Man Utd in the Cola wars

maydrakin

If this sort of thing actually happened, then someone at Man Utd needs to take a long hard look at themselves...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/manchester-united-almost-refused-to-play-against-a-league-all-stars-over-sponsorship-conflict/story-e6frf4gl-1226690844993#.Uf4UK2Q-sdhweb

MANCHESTER United's recent visit to Sydney almost became one of the biggest embarrassments in Australia's sporting history.

Just an hour before kick-off, the game was in danger of being abandoned over a sponsorship row involving soft drink giants Pepsi and Coca-Cola.

ANZ Stadium officials have confirmed Manchester United refused to take the field until Coke signs were removed from the giant screens.

Not an easy task considering Coke is one of the stadium's major backers and have poured in millions of dollars in recent years. Arch-rivals Pepsi recently signed a multi-million dollar deal with the Red Devils which created the problem.

The issue wasn't solved until 7.40pm - just 20 minutes before kick-off when Manchester United agreed to accept Mount Franklin water, another Coca-Cola Amatil product, on the big screens.

"Man U's commercial department threatened that the team would not run out if the Cola-Cola sign stayed on the big screen," an ANZ Stadium spokesman confirmed. "It wasn't discovered until the team arrived at the ground."

All this was happening behind the scenes as 80,000 fans and corporates began arriving at the venue.

An FFA insider confirmed: "There was a fairly heated discussion which involved FFA as well.

"The odd part is that there were lots of Man U people at the stadium three nights earlier for State of Origin and nothing was said about the signs.

"They could hardly say they were caught by surprise."

This isn't the first corporate clash at Sydney's Olympic venue.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coca-Cola is so over rated.

Please, I dare anyone to buy a can of Coke and a can of Pepsi, and take a sip from each, and come on here and tell me that Pepsi doesn't taste better than Coca Cola!

I DARE THEE!

They are both crap drinks - ribena for the win!

Coca-Cola is so over rated.

Please, I dare anyone to buy a can of Coke and a can of Pepsi, and take a sip from each, and come on here and tell me that Pepsi doesn't taste better than Coca Cola!

I DARE THEE!

They both taste like piss. No malt, no hops.

I went to see the Manchester United Tour in Stockholm on Tuesday night. They played V AIK Solna from Sweden Allsvenskan league in the Friends Arena which is AIK home stadium.

Firstly the tickets for this event ( i decided for event as opposed to match due to the consistant barrage of marketing) went on sale a month ago and were priced at 995 sek to 750 sek ( about 70 - 90 pounds). The AIK fans were quite vocal in their opposition to this and set up a boycott which caught the attention of natoonal media and was backed further by numeroys other supporters groups.

In the days running up to Tuesday it was apparant that very few tickets had been sold and the sellers were panicked into a huge price drop. I brough mine on Tuesday morning just before midday for 20 quid.

Secondly..and strangely the scoreboard had Man U as the home team.. Presume they had the home dressing room then! And the stadium was just a Man Utd advertising tool. Couldnt move for United this..United that. No other adverts what so ever.

Third.. United struggled to play ( or care) V AIK 2nd string mixed with youth players. They were abject!

Archived