Our season

chellastonRam

First time poster, so I thought I'd express my views. I've been a long time reader of this forum and it is infuriating me with some of the stuff fans are coming out with. This is the most excited I have been for a derby season in years. We have a fantastic midfield, full of quality young, hungry players. Yes the defence may be questionable but I think bucks is criticised far too much. his passing against west brom was absolutely faultless. He was against 2 very very good strikers in a team that finished in the top ten last season,in the biggest league of all. NC took more years than this to establish a burton Albion team that finally gained league status. I just think a little bit of patience is in order. This is clough a team now, I can easily see us finishing in the top 6 this season. Our strike force will cause so many problems against most opposition this season. Johnny Russell looks to be a fantastic signing, his composure, control and balance on the ball is absolutely brilliant. Anyway I just believe fans need to stop criticising until the team has actually played a few games of competitive football this season. I was one if the biggest sammon haters last season but even he is looking sharp and fit for the games ahead. This is our year! COYR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I naturally disagree..

I don't think we have a manager nor the players capable of winning more than we lose let alone make the top 6..

If you want to get excited by the season then by all means go for it, but don't criticise those that don't share your optimism.. Because that's what it is, pure optimism..

I've been on these boards since 2009 and every season under Clough I've read the same pre-season threads about how this is going to be our year, we're going to do this, that and the other, this striker is going to score X amount of goals, we're going to play like Brazil etc..

And the same thing has happened over the last few seasons.. We've been distinctly average and completely underwhelming in comparison to the noises coming out of PP.. It's like the typical 'England are going to do it this year' speech at every major tournament..

So forgive me if I don't share your optimism.. But I'll sit back, expect this season to be like any other under Clough, and hope for a miracle..

I respect that you've heard it every year, me personally I was not that excited about last year. We did not have the players to make the push forward. We did alot better than we did. Ive only watched one pre season game live and seen the highlights of the others. Some of the football and link up play we have come out with is nothing to be sniffed at. We will score alot of goals this season and if the defences steadies up then a top 6 push is very possible. The only thing that worries me is the negativity away from home, but hopefully the acquisition of Eustace will allow the attacking players of the team to the play with more freedom.

But will Clough have the balls to allow the team to go nd be attacking away from home. All I ever see from Clough is negativity when we play away.

However, I don't see top six without strengthening the defence. I understand people are being optimistic and I applaud that, but I smuggle to look past:

Right back - not played with the team, young, loan player

Centre back - good, makes a few positioning mistakes but otherwise solid

Centre back - slow, fouls a lot, positionally poor IMO

Left back - never played a full season in this position

Now, if I thought we had a manager and coaching staff who knew how to coach and develop a strong defence, I would feel more optimistic but I don't so I think defensively, even with Grant, I think we will struggle.

As for the defensive back ups, I think they are all league one at best.

I really want us to go out there, find a quality centre back, spend a million plus and make a statement to say, this is our year for top six.

Who cares!!

The only thing that matters is what actually happens on Sunday vs Blackburn.

Everyone is going to have different opinions just because its yours doesn't mean you should force your opinion upon anyone else.

Personally I think we say the same every year that this will be it etc. this is the best team Clough has had and the biggest squad depth across all positions except CB. Will it be good enough for promotion who knows. Enjoy what is about to unfold.

I naturally disagree..

I don't think we have a manager nor the players capable of winning more than we lose let alone make the top 6..

If you want to get excited by the season then by all means go for it, but don't criticise those that don't share your optimism.. Because that's what it is, pure optimism..

I've been on these boards since 2009 and every season under Clough I've read the same pre-season threads about how this is going to be our year, we're going to do this, that and the other, this striker is going to score X amount of goals, we're going to play like Brazil etc..

And the same thing has happened over the last few seasons.. We've been distinctly average and completely underwhelming in comparison to the noises coming out of PP.. It's like the typical 'England are going to do it this year' speech at every major tournament..

