring for much of the season teams weren't going to be lining up around the block for him, and ultimately we needed him to leave. It's annoying, but these things happen. The fact that we got anything for him is a step forward compared to past experience to be honest though.

...dailymail?

There was paper talk, but I don't ever call of any suggestions of an actual bid or serious interest coming from clubs.

It was on Sky Sports, The Sun and numerous other sites..?

It's funny when the media reports stories regarding Barca eyeing Will Hughes though isn't it? Figures of ten, fifteen million getting thrown around, you don't dismiss those do you?

Those stories don't get lablled bullshit.

But meh, you have way too much time of you're hands to keep harping on about percentages.

Not too fussed about if we lost afew grand on Theo, it's more so the fact we sell for peanuts all the friggin time.

Pearson, Fielding, Robinson, Maguire, Moxey, Davies, Pringle, Cywka, Bywater, Barnes, Todd, Albrechtsen, Davis, Zadkovich, Beardsley, Teale, Mceverley, Croft...

Never ending list, how much did we get for ALL those combined? This is why it's good to see these high sums touted for Hughes, we've got fobbed off so much over the years. How many players have we sold for a profit since Clough arrived nearly five years ago? Brayford? Moxey? Shackell...?

150,000 is laughable, that's what a league two side would pay. He's 24, scored plenty at this level and still don't get why we couldn't take a risk in holding out nearer the window closing. Clubs become desperate and spend crazy money. Leeds were interested, I'm sure they'd have paid more than Donny.

150,000 what the heck would that buy you ? A rocking horse for Mason Bennett?

I'm guessing we could buy a younger version of Theo on lower wages...can only imagine what your reaction would be though.

150k is a tad cheap if you think about it, I would have held on to him, when he started to bang goals in for the U21's his value would increase.

I don't understand why more clubs don't do it, Liverpool want £50m for Suarez, stick him in the U21's and he'd bag say 60 goals in a season, clubs would be all over him pushing the value up.

I'm guessing we could buy a younger version of Theo on lower wages...can only imagine what your reaction would be though.

A younger version of Theo?

What good would that be? He was slated to the absolute testicles for his touch of a ball.

Besides he's 24, hardly time for drawing his pension out just yet to be looking at someone younger.

Can't win can I? This BNC poster calls me a liar because I said a dozen clubs have chased Theo. I listed ALL the clubs and gave the links to back it up. Yet he still goes on to say "you're making stuff up". How? What exactly have I made up in this thread?

Look at it this way; Wigan paid Killie 600,000 for Sammon. In his sin at Wigan his value doubled for some unknown reason. Why was this? Did he take the Premiership by storm? Did he have 40 games under his belt? Or was it simply down to the fact a manager was dumb enough to pay over the odds for his service?

Robinson proved to be a goal scorer in this league and is now an international, that alone should add some value to the player.

How many players have we made a tidy profit on since 2000?

Ps Theo scored last night on his debut.

A younger version of Theo?

What good would that be? He was slated to the absolute testicles for his touch of a ball.

Besides he's 24, hardly time for drawing his pension out just yet to be looking at someone younger.

Can't win can I? This BNC poster calls me a liar because I said a dozen clubs have chased Theo. I listed ALL the clubs and gave the links to back it up. Yet he still goes on to say "you're making stuff up". How? What exactly have I made up in this thread?

Look at it this way; Wigan paid Killie 600,000 for Sammon. In his sin at Wigan his value doubled for some unknown reason. Why was this? Did he take the Premiership by storm? Did he have 40 games under his belt? Or was it simply down to the fact a manager was dumb enough to pay over the odds for his service?

Robinson proved to be a goal scorer in this league and is now an international, that alone should add some value to the player.

How many players have we made a tidy profit on since 2000?

Ps Theo scored last night on his debut.

Do you seriously believe any team showed a solid interest in paying £1million + for his services?

I'm pretty sure Nigel would have snapped their hands off.

It's ok saying wait for a better offer but there are only 2 weeks of transfer window left, if you don't sell when the opportunity arises you are left with a player that isn't making matchday squads being paid £x thousand per week and all of a sudden what could have been £150k in the bank is £150k spent on wages.

Would be interesting to know what wages Theo was on, especially as you point out he is such a potent goal scorer and an international...

Hence why we should have put him in the squad at Oldham.

Get him in the shop window and let him show his worth.

Fair enough he'd be cup tied, but if he scored a goal or two that would've see his value increase and more parties will have come knocking.

What good is it him playing at Buxton and scoring a hat trick? Who's that going to impress?

What about Bailey? When was his last game? Who in the right mind will have seen him since his return from Coventry? Even if its a two mintue cameo appearance; get the player on the field, let them prove themselves and see what happens instead of letting them sit in the stands depressed as a harpoon.

The longer they'll go without playing competitive football, the less they'll sell for.

Ask Giles Barnes.

That's something Burton would pay for a 30 something year old veteran, not a goal scoring 24 year old goal league rival.

Burton Albion record signing is £20,000 for Russ Penn. I think your massively overrating how much League 2 clubs actually spend on players.

Archived