So forgive me if I don't share your optimism.. But I'll sit back, expect this season to be like any other under Clough, and hope for a miracle..

Sorry Bris, that is nonsense. There is not a team in this league we aren't capable of beating. If we can beat them at home, we SHOULD be able to beat them away, we are certainly capable. You're half-right with that sentence.

First time poster, so I thought I'd express my views. I've been a long time reader of this forum and it is infuriating me with some of the stuff fans are coming out with.

Dont get infuriated. Just agree with what I say and you'll be fine, you know it makes sense

Sorry Bris, that is nonsense. There is not a team in this league we aren't capable of beating. If we can beat them at home, we SHOULD be able to beat them away, we are certainly capable. You're half-right with that sentence.

Ladies and gentlemen, roll up roll up. It's what we've all been waiting for. Bris vs Motsyn. The old master vs the young pretender. Forget the footy, this is what the forum wanted. The loser is banned from the forum until xmas. The winner gets a go on notts_ram. Yes, like that.

Let battle commence.

I naturally disagree..

Ignoring the extremes of Bris or a blind faither, I think the average level of expectation has increased a couple of notches for this season.

Ladies and gentlemen, roll up roll up. It's what we've all been waiting for. Bris vs Motsyn. The old master vs the young pretender. Forget the footy, this is what the forum wanted. The loser is banned from the forum until xmas. The winner gets a go on notts_ram. Yes, like that.

Let battle commence.

troll

First time poster, so I thought I'd express my views. I've been a long time reader of this forum and it is infuriating me with some of the stuff fans are coming out with. This is the most excited I have been for a derby season in years. We have a fantastic midfield, full of quality young, hungry players. Yes the defence may be questionable but I think bucks is criticised far too much. his passing against west brom was absolutely faultless. He was against 2 very very good strikers in a team that finished in the top ten last season,in the biggest league of all. NC took more years than this to establish a burton Albion team that finally gained league status. I just think a little bit of patience is in order. This is clough a team now, I can easily see us finishing in the top 6 this season. Our strike force will cause so many problems against most opposition this season. Johnny Russell looks to be a fantastic signing, his composure, control and balance on the ball is absolutely brilliant. Anyway I just believe fans need to stop criticising until the team has actually played a few games of competitive football this season. I was one if the biggest sammon haters last season but even he is looking sharp and fit for the games ahead. This is our year! COYR

Welcome!

As much as I love your optimism and can identify with the frustrations of this forum, I don't think it's going to be quite as easy as you seem to be making out haha.

I also have to disagree with your point about Bucko. I thought he was the worst player on the pitch against West Brom with Hendrick the only one even close to challenging him.

Let battle commence.

And the loser gets a go on you

That's my problem how can anyone think Buxton is top 6?

Anyone who makes Glenn Murray look like Usain Bolt is too slow to get anywhere

That's funny because I'm sure we got promoted with Darren Moore and were an established Premier League team with Paul McGrath.

Welcome!

As much as I love your optimism and can identify with the frustrations of this forum, I don't think it's going to be quite as easy as you seem to be making out haha.

I also have to disagree with your point about Bucko. I thought he was the worst player on the pitch against West Brom with Hendrick the only one even close to challenging him.

Just out of interest what did you think Buxton did so wrong for him to be the worst player on the pitch?

Just out of interest what did you think Buxton did so wrong for him to be the worst player on the pitch?

Lost everything in the air (something he's touted as being good at) and his reactions and general movement were slow as hell.

Might be wrong with this one but was it not him who let Rosenborg go for their 2nd goal too?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a lot better than some people on here give him credit for, I just thought he was rubbish on Saturday.

Who are you refering to when you say 'them'?

Can't be Burnley for instance, we haven't beaten them feckers at all during NC's reign and at home since 2007..

Also, refering to our home form? Is winning 12/23 or 52% of our home games really that impressive?

We have the players to beat anyone in the NPC.. Whether we have the players to consistantly beat the other sides is a competely different matter.

Archived